Buying from Prime vendors.

I've been reading quite a few threads about various vendors who have less than stellar customer service. A majority of the time it seems like these vendors are only providing their services on a limited part time basis. They do this because they can make some quick cash and offer a discount since they don't have the overhead like a brick and mortar store. Next add into the mix a few people from foreign countries and you have recipe for disaster. I have bought many parts from two major vendors here on Prime without any complications. I have even bought carbon fiber parts through eBay without complication.

The reason for this post is to try and find out why there are so many smart people here, yet they lack common sense when ordering parts. If you read about previous customer service problems, yet you continue to support those vendors, you have no one to blame but yourself. Furthermore, trusting someone with no experience in fabricating carbon fiber parts from a distant country is just pure ignorance. If I cannot call up and ask; "Where are my parts?", I'm sure as $hit not going to paypal thousands of dollars to them.

I feel bad for everyone who has lost even a single penny on a product/service that was never delivered. However, how is it that this keeps on reoccurring time after time?

I've been following the same threads (who hasn't?) and it has occurred to me that the one common aspect in these disasters seems to be trying to find the cheapest price, instead the best product.

It's a fair question, however, it's tough when some of the vendors have mixed reviews. I'd had good success w/ Dali for several transaction and then when I had to return something, it turned into a diaster and Mark became difficult for me to work with. Prior to then, he'd been great. What changed? Who knows... Impossible to predict with him. I'd still buy from him, but I'd be smarter about how I did it.

It's a fair question, however, it's tough when some of the vendors have mixed reviews. I'd had good success w/ Dali for several transaction and then when I had to return something, it turned into a diaster and Mark became difficult for me to work with. Prior to then, he'd been great. What changed? Who knows... Impossible to predict with him. I'd still buy from him, but I'd be smarter about how I did it.

And I think that is exactly DocL's point. Why would you continue to do business with him after your last experience? If people would stop, he'd be forced to change the way he did business, then people wouldn't have a problem next time they had to return something to him. Why is this hard to grasp?

My advice is to your homework. Look at I-trader feedback and don't buy from unknowns. Make a phone call to see if your item is in stock BEFORE you send the money. Otherwise expect delays.

Another thing... try not to NAG about delays and email and PM and harrass the person or it makes things worse. They will just get pissed and leave you hanging.

Hate to say it but if the percieved price is good,people are willing to take risks.

It is a delicate situation because when we purchase something for our cars it can be an emotional experience. We get enamored with the thought of a new part for our gorgeous cars, a new addition to the masterpiece. It is exciting, yet when emotions and the logic mix there is often a messy result. We need to learn to be able to say no to a product no matter how much it would "complete" our car or how much we "need" it. One must be able to detach themselves from the situation and make a cool, level-headed decision.

Hate to say it but if the percieved price is good,people are willing to take risks.
Exactly, it seems like some posters haven't ever heard of a risk/reward ratio.

ChopsJazz said:
I've been following the same threads (who hasn't?) and it has occurred to me that the one common aspect in these disasters seems to be trying to find the cheapest price, instead the best product.
I disagree. I think ALL people do their own quick risk analysis when it comes to purchasing anything. It sounds to me like you're implying that people will only consider price without regard to quality or people only consider quality without regard to price. We know that this isn't the case or we wouldn't have "price" on the Y axis of supply/demand curves.

Einstein all but fully explained the known visible universe with one simple equation. Likewise, I have come to solve the mysteries of the known automotive universe.

attachment.php

Take my above theoretical equation. Where pD is the potential for disaster, FM is the number of members on the car forum, and CV = the number of unsupervised criminals and/or opportunistic vendors with the ability to contact the clubs members and find a way into their wallet or worse.

It is squared and raised to the power because you will find it takes very few of these individuals to unlock vast amounts of havoc on your nice unsuspecting member base. It goes like this. Usually a bunch of nice guys come in every year (showing off money while comparing wee wee size) and assume they can join a car club arms wide open and receive car help, favors, etc... from other like minded individuals and vendors. However, there is a catch. No ones knows this better than them. No shortage an ideas on how to best spend your money or take you for a ride.

