BEWARE, '94 NSX on Ebay JH4NA1158RT000194

nkb

Experienced Member
BEWARE, '94 NSX on Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2436227152

VIN: JH4NA1158RT000194
'94 Green/Tan, 12.5K miles

I emailed the seller, asking about accident history, to which he replied that he didn't think it had one. However, in the carfax report, it is shown as being sold at a salvage auction in 98, and being titled as salvage in Connecticut in 99. Magically, in 2003, it shows a clear title in Virginia.

I would be willing to give the seller the benefit of the doubt about not knowing about the history, and having been duped himself. However, his description says he's owned it for 5 years, in which time he claims it was untitled, and sat in his garage, and he started and maintained it.
Unfortunately for him, the 99 salvage title falls within his 5-year ownership period.

If I had a newspaper, I'd roll it up, smack him on the nose, and say "Bad boy!"

I just sent him an email, asking him to update his description to show the salvage history. If he doesn't, I guess I'll forward a complaint to ebay, hopefully they will shut the auction down.

Followup to this post:

Can I get into any trouble (either through ebay or legally) if I email the high bidder, letting him know about the salvage title?

I wouldn't think so, since I am only stating facts, but I just wanted to see if someone had any insight.

How rude! Good catch btw. I hope people take the time to run something as simple as a carfax. Maybe you can email the bidders and make them aware of the title situation. If I was a bidder, I'd sure want to know....
Z

I think you would only get into trouble if you contacted any of the bidders to try to sell them something.

Since you have a copy of the Carfax report, I don't think that you could get into any trouble by giving the bidders that information.

Recently, there was an NSX with a salvage title and no mention of it in the eBay seller's description. Since it was an open auction, I emailed each and every bidder of that auction to NSXPrime to read about the car they were bidding. I got several thank yous from the bidders on the auction. I thought it was the right thing to do and advise the bidders the truth about the car not disclosed in the seller's auction.

Make sure you do not threaten him in your email or ebay can suspend your account.Even though you would think Ebay would appreciate people trying to make sure the items sold on thier site are not misrepresented, I think they are more interested in the bottom line. I had a similar situation a couple years ago, and when I "threatened" (ebays words, not mine) to email all the bidders and tell them the true story on the auction he forwarded the email to Ebay and they suspended my account for 2 weeks. They did not care if the seller was ripping off people based on the response I got from them.

Well, ask him nicely to chance the auction to say it has had salvage history, and if he doesnt, tell Ebay he threatened you! :D

NSX FoYoAss said:
Well, ask him nicely to chance the auction to say it has had salvage history, and if he doesnt, tell Ebay he threatened you! :D

I already did that. Here is my message to him:
Would you please edit your auction to reflect these issues? This is clearly not a "clear" titled car.

After he asked me for a copy of the carfax, and I sent it to him, he responded with:
Strange I brought it on 9/30/98 and never used it cant see how it was wrecked and sold on 1/21/99 can you call CAR FAXER and find out..also since you have so much time on your hands would you be kind enough to notify all the bidders and notify ebay of this as well this way they will stop the auction and it wont cost me a dime..Thanks!

This was my response to the above email:
Well, I would think it would be in your best interest to contact Carfax yourself, since it's your car, not mine.
If it was mine, and I knew nothing about this issue until now, I would be hopping mad (either for getting duped when buying it, or for Carfax having incorrect info). Your reaction is, to say the least, a little puzzling.

Also, if you bought it on 9/30/98, then it looks like you're the one who should know where you bought it. Did you buy it in Rock Tavern, NY? Was it at a salvage auto auction? Did they give you a clean title, or a salvage one?

Also, it doesn't say that the car was sold on 1/21/99, it only says that a new owner was reported, and that a salvage title (this time from CT) was issued.

As far as contacting ebay and the bidders, if you are innocent and knew nothing about this, don't you think YOU should be letting everyone know?

I sent an email to ebay about this, but I have a feeling they are going to blow me off, since I didn't actually buy the misrepresented item.

Whoa!!!!! I just looked at the auction and the seller has listed YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS NKB!!!!! :eek: :mad:

"On Oct-09-03 at 02:19:30 PDT, seller added the following information:
Update 10/8/03 NSX internet cop [email protected] has informed me of important Salvage information that may effect you interest and purchase of the above car. [email protected] has furnished a carfaxer report that shows prior salvage history dating to 1998 please contact [email protected] for more detailed information.Thank you."

