Bronx Zoo outing 8/14

After an enjoyable day at the Botanical Gardens a few weeks ago, albeit in the rain, The Don and I have talked about another photo outing to the Bronx Zoo on Saturday, 8/14. All are welcome to spend a day with beasts you don't have to work with.

For those who have not been to the Zoo, here are a couple of galleries. They have done a great job with the exhibits compared to when I went as a kid and every animal was locked in a small cage.

http://photography.robertondrovic.com/Animals

The best time to get there is around 10 when it opens. First of all, it is easiest to get a good parking spot. But most importantly, the animals will all be up and about.

I have never had a problem with "safe" parking in their lots and I have parked both my NSX and E55 there many times.

We'll firm up the details later in the week when we get a handle on who is coming and what the weather will be like.

TonyD said:
Bob,

I assume you are planning for a 10am meeting time since that is when the Zoo opens?

The wife is in town and I don't know if she would want to get up that early :)

Hmmm, she my want to complain to you in person about your encouragement in my upgrades of lens, digital camera :)

That's correct. And I encourage you to bring the bride nice and early so she will be too tired to beat me up.

I will be optimistic and assume that there will be no rain on Saturday. Please confirm if you are definitely coming on Saturday and meeting us at 10:00 am.

So far it is me, The Don, Pete and The Lovely Sylvia Mills, Tony D and Bags as definites.

Plan on meeting in the parking lot off of Exit 6 of the Bronx Parkway. When you get into the parking lot, drive all the way down to the end so we can keep all the cars together. Here is a link to the map of the zoo: http://bronxzoo.com/media/file/BronxZooMapS2004.pdf

From New Jersey (the Bronx Zoo is only a few miles from the GW Bridge):
Most direct route:
Take any of the major highways (I95/NJ Turnpike, Garden State Pkwy, I80) to the GW Bridge.
Once across bridge follow signs to Cross Bronx Expwy (I95).
Take Cross Bronx take exit 4B and follow signs to the Bronx River Pkwy north (you’ll be bearing left after the I95 entrance ramp).
The Bronx Zoo is located at exit 6 off the Bronx River Pkwy.
This is the Bronx River entrance (Gate B).

From Brooklyn, Queens or Long Island:
Take any of the major highways (L.I.E., Grand Central, Van Wyck, BQE, Cross Island) to the Whitestone Bridge.
Once across bridge, take the Hutchinson River Pkwy north.
Exit the Hutchinson River Pkwy at Pelham Pkwy west (approximately 2 miles up)
Follow Pelham Pkwy west for 2 miles.
Turn left on Boston Road (just after passing under the subway).
Turn right at light. The Bronx Zoo entrance is located directly ahead after the underpass.
This is the Bronx River entrance (Gate B).

Bob,

Thanks for the directions, otherwise I would have been driving around on Jungle World Road wondering where everyone was.
Looks like a short 86mi hop from my place. (that should be about an hour drive :D )

P.S. After working in Fort Benning, GA for a week, I have the same desires of a Waffle House as Don.... (I suppose IHOP could be a second choice) :)

thedon67 said:
is there a Waffle House nearby?

LOL!!!!!!!!

Hey Don, Tony... how about White Castle on Boston & Allerton?:D Or as Bailey suggested, Arthur Ave. sounds great!

Somehow Bailey's ideas sound better.

BTW, Miled, how many white castles do you eat in one sitting?:eek:

RSO 34 said:
My best was 50 plus a shake. I figure Miled should easily triple my personal best.

I used to eat at least that much, but since I cut out the carbs a few years ago, I don't anymore. So now I peel the little square breads and just eat the paper-thin beef and cheese.:D

thedon67 said:

Man, I used to live by it!:D I gotta keep telling myself "no carbs!"

thedon67 said:

You should worry about the sitting that comes later after you eat all those Belly bombers. :eek: :eek: :eek:

aaa.gif

Back