Things get really bad when the new members do not fully appreciate the ramifications of being on the wrong side of John's beautiful equation, when the values are not in their favor. They really just have a big bulls eye on themselves having novice proficiencies in all regards being highly suspectable to BS. Like a crack head at an ATM, they compound the problem by putting their perceived immediate needs ahead of common sense when choosing who to deal with- while assuming that the "only options" consist of the usual suspects.

Take for instance, NSXPRIME. 16,269 members today. Usually at least 10 people that are more than happy to stick it to you for all you are worth when the first/best opportunity arises.

Plug the numbers in....

16,269 ^ 10 squared = the potential for disaster is enormous...

For more information... see my booth at SEMA...

Attachments

• equation.jpg
    equation.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 236
Last edited:
Einstein all but fully explained the known visible universe with one simple equation. Likewise, I have come to solve the mysteries of the known automotive universe.

attachment.php

Take my above theoretical equation. Where D is the potential for disaster, FM is the number of members on the car forum, and C = the number of criminal minds and/or opportunistic vendors with the ability to contact the clubs members and find a way into their wallet or worse.

It is squared and raised to the power because you will find it takes very few of these individuals to unlock vast amounts of havoc on your nice unsuspecting member base. It goes like this. Usually a bunch of nice guys come in every year (showing off money while comparing wee wee size) and assume they can join a car club arms wide open and receive car help, favors, etc... from other like minded individuals and vendors. However, there is a catch. No ones knows this better than them. No shortage an ideas on how to best spend your money.

Things get really bad when the new members do not fully appreciate the ramifications of being on the wrong side of John's beautiful equation, when the values are not in their favor. They really just have a big bulls eye on themselves having novice proficiencies in all regards being highly suspectable to BS. Like a crack head at an ATM, they compound the problem by putting their perceived immediate needs ahead of common sense when choosing who to deal with.

Take for instance, NSXPRIME. 16,269 members today. Usually at least 10 people that are more than happy to stick it to you for all you are worth when the first/best opportunity arises.

Plug the numbers in....

16,269 ^ 10 squared = the potential for disaster is enormous...

For more information... see my booth at SEMA...

Did Einstein point out that the expanding universe has an end? I mean a person grows taller ages then goes back to earth.lol

I agree.

seen an increase in 0 post vendors lately.

we should all proceed with caution. Just because the regulars are great, our confidence should not extend to the 0 post or relatively new venders.

Prime is changing.

happy motoring

Rob:smile:

But of course the smart crafty scammers will join and post all sorts of benign BS to get thier post count up..then forget how to post pics of thier products:mad:

Did Einstein point out that the expanding universe has an end?

This is actually a common misnomer. Let me shed some light on this.

Einstein's physics left open the possibility of both the possibility of a multi-verse, whereas big bangs are happening all the time - as well as for the great rip, whereas dark energy succeeds over gravity as some current thinking tends to suggest

In my estimation, the fact that we observe the visible universe to be expanding today is simply because we are seeing a snap shot of a moment in time. No different than if we observed a fire cracker a few hundred milliseconds after it exploded, it would appear to be flying apart in all directions.

However, the one thing that the universe has taught us is that ultimately gravity always wins.

I mean a person grows taller ages then goes back to earth.lol
Look. Here is the question we need to be asking ourselves.

What happens when some NSX Vendor's (fill in the subject of your discontent here) head reaches 10 to 100 times the mass it is today due to ego?

Will it explode in a colossal super nova? Or will it collapse it on itself to become a black hole? Live its final years out quietly as a white dwarf?

Such are the mysteries of the NSX-verse.

Let us not egregiously obfuscate the solution: Friends don't let friends buy from nsx vendors

But of course the smart crafty scammers will join and post all sorts of benign BS to get their post count up..then forget how to post pics of their products:mad:

well I suggest we use our better judgment and not jump on the next group buy to come our way.

if we can get a handful of people to chime in where they met this person in real life or has had great exp in dealing with them, that would definitely help, even then, if it sounds too go to be true or something sounds fishy I would do CC file back ASAP.

I think we have 60 days here in USA in Europe is 13 month.

Anyways, if something is not delivered with in 60 days, there is a REAL problem.

if the VENDOR CANT PRODUCE items in under 60 days, their product is not up to market standards yet and should not be asking for money or orders a head of time.

