Bridgestone RE 070: Super tire?

Just read a test in a german auto mag where the Subaru Impreza WRX STi ran 8:24 on the Nurburgring Nordschleife with the new Bridgestone RE 070 sports tires (street legal). They made the same run with Bridgestone RE 040 and it was 8 seconds slower.

It is also stated that the 070 improved vastly the overall handling of the car and is also good driveable on wet roads which is astonishing for a sports tire. The size is 225/45 R 17. Does anybody know this tire already and if it's available in NSX sizes too?

BTW: The Subaru was half a second quicker on the Hockenheim short track than the NSX 3.2 cp. tested in 1997 on Bridgestone OEM tires.

NSX-Racer said:
Just read a test in a german auto mag where the Subaru Impreza WRX STi ran 8:24 on the Nurburgring Nordschleife with the new Bridgestone RE 070 sports tires (street legal). They made the same run with Bridgestone RE 040 and it was 8 seconds slower.

It is also stated that the 070 improved vastly the overall handling of the car and is also good driveable on wet roads which is astonishing for a sports tire. The size is 225/45 R 17. Does anybody know this tire already and if it's available in NSX sizes too?

BTW: The Subaru was half a second quicker on the Hockenheim short track than the NSX 3.2 cp. tested in 1997 on Bridgestone OEM tires.

FYI,

The NA-2 Type R already uses RE-070's on it's 17 inch wheels. I've checked with Bridgestone in the US and they don't import the RE-070's in the NSX specific sizes, but it's just a matter of time given that you can get a hold of the RE-070's for the STi.

So you might be able to get them through the Bridgestone distributor in Germany.

Ken

BTW: The faster laptimes and braking performance on the NA2-R are attributed to the RE-070's according to various magazine reports. The last *EVO* magazine that did the Car of the Year comparo, commented on the fact that the Type-R that they tested did not have the RE-070's and that the car felt a bit different.

In a UK magazine, they tested a UK spec NSX Type R this week. This would be the car that we may get here soon.

The RE070 at the moment is not UK street legal, so they couldn't drive on road just track. The tyres have tread, but they haven't been through the 'legal' process yet. So the car may have to come with other tyres.

Also the UK Type R will have the normal airbag steering wheel, not the Momo one.

RE070

I phoned with Bridgestone Germany (Mr.Wissel) last year and this year.
The tires are only available at the japanese market !
S03 PP's are actually the best choice of this brand.

Bad to hear that the NSX-R in UK spec will have other tires
too. One of the most impressive thing at that car is not available.....ouchhhh.
A big loss.

(No MOMO steering wheel ? That's not the problem because all parts needed are available)

Maybe we should order a container with RE 070's directly from japan ?
But I would need 17 and 18 inch tires.

The Bridgestone tire finder is a joke. You get this result:
Reifenfinder PKW
Ihre Auswahl
Modelljahr :_1998
Land :_Deutschland
Marke :_HONDA
Modell :_NSX
Typ :_T
Getriebeart :_manuell
Hubraum :_3,2
Kraftstoffart :_Super bleifrei
Results are provided for guidance only. Please take the advice of your local dealer concerning the exact choice of tyre and suitability for your requirements. All tyres should be fitted by a trained professional.

Passende Reifendimensionen und Produkte
Das System kann derzeit keine Reifen finden, die Ihren Anforderungen entsprechen.

= there are no tires for my car (they only have the choice for 1998 T models although I have a '98 cp.). You get the same results for the 2004 NSX and the 2004 Subaru WRX Sti (originaly equipped with Bridgestones!).

edit: Just phoned Bridgestone Germany. The RE 070 is available in one dimension: 225/45 R 17 W 90 which is the right dimension for the 2004 Subaru WRX STi.

Last edited:
I highly appreciate your offer, Henry, but that leads us to some questions:
Are they available in my stock sizes 16/17 inch?
Could the shipping costs be higher than the tires itself?
What shall I do if one tire goes flat at my car? No way to get another one here...

As good as these RE 070 may be I would stick to my current SO 03 PPs for intermediate and wet track tires as long as the REs are not available here in my sizes.

We would need to find a Bridgestone distributor in Henry's country, which could deliver to Bridgestone Germany.
Maybe they have interests to stock some of them in different sizes from 16 - 18 inches.

I'm sure that they could sell them. (Also to UK !)

Another option is to change to another brand (Pirelli, Michelin) which are producing also special tires.
But if they will working at our X's , thats another question.

A lot of the Porsche guys use Michelin Cup Sport on the track. They are a semi slick kind if thing similar to the RE070. I checked though and they are not available in stock NSX sizes.

It seems like most of the dedicated track tyres, are not avilable in the NSX 16/17 sizes. Some are available in 15/16 sizes.

My tire guy is still trying to get me a price for those RE070. I don't know if they come in 16/17, but they definitely come in sizes for 17/17 (215/40/17, 255/0/17)

Like these I have available?
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30748

NSX-Racer said:

I'm interested. How much can you get them for?

I'm still waiting (yes, after all this time, still waiting) for a price quote for the RE070.

Henry.

You mean these?? I thought they came on the 04 STi?

0e_3.JPG

j14nsx said:
A lot of the Porsche guys use Michelin Cup Sport on the track. They are a semi slick kind if thing similar to the RE070. I checked though and they are not available in stock NSX sizes.

you are not correct if you are referring to the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup. These tires are available in stock 205/50R15 and 225/50R16 sizes

Procar Specials said:
Hi Ken,

thx that you are answering for me ;)

Hi Detlef,

I actually considered the 17/17 2002 wheel setup for my Stoptech's and they would not work, so I doubted that they would work with the Movit kit without spacers, the funny thing is that that particular wheel style (BBS) fits on the Stoptech kit that they use on the Mini, but then again it's a much lower offset.

Ken

Back