Best Home Theater System for @$1000?

Anyone here have advice on the best home theater system I can buy for $800-$1200?

I want a complete, all in one system that has a tuner, speakers, amp, and can play CD's and DVD's.

Thanks!

For under $1000 bucks you really are not going to get anything that is decent. I would suggest saving your money until you get something better.

However, if you don't care about the quality there are a bunch of new systems out in that price range. My friend bought the Sony package (has everything for 699) and seems pleased with it, so you might want to look there. Onkyo also has a package out there that is probably a little better than the sony. Almost everyone these days is coming out with a low-end all-in-one package. Sams club has some specials on some Bose speakers you might like also.

The best thing to do is go listen to them all and pick the one you like best.

------------------
NetViper -= 100% Stock EBP 2000 Civic Si =- Still looking to get an NSX, but at least I can live life at 8,000 RPM!

BOSE has a decent setup for those with a budget. However, their decent "packages" don't start till around $1500 or so. You're also going to need to spend some money on wires as I don't think they come with any.
http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?&b=0&e=11000233&m=1229&cat=1231&scat=1254

BOSE gets kudos for the design and size of the speakers and the amount of sound those tiny speakers generate. However, they generate a lot of highs and their mid-range is lacking a bit. They are also pretty good with imaging, so you'll get some good stereo and surround sounds from those speakers.

Under $1000, the quality of sounds vary widely between the JBLs, SONYs, AIWA, Panasonic, Pioneer, etc. What may sound good to one person may sound horrible to another so you probably should go down to the store and listen to them for yourselves. http://www.bestbuy.com/HomeAudioVideo/HomeTheaterSystems/ViewSelection.asp?m=1&cat=1552&scat=242

I'd recommend saving a few more hundred bucks and get a BOSE setup. Check w/ Sams or Costco for some good pricing.

[This message has been edited by johndoh (edited 07 January 2002).]

No matter what you end up buying, or how much you spend, you can make it sound better by setting up your room properly.Not only are components and their placement important, but things such as carpeting, draperies and furniture all add to the sound of a room. The best components in the world won't live up to their potential in a poorly
designed room. And while it certainly is critical to go listen before buying, remember that what you hear from a given component in a sales demonsration may not be what you hear when you get it home. Your ears and budget will be your guide when selecting, but you'll have to tweak your room to get maximum results once you get the stuff home.

Originally posted by NSXLNT:
No matter what you end up buying, or how much you spend, you can make it sound better by setting up your room properly.Not only are components and their placement important, but things such as carpeting, draperies and furniture all add to the sound of a room. The best components in the world won't live up to their potential in a poorly
designed room. And while it certainly is critical to go listen before buying, remember that what you hear from a given component in a sales demonsration may not be what you hear when you get it home. Your ears and budget will be your guide when selecting, but you'll have to tweak your room to get maximum results once you get the stuff home.

Couldnt agree with your more on room setup. The bose store has the perfect rooms set up for their stuff.. and it sounds awesome, but when you get it home.. it doesnt sound near as good as in their acousticlly perfect room.

------------------
NetViper -= 100% Stock EBP 2000 Civic Si =- Still looking to get an NSX, but at least I can live life at 8,000 RPM!

I bought a Velodyne Speaker System 5 speakers along with a 10" JBL Subwoofer and a Yamaha Head unti along with a DVD player for less than 1200...
I got it at Video only here locally.
So I think getting a Hometheater System for less than 1200 is VERY reasonable.

Originally posted by NetViper:
Couldnt agree with your more on room setup. The bose store has the perfect rooms set up for their stuff.. and it sounds awesome, but when you get it home.. it doesnt sound near as good as in their acousticlly perfect room.

I've heard such little things as running speaker wiring the exact same lengths, regardless of need, truly affects an even balance of sound (left and right)

[This message has been edited by Bilulan (edited 07 January 2002).]

Would you ever consider buying used? You can put together a system valued closer to 3K for just over 1K that way. Quality audio components are so overpriced it makes NSX mods look tame in comparison.

