buying a 92 gp white 75K $27 too mush

k
i just found a 92 gpW w/75K
all stock and no paint work.
no timming belt ,water pump and 90k service.
am i getting in over my head?
please anyone help.

snapring not sure?
plus any other thing i should look for
thanks
jp

i already got him down to that..
he wanted 28,900 for it .
the paint is not that great.
lots of swirls at least that what hw told me.

any help would be great
thank you.

I recently sold my excellent 1992 Coupe white with 57k miles. Brand new clutch, timing belt, water pump, and freshly rebuilt transmission. Has paint work done on right side but no body work. The car has excellent paint and almost mint interior. It has a RSR exhaust. I sold it for $29,500 to a local gentleman.
As a rule of thumb, always try to get the best conditioned NSX you can get for the price. If the car you are looking for has bad paint and questionable service history, you probably should pass. A well cared for 1992 NSX should still has very shiny paint and very good interior. You should not settle for less.
Steve

thanks for the info

i think i might pass
but i what it
i can always wet sand it and try to fix the paint.
the person i'm might be buying it from just bought
it a month ago.....
i'am i buying his problem or does he just what to sell it
i don't know..
i what to stay in the 30k range but not to many around that
r nice............
may be i offer him a little less. but money is not the issue
i want a nice nsx is there any around
thanks
if anyone can help

My vote would also be to pass on this one. $30k should buy you a really nice NSX. Keep looking for one that has been loved and it will make you happy for a long time. FWIW, I found mine on autotrader and have since seem several very nice ones posted in the marketplace.

whiteNSXs said:
I recently sold my excellent 1992 Coupe white with 57k miles. Brand new clutch, timing belt, water pump, and freshly rebuilt transmission. Has paint work done on right side but no body work. The car has excellent paint and almost mint interior. It has a RSR exhaust. I sold it for $29,500 to a local gentleman.
As a rule of thumb, always try to get the best conditioned NSX you can get for the price. If the car you are looking for has bad paint and questionable service history, you probably should pass. A well cared for 1992 NSX should still has very shiny paint and very good interior. You should not settle for less.
Steve

Steve,
If you posted your ads 1 month earlier, I would have bought yours. I think I am the only other white NSXer in SF. White is my favorite color for NSX, and I look for several months and I only found only one in California. Then I bought a 92 white with 67K miles in Feb 03. I pay 29K for the car, plus $2000 for 97+ wheels and $1200 for timing belt, and anohter about $800for window fix-it thingie, hatch struts, 60K maintenance and alarm. If I bought yours, I would have save over $3000. I am kinda regret, but I still love my car;) By the way, did you sell your car to a member here?

JP
I think $27K is a little bit high for the car you describe. However, I think it's pretty hard to find a NSX less than $27K with clean title and less than 100K miles. Good luck on your hunting.

Coleman

NSXER119 said:
Steve,
If you posted your ads 1 month earlier, I would have bought yours. I think I am the only other white NSXer in SF. White is my favorite color for NSX, and I look for several months and I only found only one in California. Then I bought a 92 white with 67K miles in Feb 03. I pay 29K for the car, plus $2000 for 97+ wheels and $1200 for timing belt, and anohter about $800for window fix-it thingie, hatch struts, 60K maintenance and alarm. If I bought yours, I would have save over $3000. I am kinda regret, but I still love my car;) By the way, did you sell your car to a member here?

JP
I think $27K is a little bit high for the car you describe. However, I think it's pretty hard to find a NSX less than $27K with clean title and less than 100K miles. Good luck on your hunting.

Coleman
Hi Coleman,
That's too bad. My car was just sitting in my garage for almost 2 years. If I am not mistaken, the person who sold you the car owned it for only a year or so. His name is sorta Dan, Derrick, and something like that, right? If we are talking about the same person, I almost sold my car to him last year. At the time I wanted a lot more for the car. Something like $33k or $34k or so because I just spent $3.5k on the clutch, tranny and a few things. The car was just sitting in my garage with occasional drives around the block. The gentleman who bought my car last week saw the car first time and bought it at the spot without even a test drive. It is all about timing.
So for our friend here who is looking at a 1992 NSX with bad paint, I thing he should just pass albeit the white color. A good NSX should not have bad paint, period. Bad paint just shows neglect and mistreat. Finding the right car has to be patient.
Steve

