Bogus eBay Listing?

Sometimes NSXs listed for sale/auction on eBay have some minor details wrong, like features and such. But sometimes the big items are wrong. And when they are, there's a strong possibility of fraud.

Take, for example, this eBay auction for a Canadian-market NSX. It claims to have only 4500 miles on a '91. That part is certainly possible. Unfortunately, the VIN on the listing is for a 2001 NSX. :eek: Bidder/buyer beware.

nsxtasy said:
It's possible. I'll send him an e-mail and see what he says.
I had an e-mail exchange with him. Apparently when he bought the car, the dealer wrote the wrong VIN on one of the documents. He has updated the description of the auction to note the correct VIN (the one that is on the car). Mystery solved, not bogus.

nsxtacey said:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=5337&item=2482775768&rd=1

Maybe you should direct this dealer to the faq's pricing guildlines. 34k buy it now for a 102k 92 is out of hand no matter how well maintained it may be. I guess they can be delusional since it is ebay.
Nope. A buy-it-now price is often out of line. The idea behind buy-it-now is to offer a price to a prospective buyer who might be interested in a pre-emptive offer, to ensure that he wins the auction. Such prices are generally higher than the seller is willing to sell the car for (which should be the auction's reserve price, which is hidden, and not the buy-it-now price).

It's also worth noting that this particular seller, a dealer in Washington State, sells quite a few used NSXs. I'm quite sure they are familiar with the NSX market, and are hardly "delusional".

Back