60 days is a long time anyways, I can go from prototyping to manufacture in 60 days and to take 1 year to get some people to lay CF is just ridiculous.

Doc for everyone's sake i hope we are both DEAD WRONG and that this guy will deliver!

Rob

Anyways, if something is not delivered with in 60 days, there is a REAL problem.

if the VENDOR CANT PRODUCE items in under 60 days, their product is not up to market standards yet and should not be asking for money or orders a head of time.

60 days is a long time anyways, I can go from prototyping to manufacture in 60 days and to take 1 year to get some people to lay CF is just ridiculous.

Some of my top branded wheels take more than 60 days to arrive, so your 60 day rule of thumb is not valid. The difference is if a vendor says "a few weeks" and it takes a few months. When I sell a set of Work, Volk etc, I tell what the US distributor says. Example Volk is 60-90 days minimum. For a car like the NSX, the sizes are staggered, custom picked offsets, colors etc. These are manufactured in a different country, with a few middlemen to boot. It takes a week to go from invoice, to payment, to payment to distributor, and then payment and order to Japan alone. Then it takes time to make them, ship them, clear customs, go on a truck to the distributor, then to the retailer, then again to the customer.

The main issues to follow are honesty, that includes a fair price, shipping timeframe, and an accurate shipping price. Feedback if delays or issues arise, and references. i.e. a zero post new vendor, that got kicked off another message forum, to land here to make a buck, that knows diddly squat about the NSX. Also for vendors (even big NSX ones) that fail to deliver a paid-for part should be banned forever! I can be picked on for being late responding to an email, but I am proud to say that I have NEVER ripped anyone off, and NEVER will. Please support those honest vendors here on Prime, and stay away from the no-name group-buys.

My advice to you, is contact one of us regular Prime vendors when you see a group-buy price that you see, and I bet that you will have a 99% chance buying that part from one of us Prime vendors on a single purchase for the same price. All you have to do is ask. You will be able to sleep better at night too! :wink:

You are right Tom,It is also a two way street.We have seen some impatient eager buyers who have voiced their displeasure at you and others with the delays in shipping for jdm wheels among other import parts,and just those threads alone could negatively affect prospective members from dealing with said vendors. Indeed the web has made pricing much less mysterious,and I agree that all it takes is a phone call to our reputable vendors if a group buy price from timbuck -two new kid on the block is seemingly too good to pass up.

I have bought many parts from two major vendors here on Prime without any complications. I have even bought carbon fiber parts through eBay without complication.

The reason for this post is to try and find out why there are so many smart people here, yet they lack common sense when ordering parts. If you read about previous customer service problems, yet you continue to support those vendors, you have no one to blame but yourself. Furthermore, trusting someone with no experience in fabricating carbon fiber parts from a distant country is just pure ignorance. If I cannot call up and ask; "Where are my parts?", I'm sure as $hit not going to paypal thousands of dollars to them.

I feel bad for everyone who has lost even a single penny on a product/service that was never delivered. However, how is it that this keeps on reoccurring time after time?

I had addressed the same issue on another thread and I agree with you 110%. I will pay more to a reputable vendor because they are just that reputable. There not going to steel my money, send me the wrong product and stop returning my emails to correct there mistake, Leeds me on with false promises. All I ask in return is getting what I payed for in a reasonable agreed upon time, packaged well.

There are a lot of good vendors on Prime but you have to beware, and do your research before you jump on those super cheep get them while there hot group buys.

Some of my top branded wheels take more than 60 days to arrive, so your 60 day rule of thumb is not valid. The difference is if a vendor says "a few weeks" and it takes a few months. When I sell a set of Work, Volk etc, I tell what the US distributor says. Example Volk is 60-90 days minimum. For a car like the NSX, the sizes are staggered, custom picked offsets, colors etc. These are manufactured in a different country, with a few middlemen to boot. It takes a week to go from invoice, to payment, to payment to distributor, and then payment and order to Japan alone. Then it takes time to make them, ship them, clear customs, go on a truck to the distributor, then to the retailer, then again to the customer.

