Bolster Wear

Anyone have any tricks/suggestions on how to minimize bolster wear on the driver's seat? I am starting to notice some subtle evidence of bolster wear. Ideas? What about products such as "leather in a bottle"? I have been thinking about trying something but not sure what to use and do not want to screw up my seat.

I use a Microfiber towel to drape over the bolster while getting in, I have minimal wear and wish to keep it that way. Zaino "leather in a bottle" works extremely well for reviving dry/hard leather, it's non greasy and works well on vinyl as well as leather. The UV protection is an added bonus.

I have no wear on mine and I drive it daily, my trick is make sure you fall into the bucket of the seat then swing your legs in without touching the carpet with your shoes LOL

not one visible mark on my bolster. you have to make a mental note everytime you get in or out of the car and passengers are not allowed in my NSX at this time.

I just bit the bullet and spent the thousands to buy a complete set of OEM leather seating surfaces for the driver's seat to have those on the shelf so that I know I can restore the seat back to new any time I want in the future even when all the parts are discontinued. Then I don't worry about the wear anymore. It's the only sure proof way. :tongue:

There is an old thread somewhere on this forum that someone suggested putting a woman's size large spandex tank top as a cover on your seats to protect the bolster. I've tried it and so far there is no additional wear beyond what was there when I purchased the car. I guess it's similar to Vanishing Point's Microfiber towel.

Great Ideas! I am off to Home Depot to purchase materials to build a sling/crane device to lower my fat ass into the seat without touching the bolster. I figure that has to be the most "American" way to approach the problem. Of course I will need to stop by the McDonald's drive through on the way. The King is an absolute genius.

I just bit the bullet and spent the thousands to buy a complete set of OEM leather seating surfaces for the driver's seat to have those on the shelf so that I know I can restore the seat back to new any time I want in the future even when all the parts are discontinued. Then I don't worry about the wear anymore. It's the only sure proof way. :tongue:

I also just took delivery of the last silver drivers side seat covering in the US, or at least that's what I was told. Black seems available but if you have an odd color you may want to get on it.

I also have a local franchise for this business. I have heard many good things about them from the local detailing shop, I plan to see what they are capable of.
http://www.fibrenew.com/

$1216 from Tim at peoria. $1600 from the local dealer. A lot of $$ for what you get. It's the sides only, not the bottom.

See part # 24 in link below:
http://www.oemacuraparts.com/auto-p...d-manual-engine/interior-bumper-cat/seat-scat

By the way, Fibernew is coming to fix my spots next Tuesday. He is estimating $100 ($50 x 2 spots) and he says he color matches on the spot (he comes to me). He even has metallic flecks to match the unique silver colo. Pix to follow.

I like your way of thinking! :)

Great Ideas! I am off to Home Depot to purchase materials to build a sling/crane device to lower my fat ass into the seat without touching the bolster. I figure that has to be the most "American" way to approach the problem. Of course I will need to stop by the McDonald's drive through on the way. The King is an absolute genius.

I agree. But, the sling must have a built-in cozy for your beer. BTW, I just ordered the new seat bolsters from Honda in Orange. We'll see if I get an email saying it's on back order which is code for discontinued. It was the same $1216 plus shipping.

Last edited:
The sling/crane will absolutely have a cozy for beer. I am now trying to figure out how to incorporate a toilet seat into the picture. Whenever possible in life, I like to multitask.

The sling/crane will absolutely have a cozy for beer. I am now trying to figure out how to incorporate a toilet seat into the picture. Whenever possible in life, I like to multitask.

LOL I agree or at minimal a urinal tube to a bucket and some of that blue stuff they use in boat toilets/ Port-a-let

I kinda found a way to stop bolster wear. I stopped eating for two weeks. But that didn't work out to well.:biggrin:

Well, I had my bolsters repaired today. My thoughts: it is not a diy job. And, it's well worth the money. The quality of the work is so hard to capture with the flash but hopefully you can get a sense for it:

16995044895_1cd6606693_c.jpg

The upper bolster wasn't really worn as such, but the creases were more pronounced than I wanted them, and the far right edge was starting to show some wear. A fine line between patina and worn...
16374955483_3ef1bdfb4a_b.jpg

Right side bolster
16995044535_49aa39db4f_b.jpg

Geeez, I never even noticed this before as I have the angle forward, this was the worst spot, but hidden by the crease in my driving seat position. No problem...
16372666874_50e9108b9e_b.jpg

Bill the Technician/Owner arrived right on time, straight to work. A very critical part of his set up is lighting - replicating natural sunlight. The only way to nail the color match
16372667474_756080a21b_c.jpg

Not surprisingly, prep is everything. Clean, solvent wipe, adhesion promoters and one other step I forget. Starting to see the expertise required already...
16969091796_8fd5736786_c.jpg

A bit painful to watch him sanding, but it's a necessary step.
16787670897_bdd34104de_c.jpg

Applying the leather mender. Magical stuff...heat cured.
16993938082_b37a7f479b_c.jpg

The biggest part of the expertise and the step requiring the most time (and it takes the most training to learn) is the color match. The NSX silver is an especially hard color match due to the "flakes". No problem, he had several flakes to choose from.
16969098716_31809f356d_c.jpg

For the NSX silver seats, the perfect starting point is Fibrenew's off the shelf Silver Metallic. But it's only a start.
This starting formula was tweaked and adjusted at least 6 times. Black in comparison, is a walk in the park.

16969336866_8630840011_c.jpg

So the opposite of red is ...? And the opposite of yellow is...? The color wheel is the guide. And now its trial and error to dial it in.
16807314338_a7686dfcb9_c.jpg

Spray application of the dye. Trial and error, patience, patience, patience, don't settle for "close enough". Base coats, clear coats, shiny, semi shiny, black flakes, light flakes, blends of all of the variables, trial and error, repeat, repeat again. A very very tough color. But if you've ever seen the NSX silver metallic leather in person, you'll know what I mean. It's definitely unique.
16807313858_70cb02c684_c.jpg

Finally Bill was happy with it. What flaws?
16372665584_43a7a0c9bc_c.jpg

Just a hint of "patina" in the upper bolster, by design. Nice job, absolutely incredible value, almost like magic. Thanks, Bill
https://www.fibrenew.com/cherry-hill/

16993658122_333fab91d6_c.jpg

Last edited:
Back