Best way to free-up HP in an automatic

Lets just say Im happy with it the way it is, but if an exhaust or something else could free-up a few HP with out putting a strain on the transmission I would do it. However if anyone has tried this and wished they had left it alone Id like to hear. Oh and yea, leave out the "buy a manual" comments, Ive heard them before and Id be kinda impossible. Thanks in advance.

Well Honda hasn't been know for making strong automatic transmissions. Unless you build your tranny you are stuck with basic I/H/E. You aren't going to see much though because your automatic transmissions has more drive train loss than a manual. If you go FI you will wear out your auto pretty quick. And replacements aren't cheap.

By FI you mean forced induction? All I really had in mind for the car was possibly an exhaust, thats it besides lowering it. Do you or anyone else think just an exhaust would cause a problem?

I have a manual but I think you would be fine with an exhaust and auto :)

I'm actually on the exhaust search myself. What exhaust are you going to get?

Sarge,
I/H/E wouldn't be a problem. Even as far as re chipping the ECU. Try to do a search but if my memory serve me right a prime member wrote to GruppeM concerning installing SC in an auto, and if there is any requirement of upgrading the transmission- don't remember fully what was the answer. But GruppeM does offer SC for auto.
I believe nsxkl installed SC in his auto and anticipated by installing JMO transmission upgrade

An exhaust is worthless without headers IMO. I felt nothing with an exhaust. It was'nt until I installed headers that I felt a difference. Of course you could install late model manifolds and still get decent results.

I got I/H (incoming)/E on my AT. No probs here. Im not a big track and speed nut at all, but I enjoy a few spirited drives in the canyons now and then. :smile: I was going to get an SC but by the time I was ready, Comptech went poof. Yes I know they are back, but I am letting them shake out what ever bugs there might be before I consider again. As mentioned here by IsR; Gruppe M also has an SC kit for the AT, at least they used to. Been a couple years since I looked into any kind of FI so they might not be available anymore.

I remember talking to the Comptech guys back around 2000 or 2001 before they shut down, and they told me they had a couple AT's with SC's on them and they havent seen any problems after a year or two so far (at the time). Maybe they are prime members and can comment on their experiences? As I only heard it from the Comptech folks not the owners.

Seems like you have contradictory hopes.

More power = more strain.

Intake (K&N panel filter or open air element), Cat-back exhaust, test pipes, stand alone ECU w/good tuning, etc...

Also it might not hurt to tank up at stations away from populated areas, where they sell straight gas and not a gas/ethanol mix.
Incremental gain, if any...I know ... still....

I have DC SPorts EX in my Automatic. No issues....Has been on it for 20k miles..

PM for more info....on other GOODIES. I dont feel like debating why and what I did on threads....It seem to always turn into the "AUTO is DETUNED be HAPPY" YOu can do somethings that will improve the throttle and performance

I am very unbiased...I have Auto and 5speed SC

Sarge...Had a '97T auto - did Comptech headers, Exhaust and intake w/no problems.

I put a set of taitec headers and exhaust on my 95 and a cantrell air intake. no other mods really nice sound not too noisy. At Gulfport dragway on street tires I can consistantly run 13.5 at about 107-108mph. not bad for a car evweryone says is under powered. Haave to admit on the earlier models with a manifold type exhaust you really need headers. you wouldn't beleivew the difference the headers made.

I put a set of taitec headers and exhaust on my 95 and a cantrell air intake. no other mods really nice sound not too noisy. At Gulfport dragway on street tires I can consistantly run 13.5 at about 107-108mph. not bad for a car evweryone says is under powered. Haave to admit on the earlier models with a manifold type exhaust you really need headers. you wouldn't beleivew the difference the headers made.

Actually all autos from '91 -'05 (all have 3.0 motors) have the very restricted cast iron exhaust manifolds. Headers do help a lot vs the newer 3.2 tubular versions which are very good right from the factory.

If you are looking for upper end power, you really need to consider the potential of damaging the tranny unless you beef it up.

However, a good set of header and exhaust will give you better midrange power, which may make your driving more pleasurable.

The key question is: Do you drive your car hard?

Nice runs :)

If you are looking for upper end power, you really need to consider the potential of damaging the tranny unless you beef it up.

