Buying a RED one then painting it BLACK

I'm willing to bet this question alone will identify me as a "newbie", but I'm not ashamed!

I'm about to buy a Black one... but I found a handful of red ones with half the mileage for the same price, OR, $8,000 less in price with the same mileage... so it has become obvious to me that Red is least desirable and Black is most desirable, and the price is effected accordingly.

I know someone that owns a body shop, and he said he could paint the entire car for me for around $2000-$3000.

So what do you guys think? Is this a horrible idea, or something not too uncommon? (please take it easy on me...)

do some searching on the pros and cons of a total repaint....also costs vary wildely but from my reading 6-10k do it right.

do some searching on the pros and cons of a total repaint....also costs vary wildely but from my reading 6-10k do it right.

Thanks, i did try to do searches in the forum but spent about 30 mins and didn't come up with any good info.
My buddy did say it SHOULD be much more than $2000-$3000... but I'm going to help (do the b!tch work) and he owes me anyways. So I just thought that since I had this decent connection, this may be a decent route to go.

The repaint (especially one in that price range) will not be nearly as nice as the factory finish, and will also kill the resale value since there will always be a suspicion it was done to hide some kind of damage.

Please just find a black one!

Brian

The repaint (especially one in that price range) will not be nearly as nice as the factory finish, and will also kill the resale value since there will always be a suspicion it was done to hide some kind of damage.

Please just find a black one!

Brian

That was the answer I was looking for. If it's going to damage the integrity of my vehicle, then I couldn't do that.
I DO have a black one that I agreed to the seller's final counter-offer, I'm just waiting for him to accept (not sure why he wouldn't except being that I agreed to HIS number, but for some reason, I haven't gotten a response yet).

I know someone that owns a body shop, and he said he could paint the entire car for me for around $2000-$3000.

Unless you are holding his wife and kids hostage, I don't see how you get a quality paint job for that money, irrespective of how much of the work you think you are going to do yourself. You might be able to get an Earl Scheib special but you're not going to get anything worthy of an nsx.

It makes absolutely no sense to buy a red car and then paint it black. There is virtually NO premium or discount on red or black cars, since both were produced in substantial numbers in all NSX years and are plentiful and easy to find. Overall, 41 percent of NSXs are red, and 31 percent are black. If you want a black NSX, buy a black NSX. You'll save yourself the cost of repainting as well as the decline in market value that will result from doing so. And you'll have the quality of a factory finish, which well exceeds that of a repaint (especially one for $2-3K).

It makes absolutely no sense to buy a red car and then paint it black. There is virtually NO premium or discount on red or black cars, since both were produced in substantial numbers in all NSX years and are plentiful and easy to find. Overall, 41 percent of NSXs are red, and 31 percent are black. If you want a black NSX, buy a black NSX. You'll save yourself the cost of repainting as well as the decline in market value that will result from doing so. And you'll have the quality of a factory finish, which well exceeds that of a repaint (especially one for $2-3K).

Thanks for the response... definitely NOT going to repaint an NSX.... Black it is!!

please just find a black one. I could see if you wanted a really rare OEM color, but Berlina Black's are plentiful.

Bryan, I think you have already come to the right conclusion....find the right car in the right color.

Once you become more familiar with the history, design/development and construction of the NSX, you'll discover that Honda did a lot of great things in building these terrific cars..not the least of which was developing a paint process for an aluminum bodied car that exceeded all standards in it's day (and certainly as good as anything being done today). Preserving the factory finish will enhance the value of your NSX (for eventual resale if that's in your future). And quite honestly, unless you find an NSX that's really been abused or damaged and improperly repaired, a good detailer can restore the paint on these cars to near new levels.

My brother has a red NSX and I have a black one. There are days that I'd prefer to be driving a red one. But when my car is perfectly detailed, in the right setting, with the proper lighting - there's nothing better looking. I'd love to have one of each.....oh, maybe three - add Silverstone.....and, well....a white one would be nice too.

By the way, don't be too hasty....make sure everything is right with the car you are considering. Talk to Yinzer and let him share a bit of his patience with you.

Enjoy, John

I agree with the above sentiments about avoiding a repeat, however as a counterpoint I would say this:

1. It will reduce the value of the car, but if the car has already flatlined in value due to other circumstances (mileage, history, etc), then it shouldn't matter.
2. If the current paint quality is lacking, a repaint may not be a bad call.

If we are talking about a clean, no history well taken care of car, then a repaint is a bad idea. For an older car in somewhat weaker condition, I don't see the harm.

Back