Used audio does not sound worse in any way. In fact, properly broken in equipment sounds much better than something new out of the box. Many actually pay a premium for equipment that has been broken in by the factory. It's like buying a used car that runs better than a new one. Just make sure it's been taken care of.

This is the point I have reached. I put together a system for around 10K new a couple years ago. Now I have sold the whole thing to start again on an even bigger and badder setup. To move up from that level I was in, it would cost 20-30K dollars minimum... something I can not afford to do.

This time, I will be buying used, and for that 10K I will put together a system that will have cost me 30K+ new.
Buy local, no shipping, and evaluate the equipment before you buy. If it's only a few years old... it's a goldmine.
Find someone who know they're deal with hi-fi level equipment. The marketplace on sites like www.audioreview.com can help put together a system for 1K that will rival setups of 3K plus. The difference between a low to mid-fi, new bose setup and a mid to hi-fi setup (b&w, proac, krell, etc.) is like the difference between a Civic and an NSX. If you do it right, that 1K budget can kick butt and take names in the used audio narket.

Just another audio nut and his ridiculous ideas.
biggrin.gif

I may have found what I'm looking for:

Sony ES STRDB1070 Surround Receiver (6x100w)
Sony DVD 400 series DVD Player
Boston Acoustics Home Theater System speakers

My neighbor owns HiFi Buys here in Nashville, and all these components retail for @$2000, and he'll sell me the complete system for $1200. Black speaker stands are $100 for the pair, and wiring is @$100. With tax included, $1500 out the door. A little more than I wanted to spend, but this system sounded awfully good. Didn't want to regret not buying a better system 3 months from now.

He previously sold me a Mitsubishi 40" tube TV (that was on sale for $3299) for $2200, so he's pretty good with me on his pricing. I bought a 560 SEC from him about 6 years ago, and he told me that if I ever wanted anything from his store, it would be at his cost + 10%. Guess I'll take him up on it (again) tomorrow.

Ilya,
buying used is not a bad idea... I bought used the left and right big front speakers (Canton LE 109 for 400$ instead of 750$) and the semi-HiEnd CD player, my DVD player do not play CD very well and is also not CD-R compatible (Sony CDP-XB930 for 200$ instead of 500$). Those almost 600$ made me paint the roof silver in order to match the targa look!
smile.gif

Furthermore when you buy good audio components from enthusistas you get practically a like-new product. Exactely as it happens when buying an nsx from one of us!
wink.gif

The rest was bought new (Thomson TV 32" Wide, Thomson codefree DVD Player, Yamaha DTS Amplifier, rear Infinity surround speakers and Yamaha Subwoofer)... I could have spared other 1500$ there but I did not find exactely what I was looking for in the used market...
frown.gif

[This message has been edited by gheba_nsx (edited 08 January 2002).]

Originally posted by Mike O:
I may have found what I'm looking for:

Sony ES STRDB1070 Surround Receiver (6x100w)
Sony DVD 400 series DVD Player
Boston Acoustics Home Theater System speakers

That receiver sounds pretty good. The Sony ES line is a good quality peice... I would avoid anything sony in receivers unless it is ES.

DVD players are gernally all the same. Mainly features make them different. You will be fine with that one.

While I havent personally heard the Boston speakers, I think they make a decent speaker.

I would check on www.audioreview.com (as ilya mentioned) and read up on the speakers to see what others think.

You can have the best receiver in the world, but if your speakers suck, your sound will suck. Simple as that.

Overall, the price sounds great and I think you will be happy with that.

One question: How many people here have gone with a HDTV widescreen? I was looking at them and man are they sweet! I think the prices will fall like a rock over the next year. At that point I will pick up the Sony 65" HDTV!

------------------

Am also considering the Energy Take 5.2 speaker system with the 8" sub. Very good reviews from all the net sites I've been able to find that review stereo equipment.

Unfortunately, HiFi Buys doesn't sell Energy, and I'd have to buy from the local dealer instead (Electronic Express), and I don't really want to buy from them, as they damaged a Pantera GT5 I once owned while de-installing some stereo equipment.

