• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

brake light failure display

I have a 91 silver with 23,000 miles, My brake light indicater stays on sometimes, Mostly when i dont drive it often enough.It stayed on for years but recently turned off on its own. NSXes can be quirky that way!

Can someone just clearly post which wires need to be grounded and which need to be cut? It is confusing...

:mad: White/Green did not work. I have the brake light indicator back on today. Any other suggestions? I guess it went away after I restarted car and I thought I fixed it. Usually goes away when I restart car but I want this to go away permenently

So you grounded the white/green wire on the passenger side brake light harness and the warning light still lights? I find that strange...

Anyways, I found that the brake light warning light would only come on (and stay on) after the brake pedal was depressed after a restart of the car.

I would make sure that that wire was grounded properly before giving up.

Good luck!

My brake lamp failure light used to light up, but since I changed one of the taillight pigtails I have not seen the brake lamp failure light for a few years. The contacts inside the pigtails heat up and erode or break off, which can be the source of brake lamp failure light problems. In my particular case it was the left-most pigtail, which seems logical as the left brake light circuit carries more current that the right side circuit (I think).

My suggestion would be to remove the taillight bulbs one by one, closely examine the inside of the socket, and squirt some dielectric grease in each one, making sure to do them methodically one at a time. Replace any pigtail that has burned or eroded contacts down inside the pigtail. You can purchase a standard japanese replacement pigtail at an auto parts store, then solder it in place of the old one.

Last edited:
I had a similar problem. My idea is excessive resistance in the electrical part of the ignition sw..It sounds crazy but have you ever had your ign sw apart? Noticed a slightly melted contact and grease that looks old??

I just replaced my tail lights with LED panels. The brake light indicator light was on, so I cut the orange/white wire coming from the passenger tail light and grounded it. Problem solved!

Dumb question. After hitting the brake pedal?

I did the cut/ground with the car off. Now when turning the ignition on, the "brake light" is illuminated for a couple seconds (when all the others are, for bulb check) and then goes off. Never comes on again, regardless of pressing the brake pedal.

I've just done LED conversion and brake lamp, hand brake and ABS light has come on since. I thought it was just a light but I had a scary major lock up today.
I'm trying to ground orange/white stripe wire but either grounding point isnt good or different for RHD. Can anyone point me to photos.
Also, how is this related to my ABS being disabled.

Thanks

I have the brake, parking brake, ABS and TCS lights on. Hours of attempts to fix. Tried the advice found here. Released handbrake then switched on. All warning lights showing but after starting engine the offending ones went out. Fantastic. I stopped after a few miles and switch off, didnt pull on brake, switched on and offending lights stayed on. Damn. Stopped again, pulled on brake, released brake then started engine. All lights off. Great. Reminds me of the IBM421 plug panels from the 1960s - back circuits, faulty circuits, poor contacts and lots of spoiled 80 col cards.

Back