"brake" question of the evening

I was a little bit surprised when I saw old rotors installed with slots like on pic 1. Looked if vents were directional but no. Now new powerslot rotors supposed to be installed with slots in opposite direction - pic2. Which to me makes more sense than old setup. For one if you consider friction line when slot "hits" pad surface - pic2 suggest more natural less agressive behavior. More like shaving in direction your hair grows :biggrin:

Vents inside both old and new rotors are straight. If they would be curve shaped then that alone would dictate direction. Not the case here - just plain old oem like vents.

Thoughts? Comments?

Attachments

• IMG_6743.jpg
    IMG_6743.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_6744.jpg
    IMG_6744.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
When I installed my stoptech kit, it specified the rotors should be installed like picture 1. Did the research, and the reason was as you stated. By having the slots cut aggressively into the brake pads, they slice off any glazed surface on the pad with the first contact, then "BITE" into the pads. If you are concerned about performance (which I assume since you didnt buy blanks) I would mount your new rotors the same as the old ones were.

+1 agree

and make sure you notice the front rotors are thicker.

the rear rotors are thinner,

I ended up having to remove them when I found out the rear calipers would not slide over the rotors

" I said F-Kkkkkk LOL G.D it son of a B " lessen learned LOL

but the upgraded rotors make the car look so much better.

what was honda thinking when they put little baby civic brakes on their top of the line Honda.

you got the bug.... you got the bug.... you got the mod bug...:biggrin:

I think I got the mod bug about 3 days into owning my first NSX
then all down hill from there everything then needed to be upgraded
interior, wheels, skirts, brakes Uped them to 3.2L version rear, added the gold calipers from an 02+, 02+ valance, upper trunk to the newer 02+ small spoiler under the main one.
added Navi from a 05 TL into the Navi pod form SOS.
new carpet, both door panels it keeps going man. trust us.

but a def upgrade and will only put you back 35 bucks is a cheapo HID kit for the headlights no need to buy the expensive ones the cheapo's do the same thing the brand I buy is the Xenon brand 32 bucks on e-bay you need 9006 and the best color temp with the pop-up lights is the 6000K slight hint of blue
heres a link
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fog-Light-HID-XENON-SLIM-KIT-3000K-5000K-6000K-8000K-10000K-12000K-15000K-30000K-/140762352975?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3ANSX&hash=item20c6170d4f&vxp=mtr

enjoy, as for fender liners I looked and only had 1 spare which I need for one of my builds

Last edited:
The direction of the slots don't matter, it really just depends on how the manufacturer of the rotor did them. What really matters is the directions of the vanes in the center of the rotor. These have to face the right way as to provide cooling to the rotor

The direction of the slots don't matter, it really just depends on how the manufacturer of the rotor did them. What really matters is the directions of the vanes in the center of the rotor. These have to face the right way as to provide cooling to the rotor

100% agree:)

That's the most important part getting the vanes right.

shawn110975 said:
what was honda thinking when they put little baby civic brakes on their top of the line Honda.
It doesn't have Civic brakes.

NSX's share the basic brake system with Honda Legends (KA8/7)
It does its job quite well certainly considering the age of the car.

Thanks guys. Vanes are straight not curved. I finished late yesterday and haven't bed them in yet. Plan to go now. I will leave it as powerslot suggested it to be.

Now these would have to go to the right side.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
They are PowerSlot brand rotors?
Most PowerSlot rotors have directional vanes..

http://www.powerslot.com/products/rotors/power-slot-rotors
PowerSlot said:
Directional Vane Design
Most Power Slot® rotors match the original factory cooling vane design. In the most popular sports car and light truck applications, Power Slot® has improved the design by using directional (left- and right-handed) vanes to improve cooling. This represents a distinct upgrade from the original equipment rotors, which usually feature a straight vane or pillar vane design. The directional vane is a more efficient air pump. The resulting increase in airflow translates into greater resistance to brake fade and faster recovery from temperature spikes generated by aggressive braking maneuvers.
drr_126_cutaway.jpg

They are PowerSlot brand rotors?
Most PowerSlot rotors have directional vanes..
Yeah these are powerslot. But to my surprise they don't have neither black coated centers nor directional vanes. But I still wonder why powerslot instructions and part numbers strictly suggest which goes to left and which to right.

Back