The energy line is a quality mid-fi set of speakers... you would be very pleased with them. BA is pretty good as well. I would listen to both and decide... it's really a matter of taste. Both are superior to Bose in the price range.

Remember, this is for home theater. Satellites like these will only be OK for music because they lack the power and midbass due to their size. Go with the Energy or BA or similar... then down the line, upgrade the 2 main speakers to larger floor standing energy (XL series is an option) and the center to match.

BTW, put your money into electronics. They are THE most important part of the system. Average speakers with great electronics will sound above average. Great speakers with average electronics will sound average. See if you can find a good deal on a Rotel receiver. It will blow the doors off any Sony, Yamaha, Denon and your Energys will sound twice as good. You know it's good because you can't find it at Good Guys.
biggrin.gif

When I upgraded from a receiver to separates it improved my system ten-fold with the exact same speakers.

The used section at www.audio-logic.com has some great deals sometimes.

Good luck. Remember that a home theater system is a project over time... not a one time purchase. You can constantly upgrade components one by one to improve the system and do not need to buy everything at once.

[This message has been edited by ilya (edited 08 January 2002).]

Originally posted by ilya:

BTW, put your money into electronics. They are THE most important part of the system. Average speakers with great electronics will sound above average. Great speakers with average electronics will sound average.

Sorry Ilya, I have to disagree with you on this one. I say spend the money on the speakers. An avg receiver and dvd with great speakers will sound better than a high-end receiver and avg speakers. Also, going to seperates is almost always going to improve your sound quality unless you are upgrading from a very high end reciever like an Integra DTR 9.1 (about $3,000). Even then, it will sound better with seperates.

Anyway, the receiver he chose is fine, and I would recommend the Energy speakers. I amost bought those myself before I decided to go will all Paradigm and spend a ton. The Energy are pretty impressive for their size and I would say they do exceed the bose. I think energy also makes a system called Encore that is a little more money, but will get you better midrange.

Another reason I say spend the money on speakers is because the technology in receivers is always changing, so chances are you will upgrade it in 3 years or so. On the other hand, great speakers will last a lifetime if you take care of them.

Just in the last few years we have gone from dolby prologic to Dolby Digital.. then DTS.. then DD 6.1/ THX EX, now DTS 6.1 matrix, neo etc.. THX Ultra 2, Dolby Prologic 2.. and it will never stop.

So you basically need to always upgrade your receiver ever 3 years or so to stay current.

Well.. thats my opinion anyway
smile.gif

BTW, I just added a rear center for the 6.1 surround and I think it rocks! Star Wars EP1 sounds incredible in DD 6.1/THX EX. I dont know how you would do that with the energy system. I guess you might be able to get one speaker seperate for the rear center.. if you want to go that far.

------------------

[This message has been edited by NetViper (edited 08 January 2002).]

That's cool. I can agree to disagree.
smile.gif

It's a hotly debated topic in some circles and it depends where you are coming from and the culture.

The Japanese, known audiophiles compared to the US, are the other way around and place chief importance on the front-end and electronics versus speakers.

Our western culture is the other way around and likes to invest most into speakers over the front-end.

This is strictly from a quality of sound standpoint. I agree with your comment regarding upgrading electronics regularly versus speakers.
Then again, if I had the funds, I would take a 10 year old McIntosh combo without batting an eye.
biggrin.gif
someday......

Damn, I keep digging myself into a bigger hole!

Went back to HiFi Buys today and told the salesman I'd decided I wanted better speakers to go with the Sony ES receiver and DVD player he's recommended (was now willing to spend $800-1000 just on speakers), and he showed me a Miller and Kreisel (M&K) speaker system that was way better than anything I've listened to. Of course it cost a lot more too! $1700 just for the 5 speakers and 12" sub.

Unfortunately (fortuately???) I've got the $$$ to buy the better system, so I'm wondering if you guys who know stereos, will tell me about M&K. I watched part of "Gone In 60 Seconds" through those speakers and a Sony ES receiver, and was quite impressed. Are Miller & Kreisel's worth the $$$, or should I consider something else?