I hope you don't get flooded with emails now, but if you do, make sure to tell everyone to stay clear of this auction and the seller story seems off!! :rolleyes:

The car is for sale through a dealer in S. Florida called Ecocar. They sell rebuilt and salvaged titled cars. The person auctioning the car already knows the history because it's listed on www.ecocar.com as a such.

yea i was going to add when i was looking for mine about two months ago this car, or a car looking just like it with the same miles was for sale at ecocar.........and it stated the title was salvaged and you could see the damage on the front bumper i guess they had it repainted...

NSX FoYoAss said:
Whoa!!!!! I just looked at the auction and the seller has listed YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS NKB!!!!! :eek: :mad: "

You should also be aware that he is responding to questions, as he did mine, with your e-mail address. He refers to you as 'an internet NSX cop who knows more about the history of the car than I do.' This was in response to my question of why the car hadn't been used for five years and if it had any issues from sitting for such a long time.
Let me know if you'd like me to forward the message to you or directly to e-bay. He should be banned as a seller. Good luck!

Nate

My original complaint to ebay about a misrepresented car was answered after he added the line about contacting me, saying they (ebay) are satisfied.

I sent a follow-up email to ebay, saying that the seller needs to remove my email, since I never gave my permission to use it. Still waiting on an answer :mad:

However, it seems like his attempt to get even with me failed, since I haven't received any emails about this.

Here is his reponse to my last email:
Me:
Ok, so if everything you say is true (you did not buy the car at a salvage auction, you received a clean title when you bought it, you did not try to register it in 99 in Connecticut, you had no prior knowledge of the salvage history), how come you're getting upset with me?

Shouldn't you be taking this up with Carfax (to fix incorrect data), or the guy you bought it from (for not disclosing a salvage title)? Someone seems to be at fault here, and it's definitely not me. I was just an interested buyer, until I read the Carfax report.

I really don't understand your reaction.

Him:
What do you want from me..if your interested in the car than call me if not then go scrutinize someone else's car.

What an honest guy. Shut up about my car, so I can shaft someone else, who won't check carfax.

No action from ebay on removing my email, but at least I got a form email that they are looking into it. We'll see.

As far as the owner goes, he is really bad at telling lies, because he catches himself in contradictions all the time.

He claimed he knew nothing about the salvage history until I told him, yet in the same email he states that all he was looking to get for the car was $23K, and that he was not hiding the fact that ecocar was selling the car for him.
When I pointed out the inconsistency (why would he let a '94 go for $23K, and why would he use a dealer that specializes in salvage cars, if he thought it was a clear title), I got this short response:
Go carfax some more cars and leave me alone

I love it when people aren't smart enough to lie convincingly.

Good. I agree with you, I'm hoping the fact that the link is unavailable is an indication that they shut down his auction. If he had just ended it, it should still show up.

well all I can say is hip hooray for the Internet cop! :lol: :D Way to go!

Since this is a (mostly) free market capitalist society, helping others become a more informed consumer is one of the most moral and socially responsible things a person can do. If Ralph Nadar had ran for president under either the Republican party or the Democratic party I would have voted for him in a second.

LOOK OUT FOR ANOTHER ONE !!!

As a new member, I feel I can add some light on this car.
I came across this car over six months ago.while searching for a NSX. The people at Ecocar said to me, "the car IS salvage and has been fully( what ever that really means)repaired"and gave me a good discription of damage etc.
Looks like another case of someone trying to pass off a bad NSX. It's a real shame that Ebay dosn't have a way to screen ALL cars that are put up for auction. DAVE

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2437629843&category=5337

He has relisted the car with no reserve starting a 10,000. He admits the prior salvage history now (still says clear title in description box) , but get this quote from the auction:

This will be a private auction as this is the 2nd time I am listing the car.The first time an idiot disrupted the auction by emailing all the bidders with false information in an attempt to steal the car at 1/2 price.If you need more information on the car call 718-774-7846.

NKB you are an idiot apparently. Why did you try to steal his creampuff at half price?:D :D :D

It seems to me that Ecocar is selling it. What is a transmision? And is it like a transmission? The ad is lacking and the photos might as well have been shot from the Moon.

Well, this guy lives in his own little reality.
As before, a lot of his statements are based on lies:

1. I never emailed any of the bidders (except for the one that he directed to me).
2. It wasn't false information (if it was false, how come he is listing that "false" information?).
3. How could I attempt to steal the car at 1/2 price, if I never bid on it?

Also, I find it amusing that this car all of a sudden turned into an automatic (was a 5-speed before).

And he's calling me an idiot.

Back