Billy Johnson - Autohype interview

Re: A Billy Johnson history

Billy is quite the driver these days. When I first met him I had no idea he raced THIS much. I love how Billy throws the M3 out there as one of his favorites.

I think Billy's suggestion is for big foot like you. If I wore a racing shoes, it'll fit right between brake pedal and gas.

Question though, unless doing an absolute quick decceleration, how could you do a smooth downshift without twisting the foot?
That technique should be fine for the NSX even with a size 9 shoe. Try it.

The whole blip is done in the knee, not by twisting the ankle. You can decelerate/brake hard or softly by your pedal pressure which stays constant regardless of your knee/blipping actions.

Did you run in the 24 as well as the koni race?

Billy is quite the driver these days. When I first met him I had no idea he raced THIS much. I love how Billy throws the M3 out there as one of his favorites.
This M3, the infamous "M3 GTR":

PTGM3Fontana.jpg

Congrats on all your success and I am glad you have a good attitude for someone at your age. I wish you continued success and maybe one day I can get some track time myself and learn from guys like you.

So Billy might come out to a track event in Pahrump next in February. We shall see....

The Grand Am Koni Challenge Fresh from Florida 200 airs on SPEED tomorrow (Saturday 1/31/09) at 4pm EST.

Set your DVR and cheer on the #18 Porsche 997!

wdmp_090122_1473.jpg

Here's my press release for the race (WARNING: Spoiler)

Daytona: Billy Johnson Race Notes
Racing series GRANDAM-SCC

Date 2009-01-28

MOTORSPORT TECHNOLOGY GROUP FINISHES 4TH AT DAYTONA

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla., Jan. 28 - The No.18 Motorsport Technology Group Porsche 997 of Tony Buffomante of Naperville, Il. and Billy Johnson of San Clemente Ca. finished fourth in the Fresh from Florida 200 season opener Friday at Daytona International Speedway. The strong top-5 is Motorsport Technology Group’s best finish at Daytona, positioning them for a strong run at the 2009 Koni Challenge Series Championship.

The 4th place finish marks the highest finishing Porsche in the Mustang-dominated GS class, as well as the highest finishing driver from the inaugural Ford Racing Mustang Challenge Series with Tony Buffomante. With only seven laps under his belt in a Porsche and at Daytona International Speedway, Buffomante qualified the No. 18 Morris Animal Foundation in the 21st position. Like a seasoned veteran, Buffomante fought through the GS field into the top 10 before turning the controls over to Johnson.

"Tony did a great job especially with so little seat time" Johnson said. "Every session Tony was dropping seconds and was great to work with. He moved through the field, took care of the car, and turned it over in a great position. I couldn’t have asked for more."

When the race resumed after the third caution, Johnson found himself in the 42nd position right behind Bill Auberlen. Consistently turning some of the fastest times of the race, Johnson in the No. 18 Porsche matched Auberlen pass for pass and eight laps later both found themselves in the top 10.

“I had a great time moving through what seemed like the entire field with Bill. I could hang with him through most of the traffic and infield but that car was a rocket-ship on the straights.”

Johnson worked his way up to 6th before the next caution came out on lap 44. Many of the leaders including Johnson pitted for their last fuel stop. Unfortunately some complications in the pits caused the No. 18 to drop down to 14th. With just an hour to go, Johnson worked his way back up to 4th closing in on Auberlen and the following two Mustangs before the last and final yellow fell ending the race.

“The guys at Motorsport Technology Group did a fantastic job this weekend. The car handled the best it ever has and hooked up better than most cars coming out of corners. This is a great start for the 2009 season and I look forward to keeping this momentum to see the podium in the near future” said Johnson.

-credit: Johnson

Last edited:
Back