• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Big Brother on the road: Automatic License Plate Recognition

NY has these. In fact local town cops have them and have had them for years in NY. Keep your papers in check and you will not have any issues. I put my front plate in the Grill of my car so the reader still beeps when they drive by haven’t been pulled over for it since.

I think they're doing this in AZ. Or they're planning to. You can't have a license plate frame that covers the state because it has to be visible to these scanners.

I don't have a problem with this as long as they are not storing/archiving every license plate as they capture them and only flagging the one's on their database list.

If the above is true, it is nothing more than if you had a super cop that had memorized every "wanted" plate on a list.

Otherwise this could ruin my alibi of where I was and when, and I would never be able to get married. :redface:

Last edited:
Sadly , like a lot of good ideas it can be abused. They have had a couple of them here and their main purpose is revenue collections.

Watch this video - surprise clip ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svD2Jua34dY

If this was used only to catch dangerous criminals , I would not mind it too much. Going after unpaid parking tickets or taxes with seizure of the vehicle as hostage during a bad economy is just wrong.

Well, if it is currently being used in the Peoples Republic of Canada? Then we better check our proposed house health care plan word for word because Pelosi may have even found a way to sneak that in there.
Scary stuff for sure! :eek::eek:

This product is built and invented in the US. As well it is used in the US.

Please explain your statement "the Peoples Republic of Canada"!

These comments are not welcome on NSX PRIME. I am sure you would take offence to Canadians labeling the US in the same manner.

Scare you??????? this should put you at ease.... unless of course you have something to hide:eek:

My basic problem with technology such as this is that it is tantamount to a search without probable cause, and therefore a violation of the 4th amendment.

Yes, if it catches violent criminals and car thieves, that's nice -- but is it worth the cost? And how can it be prevented from being abused? A poster above mentioned parking tickets, and that's a fairly obvious extension. Random scanning could begin to weed out all sorts of undesirable social activities; whatever the State wants.

As long as you toe the State line, you have nothing to fear. That doesn't sound a bit totalitarian to anyone? "Step out of line, the Man comes and takes you away."

We currently have one in our fleet. I really like the idea. If your uninsured or driving with a suspended lic for a DWI or driving a stolen vehicle ect. you have zero business in a car. It only flags plates that are in the database.

We currently have one in our fleet. I really like the idea. If your uninsured or driving with a suspended lic for a DWI or driving a stolen vehicle ect. you have zero business in a car. It only flags plates that are in the database.
i've read articles about these tools and have to admit i like the idea of identifying these types of violators (and unpaid registration / parking tickets, etc) too, but i'm curious: are the plates in "the database" limited to current violators or are there previous / non-violators included? (i accept there may be some lag time in synching data).

My city has these; I'm glad. They've caught a few out of towners who had things to hide. They were stopped and often found drugs, guns, warrants.

My basic problem with technology such as this is that it is tantamount to a search without probable cause, and therefore a violation of the 4th amendment.

Yes, if it catches violent criminals and car thieves, that's nice -- but is it worth the cost? And how can it be prevented from being abused? A poster above mentioned parking tickets, and that's a fairly obvious extension. Random scanning could begin to weed out all sorts of undesirable social activities; whatever the State wants.

As long as you toe the State line, you have nothing to fear. That doesn't sound a bit totalitarian to anyone? "Step out of line, the Man comes and takes you away."

Yet again, agree, agree, agree. And I swear I'm not stalking you! :tongue:

I know at this point, why not require a transmitter (tied to your credit card) on all cars (if you want to get registered), which will sense if your speedometer ever exceeds 5 mph over the speed limit. At which point it would automatically text your mobile phone a ticket and bill your credit card for the ticket amount. I mean you are clearly speeding, right? And you know it because the reading is taken right off of your speedometer. So why not? Speeding is against the law and it will keep people from speeding. :rolleyes:

I know at this point, why not require a transmitter (tied to your credit card) on all cars (if you want to get registered), which will sense if your speedometer ever exceeds 5 mph over the speed limit. At which point it would automatically text your mobile phone a ticket and bill your credit card for the ticket amount. I mean you are clearly speeding, right? And you know it because the reading is taken right off of your speedometer. So why not? Speeding is against the law and it will keep people from speeding. :rolleyes:

At this point it would be naive to think that something like that isn't coming.

Yet again, agree, agree, agree. And I swear I'm not stalking you! :tongue:

I know at this point, why not require a transmitter (tied to your credit card) on all cars (if you want to get registered), which will sense if your speedometer ever exceeds 5 mph over the speed limit.

In the video they show a bunch of these plate scanners mounted on a highway overpass. All you need is to link the plate scanner with a radar gun, and voila -- every car speeding down the interstate gets a ticket. Is that a good idea?

At this point it would be naive to think that something like that isn't coming.

Not if people get off their lazy sheep-like asses and actually do something about it.

In the video they show a bunch of these plate scanners mounted on a highway overpass. All you need is to link the plate scanner with a radar gun, and voila -- every car speeding down the interstate gets a ticket. Is that a good idea?

For the Highway patrol it is!

Just do what this genius did. He had a vanity plate made up of "oh's", "dee's" and zeros. It basically looked like:

O0D0DO0

From a distance all it looks like 000000. There is no way a scanner would be able to pick up that plate.

This product is built and invented in the US. As well it is used in the US.

Please explain your statement "the Peoples Republic of Canada"!

These comments are not welcome on NSX PRIME. I am sure you would take offence to Canadians labeling the US in the same manner.

Sorry, I was way out of line with that post and I am glad you brought it to my attention and the others here. I would hope you and other Canadians would excuse me for my classless comments. I love your country, have been there numerous times and will be back. I have been way too emotional of late (which is no excuse) with what is happening down here with the proposed health care reform. I got carried away and off the thread topic, that being big brother, vehicle tags, etc. ... doesn’t have anything to do with healthcare. I see them trying to take away a lot of our freedoms, the right to choose our own HC being one of them, and I should not have picked on Canada just because I happen to disagree with your healthcare system. It was wrong. Please accept my apology. I should have stayed on topic about vehicle tags and not wandered off on politics or religion. The right thing to do would have been for me to call my congressman and complain to him instead of making a stupid comment like that on this fine forum.

I totally think this is awesome. its not intrusive because plates are there for that reason. It will help find tons of stolen cars quick...however if they comeup with somekinda xray cam that scans the inside of your car that could be a problem...hmm did they put RFID in drivers licenses yet and didn't tell us.

Dang. And Australia was my first choice of place to seek refuge.:mad::biggrin:

Countries like mine are testing grounds for crap like this , because the general population don't really give a shit !!

Have we all got our RFIDS in your passports and bankcards yet ???? Huh

NEW WORLD ORDER PEOPLES !!!! Learn to live off the land , as we may have too one day .

I own 10 HA of remote wasteland out west for a reason !! But you don't really own anything , think about it . There is no conspiracy here , the fact is though , the powers want to know everything about everyone out of fear and absolute corrupt power .

Back