Brembo "Indy" Maintenance Questions

Since the weather has gotten sour here in TN, I figured I'd put the NSX up on jackstands and do a little undercarriage cleaning and maintenance. My vehicle came with the Comptech Brembo 12.4" "Indy" kit on the front, and before I start unbolting things I'd like to know what the proper technique for disassembling and maintenance is on these calipers. The regular "F50" calipers are completely different than these, and I'd rather not screw up such pricey brakes due to my ignorance.

I've read on various places that the Brembo racing calipers require regular maintenance to function properly, but after hours of searching both here and elsewhere I can't find any documentation or instructions. My primary motivation for this is a problem with uneven dusting; the driver's side front wheel dusts considerably more than the other, and both sides are (to my knowledge) running Porterfield RS4 pads.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

i've never fully disassembled my brakes but i have an equal deposit of a lot of dirty dust all over the wheels all the time. i just usually just blow them out if it's bad or give them a good wash. I'll have to watch the post and see what is said.

i've never fully disassembled my brakes but i have an equal deposit of a lot of dirty dust all over the wheels all the time. i just usually just blow them out if it's bad or give them a good wash. I'll have to watch the post and see what is said.
I'd like to get to know them, mostly because there are very few people I trust to work on my cars.

As for the dusting, I have noticeable dust after driving a very short distance. I've gotten in the habit of wiping down the wheels with an old t-shirt and Quick Detailer after every drive.

I have the exact fronts as you.A few years back I had mine rebuilt, John V at Brookfield acura did it for me,as a favor.Your best bet is a local race shop or acura dealer that has race experience like Brookfield.Certainly if you are handy you can diy it but the tricky part is getting the right rebuild kit ie correct dust shield size ect...

I have the exact fronts as you.A few years back I had mine rebuilt, John V at Brookfield acura did it for me,as a favor.Your best bet is a local race shop or acura dealer that has race experience like Brookfield.Certainly if you are handy you can diy it but the tricky part is getting the right rebuild kit ie correct dust shield size ect...
That's part of the problem: there is very little information around about the X98.D2 11/14 calipers that come with the kit. There is some technical information floating around (drawings mostly) in reference to the F430 Challenge Stradale (which uses the same calipers in the rear), but no specific information on rebuild kits or maintenance.

At a minimum I'd simply like to disassemble and clean them, but again I don't want to do anything that is going to screw them up.

The biggest difference is the lack of dust boots which improves the longevity and reduces the maintenance of a street caliper. To clean them, liberally use brake-clean to spray all around, in and out of the calipers (with the pads removed) to get all of the dust, grime, and pad material out. It might be a good idea to do this as often as you change your oil, or every other change.

Billy

Billy should'nt you be in a race car right now...or are you logging in between stints:wink:

The biggest difference is the lack of dust boots which improves the longevity and reduces the maintenance of a street caliper. To clean them, liberally use brake-clean to spray all around, in and out of the calipers (with the pads removed) to get all of the dust, grime, and pad material out. It might be a good idea to do this as often as you change your oil, or every other change.

Billy
How do I remove the brake pads? There is a metal clip that goes over the top, but I can't figure out how to remove them after that.

How do I remove the brake pads? There is a metal clip that goes over the top, but I can't figure out how to remove them after that.

pad removal is easy just unclip the two front metal bars and wiggle the pads loose by pushing one pad/piston in to make some room,both pads should just slide out.

pad removal is easy just unclip the two front metal bars and wiggle the pads loose by pushing one pad/piston in to make some room,both pads should just slide out.
Thanks! I just went out to the garage and removed the pads, cleaned the pistons with brake cleaner, and slapped everything back together. Hopefully this will help with my uneven dusting, but I'm glad that it is clean regardless.

Thanks to everyone for your help. Is there a regular service cycle where I should send the calipers back to Brembo for a rebuild?

You might want to talk to http://prosystembrakes.com/

They are a Brembo distributor and were very helpful when I needed parts/pads for a ex CART 8 piston caliper. I spoke with Ashley Page but he may not be there anymore.

Don't be put off by them being in stock car land - they're racers.

Back