Buying an 04' NSX, but...

HELP: Buying an 04' NSX, but...

Hi guys,

I am new to the board and would like some advice. I am about to pull the trigger and lease a new Silverstone NSX, but have a couple final questions before doing so.

1. I drove an 02' and liked the car a lot. However, I was disapointed in the power (I recently sold my 02' 996 TT and had a 600 rwhp Z06 prior to the TT) How quick is the 3.2 NSX on paper? I have not seen any recent test reports. How about real world acceleration? Is it similar to a 320 hp 996?

2. I have alway liked the NSX because I admire its technical beauty. Do you think it still is technically current compared to modern day cars such as a 996 C4S or is it technically obsolete?

3. Another reason I like the NSX is because of the Targa roof. IMHO it is the next best thing to a convertible, but still have the rigidity of a coupe. Does the NSX start to rattle over time? Of course I will return the car after the 36 months is up, so this may not be an issue.

4. I love the look of the car. I personally like the redo in 2002. Also, I hate to say this, but I don't mind getting a few stares now and then. However, all my friends think the NSX looks dated. I think the same can be said about the 996, since its design dates back to the 60s. Are the looks outdated?

5. Do you think the NSX would keep your enthusiasm/interest as much as a 996 turbo or GT3? I usually get bored of cars quickly, but if I want to keep things stable at home, I need to keep my next acquisition for at least several years.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sandy

Last edited:
CerberusM5 said:
How quick is the 3.2 NSX on paper?
0-60 4.8 seconds
1/4 13.3 seconds
Top speed 175 mph

CerberusM5 said:
Is it similar to a 320 hp 996?
Yes.

CerberusM5 said:
Do you think it still is technically current compared to modern day cars
Yes, absolutely.

CerberusM5 said:
Are the looks outdated?
No.

CerberusM5 said:
Do you think the NSX would keep your enthusiasm/interest as much as a 996 turbo or GT3?
Yes.

You can always add on the supercharger (Comptech) if you want to bump up the power. You can take it off after the lease and still get probably 60% of your money back. (minus install and removal)

I don't think the 02-04 look dated at all. They did a nice job with it. Through on some aftermarket wheels and it looks even better!

It seems most people on this site sell their NSX's for 996 Turbo's. You have already had one of those, so I guess the car should keep your enthusiasm. It is a wonderful car to drive everyday and you do not have to worry about it breaking.

Good luck!

Yo Cerberus,

I remember you from Corvetteforum.com! You had a sweet Z06 and a beautiful 996 TT I had PMd you about.:cool:

Congrats on your pending X lease. Silverstone is a beautiful color.

As NetViper mentioned, the Comptech s/c is the way to go if you feel the power is lacking. :) I drove a 99 Comptech s/c X here in NorCal that was a beast. :D Then again, I've never owned a 996 TT, so I can't really compare it to anything but a slightly modified C5.

Good luck in your decision!

NoggZ

NoggZ said:
Yo Cerberus,

As NetViper mentioned, the Comptech s/c is the way to go if you feel the power is lacking. :) I drove a 99 Comptech s/c X here in NorCal that was a beast. :D Then again, I've never owned a 996 TT, so I can't really compare it to anything but a slightly modified C5.

Good luck in your decision!

NoggZ

You got one already!!! I thought you just started looking http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34695

Another question

Do you guys think the NSX has high fun to drive quotient? I have only spent limited time behind the wheel, so I cannot determine this.

The reason why I ask is beacuse I remember reading a road test review years ago stating the car had fantastic ergonomics and as easy to drive as an Accord, but they complained that it was too familiar and not that exciting.

Is this true?

Thanks for your help guys.

I have driven a lot of cars at the track...the NSX has the most ability to put down as much of the power into road (and enjoying it at the same time ) than any other car I have driven...

Only maybe the McClaren or the Enzo compare...sorry didn't drive those.

EIFFEL said:
The #1 reason most people would buy a NSX is after the test drive and they realize it is the most fun to drive car they had ever driven. IMHO, :)

Exactly what happened to me.

If you drove the car and didn't love it, get something else! By your own admission you are going to be keeping this one for a few years. Buy what YOU like!

Hate to say this, but personally, I think all of these questions are odd.

1) Real world acceleration you experienced and were disappointed. At that point, paper doesnt matter. If you were disappointed, you were disappointed.

2) I don't see how anyone can answer "is it technically obsolete". No one here is going to say "yes, it is" and how would you answer that anyway? I'm not sure what technically obsolete really means. Is the massive, no brainer, high displacement engine in the Viper "technically obsolete"? Beats me...

3) I think all targas have the potential to rattle a bit over time. The key here, I guess, is to find the rattles and eliminate them and keep the targa roof seals clean to avoid squeaks.

4) This is massively subjective right? I mean you tell me... Are the looks outdated? Who knows. If your friends think they are, and you care about what your friends think (I dont see why ANYONE would care what friends think in a case like this, but its your money), then you should accept that they are outdated. Personally, I think the NSX is one of the best looking sportscars on the road today. The "looks outdated" comments are fueled by car mags who want a redesign (good or bad) every 5 years so they can sell issues.

5) Impossible to answer. Who knows how much a GT3 or 996TT would keep ones interest unless they've owned it? It's impossible to speculate on this. Only the very small minority of GT3 or 996TT owners who also own an NSX can even begin to comment...

6) High fun to drive... Well, we think so or we wouldnt continue to own them. You've driven one and, if you ask me, one drive kind of IS enough to determine this.

If you ask me, you shouldnt do this lease. You're not fully convinced on the car and thats the bottom line. Once in, its really not easy to back out of the lease (ask me how I know), so buyers remorse situations should be avoided at all costs.