However, a good set of header and exhaust will give you better midrange power, which may make your driving more pleasurable.

The key question is: Do you drive your car hard?

I rarley get on it, I kinda baby it, but there are those times when I know I could get away with going quick for a few minutes. Dont get me wrong it is a fine car stock, but if a little HP can be gained for doing a little something to the car, then im interested...I just dont want to go too crazy or over do it.

I rarley get on it, I kinda baby it, but there are those times when I know I could get away with going quick for a few minutes. Dont get me wrong it is a fine car stock, but if a little HP can be gained for doing a little something to the car, then im interested...I just dont want to go too crazy or over do it.

Hi Sarge,

I first recommend getting a good exhaust and header for your car. Second I can tell you shedding a few lbs here and there on your car will make a difference. Also when you upgrade your exhaust system that should help you drop around 15 to 20 lbs. After doing all that I recommend going for our new Stage 3 ROM. We offer it for both Auto and Manual Transmission NSX's. Heres the link http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96360

By FI you mean forced induction? All I really had in mind for the car was possibly an exhaust, thats it besides lowering it. Do you or anyone else think just an exhaust would cause a problem?

I've got the quad tip Ark on my 98 Auto and it did feel like I picked up some mid-range torque. For me, nice sound, looks great.
Just as a side note, my transmissions shifts MUCH harder when using the shift lever on the console versus the lever on the column. Chirping 2nd gear. Anyone else have this difference?

Lets just say Im happy with it the way it is, but if an exhaust or something else could free-up a few HP with out putting a strain on the transmission I would do it.

Science of Speed headers.
Taitec GT Lightweight exhaust (only weighs 16 lbs.)
Modify the stock air intake by using a hacksaw and removing the bottom curly part. You can also use one of those widemouth intake thingies but if you drive your car in the rain for any length of time, those might not be a good idea.

You might also want to look into changing the R&P to the 4.23 ratio. I assume this can be done on an auto but ask someone like Chris at SoS to be sure.

http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/NSX/

Lets just say Im happy with it the way it is, but if an exhaust or something else could free-up a few HP with out putting a strain on the transmission I would do it. However if anyone has tried this and wished they had left it alone Id like to hear. Oh and yea, leave out the "buy a manual" comments, Ive heard them before and Id be kinda impossible. Thanks in advance.

Headers & exhaust will free up hp but don't expect as much gain as you'd see in a 5-speed. Keep in mind the engine is internally limited by the auto cams and the tuning. Changing those out will allow the H/E to free up even more hp.

Exactly how much power the auto tranny can handle is debatable. I've always been one to adhere to the stock limits--IOW Honda gave the auto 252 hp for a reason. But I discovered that there are quite a few owners who are running all the way up to low-CTSC boost numbers without issues--some over 10K miles. Long-term results are obviously unknown and of course I would not recommend it. People who have a great deal of experience in the area (Basch) also don't recommend it.

I would put forth that any additional power simply shortens the auto tranny's life by some degree, probably exponentially. 30hp extra might reduce the tranny's life by 10%. If it was going to last 150K it will now last ~135K. Not a big deal I suppose, but worth considering. But 60 hp extra might reduce the tranny's life by 50%, 90 hp 80% and so on. Obviously at that point the tranny simply can't physically handle that kind of power.

Pick up a set of aftermarket headers, find a Tubi & have a blast!
Even if you don't pick all that much HP the sound alone will be
worth every penny. I would not worry for a minute about adding 15-20 hp.
Its not like your going to be putting out 400-500 HP.

Relax and enjoy the music.:biggrin:

Seems like you have contradictory hopes.

More power = more strain.

Intake (K&N panel filter or open air element), Cat-back exhaust, test pipes, stand alone ECU w/good tuning, etc...

I got Intake, Headers, Exhaust, test pipes, Big bore throttle body, and have had it for almost 20K miles now with no problem whatso ever. And I drive the car hard and do it everyday. The auto tranny might not be very strong but that doesn't make it weak. Its definetly strong enough to handle little power you make with I/H/E so no need to worry. And some weight loss additional to that will make you much happier than a stock auto. But defiently do the header and exhaust, You Will Love it.

Back