Boves Blast 2005 - July 23, 2005

actually it was very uneventful. we did the quechee lunch where we were met by two s2000s and a lotus. we also picked up a viper and i believe a porsche en route who were parked by the side of 89 waiting for us to pass by.

justin from the s2000 club who knows the VT and quechee area we'd be travelling through led us through the mountains and up to ben & jerry's. our tour was scheduled for 2:30, but we had to be there by 2:!5 or they were going to sell the tickets. unfortunately because there was no cell phone coverage, i didn't get a signal until 2:20 to call ahead and let them know we'd be there by 2:30. anyway they accomodated us and got us in for 2:50 (42 of us and there were a few people who opted not to take the tour). the cars looked great all lined up in the receiving area which was arc shaped. i didn't have a camera (wife took it to CT with her) but hopefully some pictures will rear their heads on other boards.

after ben & jerry's, we split up into two groups. 3 NSXs went straight to burlington which was about 30 minutes away and checked out the town before dinner. the rest of us headed for some SERIOUS twisty roads. route 107 was ... well, i wish we had a local track with the config. banked corners, lots of elevation changes, a couple miles of S curves, a couple of 180 degree corners. the lotus elan in front of me almost got into a little trouble but saved himself nicely (it was open top with a roll bar and i was behind him watching his wife looking for the jesus handles on that one :)). four of us were way out in front of everyone through that section. a boxter S lead the way (damn that guy was fast!!!) then Yong Kim in his NSX (love those HREs), the Elan in front of me. I had to start backing off when my brakes started fading. Every now and then I caught a glimpse of the C6 behind me. The driver of the C6 grabbed me later and said after watching us, he's heading for a track to learn his car. It had less than 1000 miles on it and he didn't have the feel of it yet. Regardless the rest of the cars were a ways behind him. I'm not quite sure of the order but we had Jeff Torrey's Esprit and his Viper (guess he couldn't decide which car to bring so he brought both and found a driver for the viper :)). A gorgeous red Elise (man the more I see those cars......... I'm simply in love with them) and the two S2000s at the rear (wife factor :)). All this believe it or not without exceeding the speed limit (the posted limits on this road make absolutely NO SENSE at all. 40 and 50 all the way). one of our main concerns was watching out for bicyclists. Quite a few on these roads.

Anyway after that, we took the back roads into Burlington and arrived probably an hour after the first group. We had 22 for dinner at Bove's and Rick Bove was nice enough to give us each a jar of sauce on the way out.

Four of us headed back down 89 together (3 NSX, 1 C6) but they were moving at a leisurely pace and I just wanted to get home so I went along at my own pace.

No tickets, no accidents, really not too many slow pokes on the road. Thanks Jeff for inviting all the other clubs and Justin for being our guide from Quechee for the rest of the trip and Justin's wife for manning the FRS radios and giving us ETAs. Those radios are handy when you're close together, but once we got moving they were virtually useless, however I was at the back of the pack and at times probably up to a mile away from the lead car. The NSX club radios really didn't make much sense yesterday with so many clubs involved, but I never realized that all FRS radios are compatible and many people showed up with one. If only they had about triple the power :).

Last edited:
RichH said:
More pictures!

The weather forcast looks the same for next weekend. You guys should consider attending the Portland, ME Event.

thanks for all the pic urls. no good for me next weekend, im moving and friggin gas is too expensive to do too many of these. i think this weekend was a good $70 in gas. ouch.

Back