buying an NSX in Canada

I can't speak for all of them,but if "money is no object" I would buy this one!

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56951

His car is so clean.Remember one of the most expensive things to do on a car is paint.His is perfect!
I would say the nicest NSX I have seen.

As far as being quick,that they aren't,however,"money no object" bolt a supercharger or better yet turbo on it!
Proven reliability when done right,and you would be hard pressed to buy a car with this much power,look the way it does for the money!
Just my $.02.
Stacy

I think that you'll find most reports listing the 3.2L NSX at around, or just below, 5 sec, 0-60. Not that that measurement means anything in the real world though.

I also think that you will also find that there are more than 3 forsale. There are probably 10 in Toronto alone.

The car that Stacy suggested is freaking HOT. I love it. But that is a lot of cashola for a 92. But its tough to find a nicer NSX than that one.

A guy here in TO just brought a SPA 03 up from the US. He'll probably sell it (Y/Y a little flashy for him he says) if someone wants it. He wants a silver one moreso. Its a stock US 03 and I think he wants close to C$100k for it.

me and my friends get into arugments all the time about nsx. they say its a waste of money, jsut get an rx8, or a 350z and shit, and that NSX is fucking slow and stuff.

but i mean i love everything about htis car. its one of those cars where it grabs you emotionally.....

well since it is kinda "slow" by today's supercar standards....i was hoping ot get a 91, take out a/c, radio, do some weight reduction, hopefully get a turbocharge(?) or compteh supercharge(i hate the sound of superchargers), get a yellow paint(yellow kicks ass), and maybe a body kit....

but if i bu ythe 95, nsx-t, its heavier, and i could sure use the money left from a 91 to tune it and stuff....but i heard the nsx is really difficult to tune, regarding installing superchargers and stuff....im no expert on nsx, but i would sure like some opinions from some experienced owners..

btw, is there absolutely NO turbochargers for the NSX? i think i seen one from turbochargers.com or somethin

n dont u just hate the shrillin high pitched noise of Superchargers?

SPA_S2000 said:
I think that you'll find most reports listing the 3.2L NSX at around, or just below, 5 sec, 0-60. Not that that measurement means anything in the real world though.

I also think that you will also find that there are more than 3 forsale. There are probably 10 in Toronto alone.

The car that Stacy suggested is freaking HOT. I love it. But that is a lot of cashola for a 92. But its tough to find a nicer NSX than that one.

A guy here in TO just brought a SPA 03 up from the US. He'll probably sell it (Y/Y a little flashy for him he says) if someone wants it. He wants a silver one moreso. Its a stock US 03 and I think he wants close to C$100k for it.

how much do u think it would cost, to buy from other provinces. i kinda don't like this idea, cause, i would really like to see the condition in real life and maybe test it out....

downwiz2 said:
me and my friends get into arugments all the time about nsx. they say its a waste of money, jsut get an rx8, or a 350z and shit, and that NSX is fucking slow and stuff.

ok... a Nissan 350z (no offence) IMO is a "chick car" AKA "Fairlady". I almost want to put the RX-8 in the same "chick" category... but I'll be nice... :wink:

So you want to talk about slow? I was in my car going northbound on Yonge street (Sheppard) and a red RX-8 pulls up beside me and starts revving his engine baiting me. I was with my 19YO younger brother who was encouraging me "Take him, man, take him!". With a fully loaded car (2 sets of golf clubs in the trunk and a passenger as heavy as me)...

I didn't even get out of 1st gear and I was 2-3 car lengths ahead. I got through 2nd and he was probably 8-10 car lengths behind. I thought he might have backed off. I get to another red light and again this RX-8 is reving and baiting again. I shake my head but he keeps reving. "put him out of his misery" my brother says...

I figure I'd make him feel like he has some kind of "sports" car (at least for a few seconds). Light goes Green and I slowly ease into 1st and let him get 1/3 car length ahead of me and kept him there through most of 1st. Once Vtec hit, I again pulled ahead 1-2 car lengths and when I was done 2nd gear, he was again 8-10 car lengths behind me. It's quite possible that at 130kph on Yonge street after 2nd gear, next to a cop shop that he may have backed off but either way, I wasn't looking for a race but ended up destroying the RX-8 anyway.

