buying an NSX in Canada

White car, black car:
Buy both, cut them in half, put them back together and have yin-yang cars. :cool:

I know it sounds silly at first, to cut the cars in half a second time - haven't they been cut up enough? :biggrin:

get a targa its a blast in the summer. The only disadvantage would be that it has a OB2 engine management setup. Meaning if you ever want to upgrade with headers,catback,air intake,forced induction, or a stage 2 or 3 NA tunning. Your looking on spending big bucks on a stand alone engine management system to properly tune the car. And No they dont make a racing chip for an OB2. And yes you can still put on AIRintake, headers,cat-back but you dont get all the extra horse power thats advertised with these parts. Your Ob2 can compensate for the extra air getting in and out but not perfectly. Plus a targa is a babe magnet trust me

saint2709 said:
get a targa its a blast in the summer. The only disadvantage would be that it has a OB2 engine management setup. Meaning if you ever want to upgrade with headers,catback,air intake,forced induction, or a stage 2 or 3 NA tunning. Your looking on spending big bucks on a stand alone engine management system to properly tune the car. And No they dont make a racing chip for an OB2. And yes you can still put on AIRintake, headers,cat-back but you dont get all the extra horse power thats advertised with these parts. Your Ob2 can compensate for the extra air getting in and out but not perfectly. Plus a targa is a babe magnet trust me

The limitation is not OBD2, it's throttle by wire. And there's now a solution http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57427

Anybody have the blackbook value / Retail value of a 98 EXTRA CLN ?

I was close to buying a Black 98 about a year ago. Auction prices appeared to be about $73k and the guy who was selling it was absolutely firm at $78k. He let me walk for a few grand when he knew I was the only buyer in Canada.

Maybe this is the car. It was forsale in Calgary for 2 years for a high price. Went to auction. Sold to Segals, and a few weeks after I got my 02, it appears that Segal sent it to Brant Acura. I probably still have the service records for that car if its the same one. Very very clean.

Last edited:
Red said:
I'll sell my SPA Yellow on Yellow 2003 for $100K which in my opinion is about CDN Blackbook. Its in Toronto, under factory warranty to 2009 and clean as a whistle!

BTW - there are no listings after 2001 in the blackbook but extra clean 2001 = $79,300 wholesale and 88,175 Retail. The 2002 should be worth more since it is a body style jump, so thats why they are asking $98,880 for the car. (a 2000 is 74,300 and 82,800 respectively. so a $10k jump for 2002 is VERY reasonable)

I have PDF'd the Blackbook Online pages with the 2001 listing, if you want 'em email/PM me!

I'm at home, but I'll try to get you the BBK price(I don't have my home machine set up for login) but use the numbers above and adjust based on teh diff between 2001 and 2000, then subtract the diff times two from the 2000 price - thats how we do it unless there is something wrong with the car or too many of them so it drops the price based on demand.

I did discover while shopping for my car that many dealers own their cars well over BBK - so this may serve as a bargaining tool, but not a basis for knowing what they paid.

(Anyone want a 2000 Windstar with trany problems for $5000?) :wink:

SPA_S2000 said:
I was close to buying a Black 98 about a year ago. Auction prices appeared to be about $73k and the guy who was selling it was absolutely firm at $78k. He let me walk for a few grand when he knew I was the only buyer in Canada.

Maybe this is the car. It was forsale in Calgary for 2 years for a high price. Went to auction. Sold to Segals, and a few weeks after I got my 02, it appears that Segal sent it to Brant Acura. I probably still have the service records for that car if its the same one. Very very clean.

If so, could u tell me what is the mileage on it? As well as the overall condition of it? If it's still for sale how much are they asking? cause I don't recall seeing any NSX For sale by Brant Acura. Thx

INDY790 said:
i live in b.c and the insurance on my nsx ranges from $225-$275 per month from icbc with full discount.you should check out my car i might sell it.it is mint and best of all it is white.

Ack! Mine's about $1500 per year, or about half your cost. Is this a factor of gov't insurance, or that I'm old (37)?