The main issues to follow are honesty, that includes a fair price, shipping timeframe, and an accurate shipping price. Feedback if delays or issues arise, and references. i.e. a zero post new vendor, that got kicked off another message forum, to land here to make a buck, that knows diddly squat about the NSX. Also for vendors (even big NSX ones) that fail to deliver a paid-for part should be banned forever! I can be picked on for being late responding to an email, but I am proud to say that I have NEVER ripped anyone off, and NEVER will. Please support those honest vendors here on Prime, and stay away from the no-name group-buys.

My advice to you, is contact one of us regular Prime vendors when you see a group-buy price that you see, and I bet that you will have a 99% chance buying that part from one of us Prime vendors on a single purchase for the same price. All you have to do is ask. You will be able to sleep better at night too! :wink:

for volks, we all know it takes longer than that due to demand.

there are always exceptions to the rule.

but for something that they make on site. 60 days is more than enough.

I understand volks are high price items and what not... but personally i carry 20K in inventory out of my own pocket.... why? cause thats the cost of doing business also customs want their product now. not pay now, get it a year from now.

there are few exceptions to the rule. for 99% of the products out there, my point remains VERY valid.

regards

Rob:smile:

I've been reading quite a few threads about various vendors who have less than stellar customer service. A majority of the time it seems like these vendors are only providing their services on a limited part time basis. They do this because they can make some quick cash and offer a discount since they don't have the overhead like a brick and mortar store. Next add into the mix a few people from foreign countries and you have recipe for disaster. I have bought many parts from two major vendors here on Prime without any complications. I have even bought carbon fiber parts through eBay without complication.

I think it's worth noting the difference between buying parts from a vendor, i.e. a business, presumably a brick-and-mortar establishment and sending money overseas for a "group buy" situation for newly fabricated parts being coordinated by someone with limited experience who is half a world away and speaks limited English.

Clearly, there's quite a bit of risk associated with the latter and personally I would be very certain of just who I was sending my money to in this case. That goes without saying. There's really no "solution" to this problem other than to be more careful about who you trust. Situations like this will always exist and there will always be a somewhat high risk. That just needs to be accepted.

Purchasing parts from a vendor is a little different. Clearly, I think we know which vendor is being alluded to in this case and they're a very good example. Anyone lurking around Prime for more than an hour will invariably stumble upon at least one horror story about them and it's pretty clear to me that anyone who orders from this company does so at their own peril.

There are some very strong pros and very strong cons to ordering with this company and to me, that's what it comes down to. I've said this many times before but regular in-stock items ordered from them seem have a much better track record of arriving as described and in a timely fashion. It's the unusual circumstances that seem to generate 90% of the complaints--things like backorders, returns and core charges. This has been a consistent pattern with them for many, many years.

Personally, I only do business with them because I live 10 minutes from them and know them. I would be much more reluctant to do so if that were not the case as I have done the research and quite frankly, it's shocking. I probably should not even support a company that has such consistently poor service but I know I will never have a problem and so I guess I'm selfish. Sorry. :frown: But you are 100% correct: based on the number of issues NSX owners have had with them over many, many years they should be boycotted altogether.

Obviously the free market should self-correct this issue but the free market also helps them because they have certain products and prices that often just can't be beat. And since the risk appears to be much less for simple, in-stock part orders it might not be that high of a risk for some. However I would never, ever do business with them if I wasn't close by and if the dealings involved any kind of backorder, return or core charge. Period. Anyone who does is a fool, plain and simple.

A company like this has a high enough success rate and low enough prices and stellar enough product lineup to keep getting business despite their questionable business tactics. What that translates to is that 1) they could be making a lot more money than they do and 2) their competitors will stay in business longer and continue to get market share in spite of their possibly higher prices and leaner product selections.

When the level of dissatisfaction rises enough on enough levels most people will stop doing business with them and they will go under but that hasn't happened yet. Clearly if they needed more business to survive they would have to increase service levels but this is a company with deep pockets, figuratively speaking (no rent, owner sees it as a hobby) so service will have to get real bad before anything changes.

Yes, occasionally, people will still get taken and the only recourse is to post it here and hope it gets worse and they go under but for now it is what it is. However I don't think anyone has a right to be shocked when they get screwed by them. Angry and frustrated, yes. But surprised? No. Everyone knows there's a relatively high chance of getting screwed by them.

Back