My car is bone stock with only a cat back exhuast. Even my intake is OEM.

downwiz2 said:
i think there are 3 nsx for sale in bc

two 91, ranging at 40k.

and an nsx-t at 68k.

which one would you get. Money is no objection.

Also, are how much is insurance for nsx?

is NSX really that slow? 0 to 60 in six seconds?

if money is no objection, buy both. A few friends have more than just 1 NSX in their garage where i live.

insurance costs depends on your age and driving record.

the NSX will be slow depending on whos driving.
new NSX owners commonly underestimate what the NSX is capable of doing because of their driving style and technique. i wont spill all the secrets because i dont want to spoil all of the suprises that the NSX has to offer.

most of the numbers you see are tested by old guys with arthritis that are faint hearted.

the NSX just doesn't beat about 99% cars on the road, it annihilates them.

i know the perfect decision maker for you to find out wether the NSX is right for you or not. do a search on Ayrton Senna and find a video of him driving the NSX. let us know what you think.

downwiz2 said:
i've been in my friends RX-8, and believe me, it is not all that slow. 0 to 60 in six flat. now correct me if im wrong, but isn't that what an average NSX 0 to 60 is around?

Everyone has his/her own bias when it comes to cars. Especially the ones they own. Its perfectly natural tendency. It applies not only to cars, but to many of the materials we own.

but i mean 8 to 10 cars behind, is a really stupid exagteration. Either that guy in RX-8 is just learning the stick, or your NSX is a type-r.

I honestly didn't think they were that slow until that night... Yes, I do have a bias, but I also have no problem saying that some hot chick in a 911 Turbo took me big time while she was still talking on the phone! She kicked my ass! and didn't even blink! :frown:

8-10 car lengths was confirmed not only by my brother in the passenger seat, but also by my other brother who was in a Minivan behind the both of us at both stop lights. I couldn't really tell because when I looked in the rearview mirror, it was hard to tell the distance, I only knew I was ahead by a lot...

downwiz2 said:
i've been in my friends RX-8, and believe me, it is not all that slow. 0 to 60 in six flat. now correct me if im wrong, but isn't that what an average NSX 0 to 60 is around?

Everyone has his/her own bias when it comes to cars. Especially the ones they own. Its perfectly natural tendency. It applies not only to cars, but to many of the materials we own.

but i mean 8 to 10 cars behind, is a really stupid exagteration. Either that guy in RX-8 is just learning the stick, or your NSX is a type-r.

You are misinformed. The NA1 coupes (1991-1994) run 5.1-5.3 0-60 and 13.6-13.8 in the quarter at 102-104 MPH. The lowest stock (and I mean stock, not 'almost') NA1 ET I have seen is a 13.4, highest trap is 106 MPH. Later NA2 (1997+) cars are faster still. Targas are a few ticks slower than coupes.

Most people have no idea how fast an NSX is. They see 270/290 hp. and think slow.

The NSX has a huge RPM/gearing advantage at higher speeds that make it competitive with cars that run low 13s or high 12s in the quarter at speeds above 100 mph. When other cars have shifted to the next gear, the NSX still has 2,000 RPM to go. 2nd redlines at 81 MPH, 3rd at 114 MPH. By staying in the lower gear, the NSX is able to put more power to the rear wheels than a car that has shifted to a higher gear.

The tall gearing also results in a deceptively slow 0-60 time, as the early cars fall out of the powerband after the shift to 2nd. With JDM short gears, you can drop the 0-60 time to 5.0 seconds or less, but the car will be no faster 0-80.

As for the 'race' with the RX8 above, anything can happen on the street. I believe the RX8 runs mid 14s in the quarter, so 8-10 car lengths is certainly possible (do the math for the distance traveled in one second at 100 mph and you will see the light), although it is also possible the RX8 owner gave up after being beaten for the second time . . .

If you ever drive an NSX, you need to drive it properly. That means take it to redline in as many gears as the road and conditions allow. YMMV.

downwiz2 said:
how much do u think it would cost, to buy from other provinces. i kinda don't like this idea, cause, i would really like to see the condition in real life and maybe test it out....
I LOVE to buy cars in other provinces. I shop for a good deal or unique car and fly in and drive home (shipping can cost about $1000 across Canada, depends on who and how fast). I've never been "burnt" and always ended up with something special.