whiteNSXs said:
Hi Coleman,
That's too bad. My car was just sitting in my garage for almost 2 years. If I am not mistaken, the person who sold you the car owned it for only a year or so. His name is sorta Dan, Derrick, and something like that, right? If we are talking about the same person, I almost sold my car to him last year. At the time I wanted a lot more for the car. Something like $33k or $34k or so because I just spent $3.5k on the clutch, tranny and a few things. The car was just sitting in my garage with occasional drives around the block. The gentleman who bought my car last week saw the car first time and bought it at the spot without even a test drive. It is all about timing.
So for our friend here who is looking at a 1992 NSX with bad paint, I thing he should just pass albeit the white color. A good NSX should not have bad paint, period. Bad paint just shows neglect and mistreat. Finding the right car has to be patient.
Steve

Hi Steve,
The guy who sold the car to me is name Garthed, he is living in east bay. He is also a member here. The car that I bought had several rock chip in the front pumper, but overall, the paint is pretty good. I wonder how bad is the paint JP is talking about. If he only talk about rock chip, I think it is very normal for a 11 year old high performance car. If he is really looking for white only, there should not be too much options. As you say, finding the right car has to be patient.
Coleman

thanks for all the info....
i would love to fine the right car,but like someone said
its hard to fine nice nsx for 27K...
should i buy this one and fix it up... or
wait for one that is perfect..?or close to it..
if i can buy this one for, lets say 25k is it worth my time to
fix it... it does have a clean title.....
\
\thanks
jp

Hi, JP
I still think 27K is a little bit high because you need to spend quite alot after you buy the car...
such as timing belt and water pump ~$1300
If snap ring fail it costs ~$2000 to 2500
if the clutch had never been replace, it costs ~ $2000+
I assume you will upgrade the wheels sooner or later (because 91-93 stock wheels don't look good with NSX) ~$2000+
and other maintenance costs....

However, I think the paint can be fixed easily because the color is white. A $100+ detail job should make the paint look good or at least much better.

If you can make sure the transmission is not in snap ring...then you can save about $2500, and $27K is a OK price. You can find out if the transmission by checking the transmission number. the link below has more info you need for snap ring
http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Troubleshooting/transmission.htm

Actually, is white the only color you want? If you look for another color, you may be able to buy a car for about $30K but you don't need to spend more money on maintenace or parts....

Coleman

Look guys, I appreciate your advise on my car here to Mike, but I don't appreciate the bashing on the NSX. This car is very clean for an original paint car and the only issue I am not sure about is the timing belt. Otherwise, the car is very clean and the price if fair for a GP white NSX at $28k. Also, it is not a snap ring car.

Thanks,
Jason

Tebbnsxr said:
Look guys, I appreciate your advise on my car here to Mike, but I don't appreciate the bashing on the NSX. This car is very clean for an original paint car and the only issue I am not sure about is the timing belt. Otherwise, the car is very clean and the price if fair for a GP white NSX at $28k. Also, it is not a snap ring car.

Thanks,
Jason

Chill out, Jason. How can we bash your car if we have not even seen it? We are all here to help out a prospective buyer who asks the list members' opinions based on what HE TOLD us about the condition of your car. Everything said so far is just objective opinion and why do you need to be so offended? It is a free market and people will determine eventually if your car is indeed fair at $28k. Nothing personal.
Steve :)

It's very difficult to judge a fair price for a car based on a description on the Internet posted by the seller. There are too many sellers who either (a) have a much higher opinion of their car than it deserves, or (b) know what their car is really like, but lie about it. There are also some who actually understate their car's condition, so you never really know without a personal inspection yourself, or one by an unbiased third party.

This car is a perfect example. There has been mention of swirl marks in the paint. Some posters assume that the car has serious paint problems and major repainting - for which I don't blame Jason for getting irked - while it's equally possible that the swirl marks are minor and are typical of cars with that mileage - which means that it is no big deal, and the car may even be a bargain at $28K.

Too many people are ready to assume things about a car based on an interpretation of words that may or may not be warranted. The point is, YOU JUST DON'T KNOW if you haven't seen the car in person.

Thanks for your post nsxtacy, as you seem to understand what I am trying to convey here, which is not anger or hostility but just a response in regards to my car. Yes, it does have swirl marks from the 12 year old original factory paint. I am positive that I could find some swirls on any NSX owners car out there simply because the are no perfect cars. PERIOD.. I have seen many exotics and have yet to find a perfect paint job because they simply do not exsist. I believe that $28k is a fair price for my car and have taken into consideration the timing belt. The belt and water pump cost $1k from Riverside Acura in Little Rock so I discounted the price $1k to $28k. All other issues are good on the car including new clutch about 7k ago. I have all documents from 54k on and all keys including the metal one.