Originally posted by ilya:
Would you ever consider buying used? You can put together a system valued closer to 3K for just over 1K that way. Quality audio components are so overpriced it makes NSX mods look tame in comparison.

Used audio does not sound worse in any way. In fact, properly broken in equipment sounds much better than something new out of the box. Many actually pay a premium for equipment that has been broken in by the factory. It's like buying a used car that runs better than a new one. Just make sure it's been taken care of.

This is the point I have reached. I put together a system for around 10K new a couple years ago. Now I have sold the whole thing to start again on an even bigger and badder setup. To move up from that level I was in, it would cost 20-30K dollars minimum... something I can not afford to do.

This time, I will be buying used, and for that 10K I will put together a system that will have cost me 30K+ new.
Buy local, no shipping, and evaluate the equipment before you buy. If it's only a few years old... it's a goldmine.
Find someone who know they're deal with hi-fi level equipment. The marketplace on sites like www.audioreview.com can help put together a system for 1K that will rival setups of 3K plus. The difference between a low to mid-fi, new bose setup and a mid to hi-fi setup (b&w, proac, krell, etc.) is like the difference between a Civic and an NSX. If you do it right, that 1K budget can kick butt and take names in the used audio narket.

Just another audio nut and his ridiculous ideas.
biggrin.gif

I agree 100% speaker especially have a long break-in period. Depending on the design it could even take up to 30+ solid hours of playing before they sound their best. Also remember what type of sound you want...do you want a warm rich sound, or a harsher, more in your face sound? It is all up to you, and ask the sales person if you can bring it back in 15 or so days if the setup does not live up to your needs or the needs of your room.

Originally posted by Mike O:

Are Miller & Kreisel's worth the $$$, or should I consider something else?

If you are going for strictly a home theater setup then I say yes....definatly go with the M&Ks...however, they are not very musical. So you need to decide how you will use your system....if it is 80% home theater and 20% music the M&ks should be just fine for you. But, if you are like I am with say a 60/40 margin...maybe you should go with something else. Placement is also a big issue with the M&ks so make sure you have the the proper area for the system you get...M&K does offer alot of different size systems though.

I have to agree that the speakers are the weak link in any audio chain, and buying the best sounding speakers ( your taste,not price )is more important than expensive hardware with impressive spec sheets. I doubt any one of us on this forum can actually hear the difference in sonic tonality between a $3K receiver and a $1K receiver. There are only a handfull of truly gifted audio engineers in the world who could point out a phase shift at 17.5 khz @.005% thd, etc, etc,...No one is going to tell me they can tell the difference between a disc sampled at a clock speed of 44.1 khz and one sampled at 48 khz, or the difference between 16, 20, or 24 bit resolution. The human ear doesn't even come close to hearing all the information between 20hz and 20khz, which is pretty much the standard in any audio hardware that can be purchased for any price. That's not to say that a higher priced
component isn't worth it to someone who considers themselves an Audiophile, and who appreciates quality products that they can be proud of( just like our cars ). All that being said, a good speaker can bring out the best in a lesser receiver, whereas a poor speaker will not bring out the potential of a higher end receiver.And, in reference to my earlier post, nothing is going to sound good in a bad room.

xtreme, sorry, but you're wrong about the subs not needing more power. It's a matter of physics: lower frequencies=more air to move=more cone mass to move the air=more wattage to move the cones. Think of it in relation to cars ( since this is a car forum
wink.gif
A heavier car needs more HP to go a given speed than a lighter car( all other things being equal)Depending on crossover points, the subs usually need twice the wattage over the high ends, in order for the system to sound balanced. Of course that's assuming a bi-amped or tri-amped system.Some concert sound systems are quad-amped or even greater, and the low end always soaks up the most power. You are correct that the quality of the wattage is more important than the quantity