Here are my tips:
1) Research what you want long before - drive a few examples of what you are going to buy, that way when you drive the car you've traveled for you'll know quickly its OK
2) CARFAX!!!!! and, if buying in Canada, there are some other checks available through the UCDA that will show you leins (VERY Important) and insurance claims (nice to know "hit front right" check repair was good, etc.)
3) Pictures adn talk to seller, phone a few times, make sure no shiftiness, same story told to you twice a few days apart helps build confidence.
4) Buy a car with factory warranty, that way engine, tranny, etc. aren't important - you will have them fixed better than new if there is a problem
4a) Call with VIN to make sure car is still under warranty (see above)
5) come with certified funds or bank draft, don't hand over $$$ until you satisfied yourself everything is cool (inspection!!!!)
6) Bring MapQuest Maps, everything you need to travel home, plus one day (just in case)
7) Enjoy a great drive in your new toy! What could be better than a long drive in a "new" car!

10) I'm jumping ahead on purpose - check out tax situation in advance, if you jump ahead and do the taxes last you may end up paying twice!!!!

Nah - there are actually no NSXs forsale in Canada. All bought last night.

Bahahaha! After reading that I was thinking the same thing :D

Seriously though, check out the FI forum for a LOT of threads on different forced induction options for both superchargers and turbochargers and the pros and cons of both. And yes, I don't like the supercharger whine either, but I've got a loud exhaust and I run at high revs so I don't hear it much! :cool:

lithiumus said:
I honestly didn't think they were that slow until that night... Yes, I do have a bias, but I also have no problem saying that some hot chick in a 911 Turbo took me big time while she was still talking on the phone! She kicked my ass! and didn't even blink! :frown:

8-10 car lengths was confirmed not only by my brother in the passenger seat, but also by my other brother who was in a Minivan behind the both of us at both stop lights. I couldn't really tell because when I looked in the rearview mirror, it was hard to tell the distance, I only knew I was ahead by a lot...
The chick that kicked your a$$ could have been my wife - she can talk on the phone, surf the radio and still wipe the streets with guys - Silver Turbo, Brunette with short hair? sorry, I armed her but she killed you on her own!

If you want to know how much insurance is, call your insurance company and get a quote..simple as that.

As for buying an NSX in Canada...it's kind of a weird market...people don't know how to price the car. I always keep an eye out but I haven't found exactly what I want yet. After going through a US import fiasco I'm settled on finding something local or importing from Japan 90-91..

I like the Imola 2002 in Burlington but they want 98k! Nuts.

i live in b.c and the insurance on my nsx ranges from $225-$275 per month from icbc with full discount.you should check out my car i might sell it.it is mint and best of all it is white.

satan_srv said:
I like the Imola 2002 in Burlington but they want 98k! Nuts.

That is alot of dough but either they, or the dealer who sold it to them, paid C$91K for it AT AUCTION.

Wholesale on a 02 car appears to be around $90k.

I'll sell my SPA Yellow on Yellow 2003 for $100K which in my opinion is about CDN Blackbook. Its in Toronto, under factory warranty to 2009 and clean as a whistle!

BTW - there are no listings after 2001 in the blackbook but extra clean 2001 = $79,300 wholesale and 88,175 Retail. The 2002 should be worth more since it is a body style jump, so thats why they are asking $98,880 for the car. (a 2000 is 74,300 and 82,800 respectively. so a $10k jump for 2002 is VERY reasonable)

I have PDF'd the Blackbook Online pages with the 2001 listing, if you want 'em email/PM me!

I already have the 2002 parts in my barn :p so I'm not as keen to grab 2002+ car..97 would be nice though for the 3.2 and 6-speed. I'm giving myself 4 months to settle on something.

91K at auction eh...damn.

See what they can dig me up in Japan as well.

Arshad said:
To answer my own question, that car had previously been in an accident, hence the discount.

which one was it? your link didn't work..the white one with 44k on it? Seemed like a steal at that price..I assumed it had been hit.

Hit more times than Mohamad Ali doing the rope-a-dope for an hour!:eek:
Its on its second engine too!
I hear the repaint is sweeeeet!

So you get a fresh paint job AND a brand new(ish) engine for one low-low price!
Wow!
I'm buying it, don't you guys start making offers and bid the price up!

:biggrin:

Float in the corners, redline it so it screams like a by a bee
take a hit in the fender, could have been a contender! :tongue:

Back