Jason

thanks everbody for your input..

when i buy an nsx, first thing i want to do is drive it.
i don't want to take it in for service... fix this, fix that ..
if i spend 30k on a car i dont what to put another 3-4k
into it right away, plus i don't have that kind of money anyways..
ya it might be a good deal but what am i realling buying ...
i know for sure:
1. paint is not perfect.
2. no timming belt and soon.
3.front windshield has been replaced&molding is comming apart.
4.brand new passager front seat...?y
5.drive side window reg.. fixed but still doesn't go up or down
like it should..
6.trans number he gave me is only 6 digits
this is some of the things i know about the car...

what to do? but after all this he probably will not even
sell me the car....
thanks for all your help...
jp

Mike,

Hey its me here(TebbNSX) the owner of the NSX. I finally registered on NSX Prime. Anyway, you have concerns and that is fine, If you don't think my car is good enough then go spend more than you want to spend on one(30k plus). I have told you everything and been very informative and helpful about the NSX. If you don't buy it then fine, no big deal. My opinion, you are way too picky for a 12 year old NSX. If you were spending $110k on a Ferrari F355 then I could understand. First, If you would check your email then you would see that I sent you the trans VIN# and no it is not a snapring car. Second, big deal about the windshield molding, It can be replaced and fixed by Acura to almost new status, and I do not believe that a replaced windshield will de value a car at all. Also, the timing belt /water pump will cost you $1k to get done. Next, you will not find a perfect paint job on any NSX in your budget PERIOD!!! If you want to spend $40k for a ultra low mileage NSX then you will have a better paint job but not perfect. A perfect paint job does not exsist on any car. Your challenge Mike will be finding this perfect NSX you want for the price you want to spend on one. Sorry, but it is just not realistic. This car is nice and it is no piece of crap like you may think. In fact, my guess is there are many NSXers on this board that would be proud to own this car. Also, I told you the pass. seat was redone with Acura leather, It looks brand new. The reason, the second owner spilled a paint chemical on it and it was ruined. Would you rather have an old seat than a brand new one???

regards,
Jason

nsxchi-town said:
when i buy an nsx, first thing i want to do is drive it. i don't want to take it in for service... fix this, fix that .. if i spend 30k on a car i dont what to put another 3-4k into it right away, plus i don't have that kind of money anyways..

Then don't look for an NSX, because one that is "perfect" - meaning that it is in excellent condition, no issues at all, and average mileage (5K miles per year) is probably going to cost more than $30K.

Also, if you do buy an NSX, you need to be able to afford to spend a few grand, just in case the clutch or the A/C has a problem. If you are spending so much that you can't afford a repair like that, then you shouldn't be buying an NSX.

Unless there are actual problems with the car that have not yet been discussed, and it is indeed in nice condition, the price sounds reasonable. You will have to have the car thoroughly inspected by someone who knows what they are doing to verify the condition.

As for the specific concerns listed:

1. No 12 year old car with 75k miles is going to have perfect original paint. That expectation is unrealistic. If the paint is in POOR condition, that is another issue, but it is simply not going to be perfect.

2. The need for timing belt appears to have been fairly factored into the asking price.

3. If it needs a new front windshield molding, it's maybe a $200 job. This is certainly not a deal breaker.

4. Is there some sort of problem with the brand new passenger seat? Most people would be happy to trade their original seats in a 75k mile car for brand new ones if they are in great condition.

5. What do you mean the window doesn't go up and down like it's supposed to? What, exactly, is the problem?

6. You only need the last 4 digits of the transmission number to verify if it's in or out of snap ring range.

nsxtasy:

to spending money to fix a car is not the problem.
i do have plently to spend, i just wish not to..
when i do spend money one a nsx it will be for "gofast" parts not
repairs.(aleast for the first couple of years) i have a(2000) s2000 that i have never had to do anyrepairs to.a 95 legend coupe with a 170K on it and only done timming
belts, and a wrx wagon that i dumped money into that is probably faster the most nsx's... so please keep your comments to your self..(about money). you don't know me...as i don't know u.and lets keep it that way...

please, i just trying to find nsx at a good value
b/s i am not buying a brand new i am looking for an 10 to 12 year nsx which in my eyes it old...

nsxtasy said:
Then don't look for an NSX, because one that is "perfect" - meaning that it is in excellent condition, no issues at all, and average mileage (5K miles per year) is probably going to cost more than $30K.