NA1R said:
If so, could u tell me what is the mileage on it? As well as the overall condition of it? If it's still for sale how much are they asking? cause I don't recall seeing any NSX For sale by Brant Acura. Thx

I cant find the documentation on the car - but it was a 98 in showroom condition. Segals was asking $79k I think but I got him down to $78k plus he gave me $3k more for my trade than it was worth. I think it had 14k km on it. It was mint - totally mint. It was definately at Brant after Segals and they were asking $85k I think. It was well advertised in Autotrader. Havent seen it forsale for say 10 months.

Man... $80g for a 98 car don't seems to make sense to me. Especially the warranty has run out. versus, If I buy a 02-03 I still have full factory warranty and low km for sure. Besides. I know I can't stop myself if I bought the earlier NA2's I would do the 02 conversion for sure. And there goes the $10g. plus wheels($5000), exhaust($1500), coilovers($2000est) ding ding ding... we are well over $18500- which would equal the price of a 02up NA2 (with factory warranty) Arrrr.. I am going nuts here... someone help me... :confused:

RED: do u have any pictures of the 03 Yellow/Yellow? And is it possible to take the car to a local Acura dealer to ask them to swap the Canadian gauge cluster in? thx

NA1R said:
RED: do u have any pictures of the 03 Yellow/Yellow? And is it possible to take the car to a local Acura dealer to ask them to swap the Canadian gauge cluster in? thx

I have picts at my office, will send you some - PM/email me your email.

Cluster-swap is no biggie, but I acutally am taking to a guy who is almost ready to make me some backlit, white overlays for each dial, that plus a set of rings will look REALLY hot on the yellow interior.

BTW - to see my car is to see any 02+ Yellow on Yellow, mine has one little flaw, a small hairline at the edge of the spoiler, and I scuffed a rim at a drive through wash, but they are re-doing it at their expense.

I have two sets of mats, black/grey and yellow.

email sent

NA1R said:
Man... $80g for a 98 car don't seems to make sense to me. Especially the warranty has run out. versus, If I buy a 02-03 I still have full factory warranty and low km for sure. Besides. I know I can't stop myself if I bought the earlier NA2's I would do the 02 conversion for sure. And there goes the $10g. plus wheels($5000), exhaust($1500), coilovers($2000est) ding ding ding... we are well over $18500- which would equal the price of a 02up NA2 (with factory warranty) Arrrr.. I am going nuts here... someone help me... :confused:

This is exactly why I ended up with my 02. I would have preferred to spend less for a 97 or a 98, but it had to make financial sense next to the newer car. When it didnt, it was an easy choice. Plus I agree, I prefer the updated front.

Thats the big problem - there are so few good NSXs to buy and when you find one, its expensive. If its the car you want, you have to bite the bullet and just hope that depreciation doesnt change.

What a car though - I couldnt be happier with my 02 Y/Y

Also keep in mind that youll be adding those things to an 02+ also, minus the front conversion, as I have...

Wheels, exhaust, AIS, uni, coilovers, rubber, plus some yet to be spoken about stuff thats not on the car yet

bjmills said:
Ack! Mine's about $1500 per year, or about half your cost. Is this a factor of gov't insurance, or that I'm old (37)?

Who's your insurer?
do you insure year round?
What's your deductable?

I know there is a premium for being in Toronto vs. Kanata (etc) but I never thought it would be close to 50%

Red said:
Who's your insurer?
do you insure year round?
What's your deductable?

I know there is a premium for being in Toronto vs. Kanata (etc) but I never thought it would be close to 50%

The Co-Operators. Yes (leased car, and the leasing company demands it). Deductible is $500.

I am looking at the insurance form now. The total is $695 for six months, or $1390 per year. I'm married, 37, with no at fault claims in the last six years.

SPA_S2000 said:
Stu - when I moved from Ottawa to Toronto my auto insurance premiums went up 50% just due to the postal code.

:eek: So my friend Randy has antique insurance on his cars over 15 years old, and it costs him 75 cents per thousand dollars appraised, I should move to Kanata and buy a 1991 in January!

Think of all the money I'd save! :biggrin:

I brought up an '01 NSX-T in June this year and have been loving every second driving this car. Really hoping that the wife doesn't read this, but when she told me that we're going to be expecting our first child, it was a mixed emotion for me: great that my boys can swim; sad because I probably should get rid of the car.

Back to the topic at hand, where would be a good place to try to sell a car like this?

Back