Thanks again for the responses. I admit that I am still on the fence, but I want to make a decision one way or the other.

spookyp,

Your comments make some sense and are appreciated.

1. Unfortunately, I am somewhat of a speed junkie, but it is not paramount in my decision. However, I always seem to compare things to cars I had in the past.

2. I think it may have been unfair to use the term "technically obsolete". I guess I am amazed how a design that appeared in 1991 can still be current among modern sports cars 13 years later.

3. Thanks for the tip.

4. I take other people's opinions maybe to seriously to fault at times.

Thanks again everyone! Your advice has been very helpful.

Sports cars are like art!!!

What one person says is gorgeous, another thinks is crap. You have received great advice in some of the previous posts. I've had a C5 Convertible, loved it, and loved the torque. I've always thought that the NSX was beautiful, from the time it came out. I also thought that I'd feel let down by the "underpowered" 6 cylinder engine of the NSX, let me tell you, not for a moment. But, that's me. If you don't love it, don't do it, you'll be disappointed. Do what stirs your soul, not your friends (unless you feel the need to impress them) People who are considering cars of this ilk, don't do it as a practical matter, they do it for personal enjoyment. If you have to think too much about whether this is the right car or not, it isn't. Best of luck on whatever you choose to drive, enjoy it!!!

Update!!

Hey guys,

I finally made the decision to buy an NSX. I decided by flipping a coin. Just kidding!

Unfortunately, the Silverstone the dealer tried obtaining via dealer trade fell through, so I am getting my second color choice, Black/Black.

I will be picking it tomorrow morning in NoCal and driving it back to Las Vegas. I look forward to the NSX experience.

Thanks again for the help and look forward to becoming a valued member on the board.

Sandy

CerberusM5:

I've had faster accelerating cars, I’ve had louder cars, I've had technically advanced (and expensive to repair) cars, but I've never had a car that is as much fun to drive as my NSX. I bought mine new, sight unseen. My first ride in any NSX was when I got in it and drove it home 250 miles.

That was in the spring of 02, and I'm every bit as excited by it now as I was then. What everyone says about the power is true. It's adequate, not stupendous. There are always faster cars then yours no matter what you have. It's the "total package" that makes the NSX so much fun.

Handling
Sound
View
Braking
Build quality
Exclusivity
and of course looks. For a car first sold in 1991 I get thumbs up and "nice car" all the time. Dated? I think not. I never got that kind of attention with my 928, even when it was new.

I think you made a good choice. I'll be anxious to hear your opinion after you've had it for a while. And as others have said, if you need more power, you can always add more ($$$$) but don't break it unless you have deep pockets.

I am very satisfied with mine just the way it is.

Best regards

Mikec,

Thanks for your feedback. I will definitely will report my thoughts after a few thousand miles, so expect a report next week. :D

NoggZ,

Yes, I am buying it from Niello. I will post some pics soon.

Thanks.

Answer to #3 according to my experience...

I have a 96-T... 40K miles... The roof does rattle when I get to around 130mph...

G8 nsX said:
Answer to #3 according to my experience...

I have a 96-T... 40K miles... The roof does rattle when I get to around 130mph...

Nah... its probably the teeth of your passenger :D

Las Vegas

Welcome to NSX World I drove mine from northern cal too and loved it. Don't take it to Falconi's! FACTOR X IS YOUR FRIEND!!!!

Re: HELP: Buying an 04' NSX, but...

CerberusM5 said:

5. Do you think the NSX would keep your enthusiasm/interest as much as a 996 turbo or GT3? I usually get bored of cars quickly, but if I want to keep things stable at home, I need to keep my next acquisition for at least several years.

For what is worth,

As a current owner of a GT3, all I can say is that everytime that I get back to my NSX I'm all smiles :).

My NSX fits me like a glove and it's pretty much an extension of my body, and I can get it to do almost anything that I want it to do without having to think.

Even with the few break-in miles that I have logged on the GT3 I can tell that it will require a lot of skill to be able to drive fast. But the brakes/engine/drivetrain on the GT3 are insane, built to take a beating and keep going and going...

A GT3 is a completely different beast compared to a stock NSX, it's like comparing oranges and apples, a buyer who buys a GT3 is very likely to keep that car around because he/she knows what they got themselves into :D. Can't really comment on the 996TT since I don't particulary like the car ;)

Enjoy your NSX, I'm sure that you will be all smiles in no time.

Safe driving,

Ken

Re: Cost Plus?

Michael Barlin said:
So there is no money down? So far 28K and you give it back. I would have a hard time with that, but I am on a budget.

Sorry Michael. I am NOT trying to be sarcastic here but you know what they say about having to ask what it costs ??? :D :D

*I* am on a budget as well but perhaps I can afford just a little more than you can as I am single, no house, no kids. Ain't *I* the lucky one ?!?!?!

All the details of the lease can be found here.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34222

ALL things are negotiable. They SAY $999 down but the dealer can waive that. Depends on how much they want to get rid of the car. The mileage allowance MAY be able to be extended. I, for one, would want to negotiate 10K per year without paying any extra of course.

But you're right. While maintenance costs are probably a bit higher for you with a 13 year old car, depreciation will be MUCH less.

After 3 years, *I* will have paid some $30K. After 3 years, your car will probably still be worth, say, $19-24K or so, no ? So your "cost" for depreciation will only be $10-15K.

So, I guess bottom-lining it would be how much more are a warranty (on the new car), the lesser expense of fixing it (since the warranty will cover almost everything on the new car) and having a NEW car as opposed to a 13 year old one, worth to somebody ? (Or, in this case, you ?)

Best, etc....

Back