I agree the speakers are where it is at overall. Right now I have a great reciever and a below average set of speakers and the sound is just so-so. The reciever did improve the sound but it is still nowhere near where I want it to be. Unless you get a total piece of crap reciever, the speaker should sound relativly the same. It all depends on your ear. Overall...just don't skimp anywhere. (Even on cables)

Originally posted by NSXLNT:
xtreme, sorry, but you're wrong about the subs not needing more power. It's a matter of physics: lower frequencies=more air to move=more cone mass to move the air=more wattage to move the cones. Think of it in relation to cars ( since this is a car forum
wink.gif
A heavier car needs more HP to go a given speed than a lighter car( all other things being equal)Depending on crossover points, the subs usually need twice the wattage over the high ends, in order for the system to sound balanced. Of course that's assuming a bi-amped or tri-amped system.Some concert sound systems are quad-amped or even greater, and the low end always soaks up the most power. You are correct that the quality of the wattage is more important than the quantity

It does depend on how the drivers made though...some are made well enough, and efficient enough not to require gobs and gobs of power. Check out REL subs(my personal favorite)...they are not power eaters like so many others.

Mike0,
Once you are spending that much money on a set of speakers, it all comes down to personal taste. M&K has a good reputation and is used (the higher end models) in the making of many films. M&Ks top of the line sub is one of the best you can buy for movies (it's close to 2K I think just for the sub).

I would really go around and look at many different speakers if you are going to spend that much. I think there are better for music than M&K. Pick up an annual copy of What-HiFi, Stereophile, and other popular audio mags. They usually have a yearly blowout where they select the best setups for every price range (under 1K, 1-3K, 5-10K, 10+ etc.).
I personally love B&W high end speakers (CDM series, Matrix and up). And I'm still of the opinion that electronics are key (of course, every component counts). Garbage in- garbage out is how I see it. If you're DVD/CD player is low end and can't even send a quality signal to the speakers, you will only hear what it is capable of picking up.

And I am putting this out there... once you hear separates you will never be able to go back. No receiver will do.

If you truly are ready to spend what you said, REALLY shop around. Find a few hi-fi shops and listen to their setup.
Whether they are Energy, B&W, M&K, or another mid to hi-fi brand, your price range puts you in the separates category. Don't spend all your money on the speakers and skimp on electronics.... find a balance.
Spend 1K on a pair of Rotel (or similar) separates. audio-video logic currently has a deal on the AMP and PREAMP for 1K.
Pair that with a set of floor standing mains, matched center and smaller satellites (1-1.5K range) and you will have a system that blows away every movie theater in the country.

Main point: take the time to listen to A LOT of different setups. Go to the local B&W dealer. Ask to hear their setup with Rotel or Krell components. Do the same for M&K, NHT, ProAC. If you are set on Energy which is a bit lower on the scale, but VERY competent... look in Canada. It's a Canadian company and you can buy from a retailer in Canada for close to half the US price- tax free.
1K could buy you their top of the XL line floor standing speakers, matching center and satellites. They're not B&W, but they still sound good.

You're on a slippery slope. This is how buying hi-fi is. As soon as you have made a decision, you hear something else or see something else that is even better. If your rush in, it will be a matter of weeks before you find something new and want to upgrade again. Take a long time to research and listen. It's like shopping for a car and is supposed to be one of the best parts of owning it. Enjoy yourself. Spend days going to various shops and auditioning setups and deciding for yourself.

As soon as you find what sounds best to you... you will start to notice even more important things. Quality sound will become a given. You will hear a system where if you close your eyes, you can actually place every instrument and sound on a 3D soundstage in front of you and point to where each musician
is sitting/standing. And this is with only your 2 main speakers playing for a CD.

Enjoy, research, learn, and have fun. It's very addicting and very expensive.
My opinion is that separates are the first big leap to having a truly high end system with the characteristics I mentioned above. Don't cheat yourself and find a shop that can show you. Good Luck.

BTW- This is all referring to home audio. I don't know a lick about car audio.
biggrin.gif

I haven't heard a car audio system yet that can hold a candle to Hi-Fi home setup. It has to do with the listening space and acoustics.

Back