Also, if you do buy an NSX, you need to be able to afford to spend a few grand, just in case the clutch or the A/C has a problem. If you are spending so much that you can't afford a repair like that, then you shouldn't be buying an NSX.

No offense to the poster of this thread, but it seems to me like there is too much whining and negativity about something that SEEMS up to par with what the seller is asking. Your expectations are unreasonable. You can't expect to find an elderly Grandmother or a widower of a perfect NSX owner that knows nothing about it or what it is worth and sells it for nothing. I got a great deal on my 91, but I knew going into it that I would be putting some money into the car to make it as perfect as I desired including timing belt, tranny rebuild, window regulators, etc. You want a new screamer with a perfect paint job for under 30k, go buy a Mitsi Lancer Evolution which I think is still over 30. You want an exotic that is reliable, buy the NSX and you won't regret it. If you can't afford to maintain it, then don't buy it becasuse chances are that even if you get that perfect 91 NSX, after 12 years something is due to be replaced.

Mike,

Look, some of your points are valid and some are not. I understand you want a good NSX and my car is. You know the issues none of which are major. Buy it do the timing belt, get the clearcoat buffed and you will be as happy as getting your first car at age 16. If you want it I will go to $27,700.00 bottom dollar and that is if you buy it by next weekend. You know the issues so just make a decision.

Thanks,
Jason

may be you guy's r right ...
maybe i should buy a evo III (right)

i point is i love the nsx. i already on a list for the 2nd gen. nsx if
honda ever brings it to the market..
i what a 1st gen. one to add to my collection...

i what to find a nice one. i do belive i will.....
my 95 coupe: dealer said no blk on blk but guess what i found one.
my s2000: silver and red in the first year
was not on any list still found one the may of 2000.
2003 h2 got one for sticker without being on a list...with no extras
so as long as there is a car out there i will find one
used cars r a little harder but i do belive i will find one ..
thanks everone for all your help.....

jason i told you its not about the price...

but u keep lower your price, that not going to help me...
u should always stay frim on your price if u think its a good buy..

Mike,

Look, I told you do what you want. My guess is you will not be disappointed by my car. The price is good, the condition is awesome, a few minor issues but overall most people on this board would be very happy with this NSX. $300.00 is not a significant drop in price I just figured it might help you get the timing belt done more economically. So, if you don't want it for $27,700.00 then you can have it for $28k that is even better for me. In your original email you said you were looking to spend between $22-25k. Yea right you could not touch a good NSX for that price. So, if it is not about price then what is it?? If you are unwilling to spend the money to fly here to look at it then how will you know if it is nice enough or not? What gives? If you want a GP White then good luck finding one that is as clean as mine with these miles. The fact that paint is original certainly warrants the $28k price, plus new clutch at $2k. Please just make your decision to either come look at it or not. Sorry, but unless you find one locally, you will have to play the travel game to buy one of these cars.

Jason

nsxchi-town said:
thanks for the info

i think i might pass
but i what it
i can always wet sand it and try to fix the paint.
the person i'm might be buying it from just bought
it a month ago.....
i'am i buying his problem or does he just what to sell it
i don't know..
i what to stay in the 30k range but not to many around that
r nice............
may be i offer him a little less. but money is not the issue
i want a nice nsx is there any around
thanks
if anyone can help

Come on guys, this guy has done NOTHING wrong. If you read what he wrote, he is sincerely asking us to give him some guildlines as to what to buy. Don't tell him to buy something else because "he cannot afford it" bullcrap! He has every right to spend the money the way he wants if he can on his car. He clearly stated repeatedly that he wants to spend $30k for a nice NSX. Is there anything wrong with that? I think for $30k, he can certainly find a very nice NSX with very nice outside and inside and that's what he wants. He came across with this 92 white reportedly has " not so great paint," the owner has had it for merely one month, and some other issues. So far he has not seen the car and these issues were brought up by the owner. He WILL find a nice NSX for $30k and meets all his expectations. What Jlindy said is totally unfair. The guy NEVER said he wanted a perfect car for $28k. As I said, there is nothing wrong with him looking for the right car for $30k. To me it is more suspicious of a bad car when the owner keeps lowering the price and to shove the car down his throat.
Steve

Last edited:
Back