brake rotors

hello folks this question is for the folks that have the brake rotors are you getting a lot of brake dust on your wheels?

CCB's or Iron?

From NSXCAPADES, There were 4 cars there with CCB and 1 with the iron. The iron brakes had dust after 3 stops normal traffic. Ole can chime in on that. After the autocross my wheels still looked good .Oles were covered with dust

From NSXCAPADES, There were 4 cars there with CCB and 1 with the iron. The iron brakes had dust after 3 stops normal traffic. Ole can chime in on that. After the autocross my wheels still looked good .Oles were covered with dust

..so who had the best time?

CCB's are virtually dust free, iron will most always provide lots o dust....JM2C...I could be wrong..:tongue:

Acura is new to ceramic brakes.....I don't know much about how they perform, but Porsche owners
have a wealth of experience.

Many serious P-car track rats switch their ceramics out for steel or order their new GT cars with steel.
Feedback from friends who never track their cars, love their $9K ceramics. I have steel in my Turbo
and they have been excellent!

Here's a snippet from the dark side:

Scan_zpsyw0oxb0s.jpeg~original

With about 5kmi of non track driving so far, I’ve seen little to no dusting of my CCBs on wheels.
Good thing, since I’ve got the Polished IW wheels which would probably show a lot.
Along with negligible inherent dusting, I’m guessing a lot of my non track driving has re-gen doing a good portion of the braking work. But without a graphic displaying what the computers are doing, who knows.

For comparison,my GT-R under same typical driving conditions is always dusting the wheels. I’m a clean freak so I’m constantly cleaning those before or after each time used. And even though it has the darker wheels, the dusting is not as dark so really shows and takes away from the look. So in hindsight, being an early order owner I’m actually glad Acura took away my ability to decide between the two. I was on the fence of which to order with a slight lean toward the CCBs vs cost savings. No regrets... other than missing the recent cost incentive buying. But then again, I’d probably have to settle on a car that was nice, vs exactly as I spec’d it. A year plus later and 5kmi of use, I’d not have changed anything in my configuration. That helps the cost wounds... a little anyway.

I have the CCB's but I hear so many great things about the stock Iron brakes, lol. It makes me wonder if the CCB was really an upgrade or not. I heard you can possibly damage the CCB's if you're not careful taking off the wheels and it wacks the rotors, which could cost thousands to replace. The iron brakes are better for tracking supposedly because they are more durable or something.

I feel that the iron brakes are perfectly adequate for the normal street guy and occasional track guy. I heard that the CCB's are the best brakes money can buy, but if you track them seriously, they are consumed quickly. I have also read, conversely, that CCB's used on the street can last forever.The other factor is that they reduce unsprung weight significantly, not that it really matters for the street. I toiled on the issue, but decided in the end, that they were the best, and every other supercar has them, and that they might help with resale should I not wear them out and have to replace them. I suppose largely also because they are a vanity thing..... "look at those CCB's...." But if you look at a big tank 63' Corvette with BIG brakes, it's worth about $200k more than a stock car...... So, in the end I'm hoping it will someday payoff...... Time will tell.
I was looking at a low option car at $163K with iron brakes, that was offered at $133k, with no further dealer room, and I ended up buying a MSRP $184.1K car for $141.1K, so basically I got $21.1K in options for $8K over the plane jane base car, including the MSRP cost of the $10,900 cost of the CCB's?? So, I figured that was a well spent $8K.....

Last edited:
Back