C30-C32 low torque compared to others?

i guess V6 design and too much "easy to drive" orientation is the reason of realtively low torque at high rpms.
if you compare 3.2 liter to eurospec 3.2 liter it's even worse: 350nm vs 303nm

Well, many people can argue the pros and cons of a V6 vs an I6: long hood (space constraints), weight, torque curves, single TB vs dual tB, exhaust, etc. It would have been interesting to see a high rev inline 6 mounted in the NSX, but I think either a V-6 or I-6 from Honda would have have yielded close results. If today's technology was put into a high rev 3.0 or 3.2 6 cyclinder, they can make more hp and torque across the band while still getting better gas mileage. We are talking about Honda's late 1980s technology vs Bimmer's late 90s technology. The C30 is ahead of it's time and with 90 hp per liter without boost is still amazing today.

I have A 95 M3, and A 91 NSX( with bolt on mods).The M3 is a great car,as is the NSX.I would not judge these cars together because they are both great cars ,and in a different class.I like the M3 for getting groceries.My M3 is the best car of that size and class I have ever had .......

We are talking about Honda's late 1980s technology vs Bimmer's late 90s technology.

no no, E36 Eurospec M3 came out in 1993
its not just ITBs that distinguishes US model from eurospec. whole engine is different: pistons, compression, headers, intake manifold, cams, valves... everything
eu_spec_engine.jpg

us_spec_engine.jpg

US M3 vs. Euro M3 F.A.Q.
or: What's the difference between US M3's and Euro Spec. M3's?
Since this is one of the most frequently asked questions I receive by e-mail, I am posting a message which I usually send as a reply on this question:

The differences between the US and Euro BMW M3
There is a quite significant difference between M3's in the USA/Canada and M3's elsewhere (Europe/Asia etc.).

The "authentic" M3 (often referred to as the "Euro Spec." M3) has the real M-engine:

S50 B30 in the 3.0 Liter Euro M3 (built from 1993 to 1995)
S50 B32 in the 3.2 Liter Euro M3 (built from 1995 to present)

The S50 B30 develops 286 hp at 7000 rpm, the S50 B32 develops 321 hp at 7400 rpm.

The following are the engines of the US M3:

S50us B30 in the 3.0 Liter US M3 (built from 1995 to 1996)
S50us B32 in the 3.2 Liter US M3 (built from 1996 to present)

The S50us B30 and S50us B32 both develop 240 hp at 6000 rpm.

The US M3 engine is - from a constructors viewpoint - a tuned standard 3-series 6-cylinder motor: The S50us engine is a bored and stroked M50/M52 engine which was/is used in the 325i(s)/328i(s).

The Euro Spec. M3 engine is a hand-built engine which has Double-VANOS, 6 single throttles (one individual throttle body per cylinder) and has the characteristics of a racing engine: High engine speed red line almost at 8000 rpm, High specific power output of over 100hp/liter. The single throttles are a typical feature of all M-engines from the late Seventies M1 to the allnew E39 M5 8-cylinder. They all had/have single throttles. If you compare a picture of the US M3 engine with the Euro M3 engine with the hood open, you can see the difference by looking at the engine bay, even from distance.

Beside this essential difference, the US M3 also has a softer suspension, other headlights, wheels of different materials and other more or less minor differences. Also the US M3 is available with an automatic transmission beside the 5-speed manual gear box. The Euro Spec. M3 is only available with a 6-speed manual or a sequential gearbox (called "SMG"), which either works like a manual gear box (but without a clutch) or automatically. In 1995 the 3.2 Liter Euro M3 also got the 1994 M5 3.8 high performance brakes with compound discs, which made it one of the best braking cars on the German market (even competitive to the Porsche 993 TT for example).

Most likely reason for the "De-Tuning" is the fact that the Euro M3 might be too expensive for the US market (in BMW's opinion) and would never have reached the successful sales numbers of the US M3. And offering the Euro M3 as a special edition for those who can afford it was obviously not an option for the following reasons: 1. Adapting it to the US emission regulations and having it certificated for the US market would have been too expensive for BMW, related to the small number of cars that would have been sold with the financially much more attractive S50us-powered M3 aside and 2. the US M3 would have lost some great amount of prestige (Keep in mind, that many US M3 buyers find out about the Euro M3 actually AFTER they purchased what they thought was the "original" one...). So, although the US M3 unfortunately is not a 100 percent "genuine" M-car, it still remains being a hell of a machine :-)

one information is not right here: eurospec 3.0 liter M3 has 5 speed and later 3.2 liter has 6 speed or SMG

Last edited:
Back