Buying a Prius in California - can you help?

flaminio said:
This is the only reason I'd consider a hybrid -- the free use of HOV lanes. As others have pointed out, hybrids don't make personal economic sense (the car will be long dead before your increased gas mileage pays for the higher car cost). Plus, the battery disposal issue.

But time is money, and whizzing past cars during commute hours is a great benefit.

I got nothing against the Prius as a car -- it'd be a great car at $20,000, but for $30,000 it's just too expensive.
excellent points. depending on one's situation and perspective, buying a hybrid may be very appealing... much like buying an nsx.

I just saw the news and in order for HEV's to drive in HOV lanes the cars are required to have placards on the car (4 on the rear bumpber and 2 on the front bumper).

BTW the placards are really noticeable to every one, but the CA government is working on making the placards less noticeable.

Just found out that the hybrid does not get to cross the bridges for free as initially promised. If you are alone you still have to pay the fare. Disappointing, but that is the way it goes.

According to DMV you get a sticker for the rear bumper and that is it. Once mine arrives I will let you know.

From http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/newsrel/2005-08.htm
It seems I was wrong the hybrids only need to have 4 stickers total but the placement of the stickers is worse than i thought.

DMV has been prepared to move forward with the special sticker distribution program for several months, said DMV Director Joan Borucki. "The yellow stickers will come in a packet of four and will differentiate hybrids from other clean air vehicles. A single sticker must be placed on the front bumper, the back bumper and on the rear quarter panels on both sides of each qualifying vehicle. We are absolutely ready and anxious to get the stickers out to customers as soon as possible," she said.

Back