Bid Goes On - 1998 Kaiser Silver @ Mecum

here the bad.....

Timing belt and water pump replaced at 40,000 miles what year? LOL 17 years ago LOL

and I think I have seen this car before I would check to see if the carfax says it has lived in tampa before if so then it has some issues

but run carfax first I see a lot of NSX in my shop but this one looks like one I know about.

The black supercharged 93 went for 35K. There is a red 91 going today.

The Red 91 is the one to watch:

an1115-226793_1.jpg

https://www.mecum.com/lot-detail/AN1115-226793/0/1991-Acura-NSX/5-Speed/

My guess is it will either sell for $60k or the buyer will hold out for a higher offer than that.

Why is the black 93 not allowed to be registered in California?

the car auction market is like the stock market but the time frame is over years where in the stock market trends and streaks can happen in weeks.....5 years ago 80-90's v12 mid engine Ferraris were 75-90 k cars all day.....now add 50 k on those ranges..I think the nsx bull market is just beginning.

$60k, seriously? I sold my 91 with 37k miles earlier this year for $47k, and even with coverage from this type of auction it would be hard to believe it can fetch another 13k on top of that!

Yep. I was assuming this was close to a "condition 1" car, but maybe there were some problems.
https://www.hagerty.com/valuationtools/HVT/VehicleSearch/Report?vbe=115706

The 1991 red/black cars with low mileage will be in my opinion the cream puffs for the collector market in the very near future and will start being passed around the auction circuit. I guess the market isn't quite ready to bite yet though.

The black supercharged and highly modified 1993 NSX with no mileage listed sold for 35K
The fairly stock 91 in red with 36000 miles was a no sale with a high bid of $45K

I think the clear message regarding valuation is: originality and low mileage trump even "tasteful" modifications. To me, this is a sign of maturing collectiblity, since it is what one sees in most collectible cars, setting aside domestic resto-mod muscle cars.

I wonder what a resto modded nsx would look like at auction in 30 years ........:biggrin:

...My guess is it will either sell for $60k or the buyer will hold out for a higher offer than that.

$60k, seriously? I sold my 91 with 37k miles earlier this year for $47k, and even with coverage from this type of auction it would be hard to believe it can fetch another 13k on top of that!

And it looks like the seller agreed with blue_myridden but the room agreed with skafia.

- - - Updated - - -

I wonder what a resto modded nsx would look like at auction in 30 years ........:biggrin:

Car will be converted to "alternative energy" with the latest offering from Science of Speed:

attachment.php

Last edited:
Because it couldn't pass emissions there.

Which begs the question of why he's selling it in California instead of waiting for an auction in Az or Nv or any other state with less restrictive smog standards. The number of interested buyers would be much larger.

The fairly stock 91 in red with 36000 miles was a no sale with a high bid of $45K

:eek:

To me that price seemed about right in today's market if in Hagerty "2" or "2 plus" condition and sold by a private seller with no auction commission, give or take a few $1000 for maintenance status, service records, completeness (keys/spare tire/tools, etc.), condition....

I continually wonder if some current lofty valuations are based more on a car being a 1st year 1991 example vs. overall condition and miles. I.e., how would buyer offers compare for a red 25k mile 1994 vs. a red 25k mile 1991, each in same cosmetic & mechanical condition.

Last edited:
:eek:

To me that price seemed about right in today's market if in Hagerty "2" or "2 plus" condition and sold by a private seller with no auction commission, give or take a few $1000 for maintenance status, service records, completeness (keys/spare tire/tools, etc.), condition....

Agreed.

I continually wonder if some current lofty valuations are based more on a car being a 1st year 1991 example vs. overall condition and miles. I.e., how would buyer offers compare for a red 25k mile 1994 vs. a red 25k mile 1991, each in same cosmetic & mechanical condition.

That would be an interesting thing to find out. But I'm not sure NSX sales represent a large enough market to tease an answer from the scanty data.

Agreed.

That would be an interesting thing to find out. But I'm not sure NSX sales represent a large enough market to tease an answer from the scanty data.

It is an interesting question. A first year car might matter more to a collector, but there are a lot fewer 94's than 91's. You rarely if ever see clean 94's with low miles for sale. The red one that just sold on BAT might be the first one I've seen after 5 years of membership here.

Last edited:
Back