Buying a Salvage Title 1993 tomorrow. Looking for Input

I have the opportunity through a customer of my business to acquire this car and was looking for thoughts as i have never thought of a vehicle with a salvage title before

1993 Acura NSX
Yellow / Black
Salvage event was in 1998 when it had 29k miles on it
Now has 71k miles
Just passed smog
Exterior 7.5/10
Interior 9/10
PPI was clean, not current needs (Tires, Brakes, Suspension, Engine Compression, etc)
Has been modded but not to effect reliability (Exhaust, stereo, etc)
It comes with an extra set of factory rear quarter panels.

I don't really need another car. I use my Ferrari 360 as my weekend fun car and I have a 2012 Supercharged XJ Jag as a daily but the price here feels like as long as i am keeping it as a toy or a HDPE car i really can't lose

Am i missing something here that should really scare me off

Last edited:
1993 Salvage title - event was 20 years ago car runs great $18k, Worth it??

I have the opportunity through a customer of my business to acquire this car and was looking for thoughts as i have never thought of a vehicle with a salvage title before

1993 Acura NSX
Yellow / Black
Salvage event was in 1998 when it had 29k miles on it
Now has 71k miles
Just passed smog
Exterior 7.5/10
Interior 9/10
PPI was clean, not current needs (Tires, Brakes, Suspension, Engine Compression, etc)
Has been modded but not to effect reliability (Exhaust, stereo, etc)
It comes with an extra set of factory rear quarter panels.

I don't really need another car. I use my Ferrari 360 as my weekend fun car and I have a 2012 Supercharged XJ Jag as a daily but the price here feels like as long as i am keeping it as a toy or a HDPE car i really can't lose

Am i missing something here that should really scare me off

Last edited:
What event resulted in the salvage title? What was repaired?

Did the PPI reveal any frame issues? That's what I'd be worried about (i.e. bent frame).

Also - I know the snap ring issue was limited to 1991 and 1992 cars, however an early 1993 mfg'd car could have one of those transmissions. Did you check the transmission number to verify? (J4A4-1003542 through J4A4-1005978)

Last edited:
Did the PPI reveal any frame issues? That's what I'd be worried about (i.e. bent frame).

Also - I know the snap ring issue was limited to 1991 and 1992 cars, however an early 1993 mfg'd car could have one of those transmissions. Did you check the transmission number to verify? (J4A4-1003542 THROUGH J4A4-1005978)

Where do i find the tranny number. This is VERY early in the 1993 run. One of the first 300 cars

Last edited:
@Robertpel9 Here's a picture of my engine bay with transmission number indicating where to look (red circled area):

HvghdT6.jpg

1GMRRx0.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Everyone, I checked the Tranny as well and the number is well outside that range. I appreciate the pics...

. I bought it It drives great and the following has less than 4k miles on it

- Clutch
- Brakes
-Tires
-Clutch Cylinder
-AC Compressor and Control Unit
- Custom Installed Kenwood DDX System w/ bluetooth, Nav, etc
- Comptech Headers and Exhaust
-Coilover System

I need to swap the timing belt as it was last done in 2008. It drives straight as an arrow and is very tight.

Last edited:
Dude...first of all congrats on your find. Having said that, I'm sure that you've already noticed that we're a pretty friendly and tight group here and there's always several people on these forums willing to provide great info/advice on anything NSX. However, if you're just looking for info so you can flip this NSX that you fell into so you can make some quick $$$, keep looking. Oh...welcome to the community.

No. I bought it because I always liked them. If i really still have the fun feeling inside i had yesterday driving it around come springtime then I will likely keep it very long term. If not then i will sell in the spring. One thing i found i really like is the lack of power steering. It feels WAY different when pushing in the corners than my 360 Modena in a fun way. I was just asking as i was worried i impulse bought and will be perpetually under water. I bought it as i saw it as a pretty no rusk, no downside way to try out an NSX. I'm replacing the water pump, timing belt and drive belt on tuesday at my Ferrari Mechanic as he worked at an Acura dealership in the late 90's and then i'm going to enjoy it and this community all winter at a minimum. If i had more garage space it wouldn't even be a question of keeping it long term. For now my DD Jag XJ SC is booted outside which sucks.....

Last edited:
No. I bought it because I always liked them. If i really still have the fun feeling inside i had yesterday driving it around come springtime then I will likely keep it very long term. If not then i will sell in the spring. One thing i found i really like is the lack of power steering. It feels WAY different when pushing in the corners than my 360 Modena in a fun way. I was just asking as i was worried i impulse bought and will be perpetually under water. I bought it as i saw it as a pretty no rusk, no downside way to try out an NSX. I'm replacing the water pump, timing belt and drive belt on tuesday at my Ferrari Mechanic as he worked at an Acura dealership in the late 90's and then i'm going to enjoy it and this community all winter at a minimum. If i had more garage space it wouldn't even be a question of keeping it long term. For now my DD Jag XJ SC is booted outside which sucks.....

Congrats on the buy, it sounds like you got a good deal. I agree with your comment on the lack of power steering, it's actually my favorite aspect of driving the NSX. Lastly, in regards to the timing belt change, make sure this guy knows what he's doing and takes his time on it. I changed mine and it was a PITA, and you can easily be off a tooth...

Original Color was Red. I dropped it off last night for full major service (Timing and drive belts, water pump, tensioner, etc. Also putting stock steering wheel on and saving the MOMO wheel.
At that point it has a brand new major service, also within 3k miles a new clutch and clutch cylinder, AC and AC controller, comptech headers and exhaust, kenwood bluetooth stereo, new brakes (both pads and rotors and tires. So without exaggerating its basically as good as an NSX can possibly get regardless of age or miles. I may just keep it for the long term but if anyone has a genuine and serious interest let me know.

Last edited:
Just came back from a full major service, timing belt, etc. Then sent it to a high end alignment shop in Costa Mesa today. Every thing lined up perfect and she has a perfect Bill of health inside and out. I'm pretty psyched as my mechanic is super detailed and finds anything and everything.

Last edited:
Back