• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Best Coilovers for under a grand?

Clean cars perform better than dirty ones!

Dave

Edit:
Up until a year ago, it's been my daily driver for ~6years. Even used it during the Winters when I lived in CT! These things go great in the snow.

Last edited:
From nsxcapades.... My butt dyno did NOT feel a terribly noticable difference in coilover set-up from a kw eqpt nsx to a ksport eqpt nsx....but i wasnt driving :tongue:

I could get into all the different factors and scenarios etc etc but at the end of the day for whatever reason i in no way shape or form felt a $1k difference.

That being said i have gone with the br setup from bc :cool: the fact that they are 15mins away and have great cust service from what ive inquired weighed heavily

2011-12-06215456.jpg

2011-12-06214540.jpg

2011-12-06144917.jpg

I would love to give an opinion on them and compare the the aforementioned setups but im still kinda down and out lol...

http://nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=155613

*first image is before setting appropriate ride height lol no hella flush

Last edited:
Very nice. That is the way I was going to go, but I got the Tein for $300 more. I felt it was worth the extra money for a proven set-up.

so after all this ...what tein,and why?

so after all this ...what tein,and why?

I got the TEIN FLEX.

Like I said above, I felt it was worth the extra $300 to get a name brand that has been around for a long time and hasn't had any negative reviews. Plus Chudson has them and I have always liked this ride.

If it was compared $1000 BC vs $1700 for TEIN, I would have gone with the BC.

And If I was going to do $1700 for TEIN I would have gone with KW3:biggrin::biggrin:

Last edited:
What does that mean?:confused:

Sorry Dave. No offense. I'm sure you made an informed decision. I just thought the Tein (especially the Flex) was the absolute last thing you would get so i'm just a bit shocked.

I can understand where you're coming from though. The BCs are the new unproven kids on the block.. at least in the NSX community.

Last edited:
Sorry Dave. No offense. I'm sure you made an informed decision. I just thought the Tein (especially the Flex) was the absolute last thing you would get so i'm just a bit shocked.

We'll see how it goes. I know they will be a little stiffer than I want, but like I said, I ahve been in Charles car many times and always liked the ride and handling.

We'll see how it goes. I know they will be a little stiffer than I want, but like I said, I ahve been in Charles car many times and always liked the ride and handling.

I've had several combo's over the years, Eibach on OEM, Neuspeed on OEM, Eibach on Bilsteins, H&R on OEM, and finally Tein Flex. If you play around with the Flex, you might be able to get them to ride a little better.

When I first installed them, they felt a bit harsh. I switched them out for the H&R's on OEM.....but with new wheels, I didn't like the drop. So just switched back to the Tein's and spent a whole day playing with the adjustments and got the ride to be pretty nice. So take some time playing with the spring compression, etc. Just sucks when you get to some really rough roads, especially with 18/19's.

If it was compared $1000 BC vs $1700 for TEIN, I would have gone with the BC.

And If I was going to do $1700 for TEIN I would have gone with KW3:biggrin::biggrin:

Congrats! It's a slippery slope... Try rebuilding an engine!

From nsxcapades.... My butt dyno did NOT feel a terribly noticable difference in coilover set-up from a kw eqpt nsx to a ksport eqpt nsx....but i wasnt driving :tongue:

I could get into all the different factors and scenarios etc etc but at the end of the day for whatever reason i in no way shape or form felt a $1k difference.

Interesting. Thank you for the comparison.

Good luck with your car too. That really sucks to hear. If I wasn't tearing mine apart now, I would just put a tack weld on those butterfly screws.

Dave

Congrats! It's a slippery slope... Try rebuilding an engine!

Interesting. Thank you for the comparison.

Good luck with your car too. That really sucks to hear. If I wasn't tearing mine apart now, I would just put a tack weld on those butterfly screws.

Dave

Thanks for the well wishes, soon as shes back and properly set up and adjusted ill chime in on the bc's :)

I've had my tein flex since 05. I have no complaints about them other than the harsh ride on bumpy roads. Highway cruising and normal driving is great. I've been adjusting them for awhile and they are still a little harsh on bumps. I'm in the market for different coilovers, so this thread has been very helpful. Although I'm still not sure which way to go!:)
No mention of the JIC's. They were on my list
HTC EVO

Last edited:
My Tein order didn't come in. So I am back to looking again. I am thinking of the BC's.

Honestly, if you rode in a car that had the Tein suspension and you liked it, why not just wait for them to come in?

Not trying to dissuade you from another coilover, but if you had the chance to experience a setup first-hand and liked it, why take a chance on something you haven't had the opportunity to sample (especially after the seven pages in this thread):confused:

Dave

I just purchased a set of gently used bilstiens from a primer. I'll be mounting them on the lower purch and using newer springs. ('01 vs. '93 stock springs)
This was the least expensive method to improve stock performance. It was a great deal that I couldn't pass up.

I'll let you know how I like them.

Honestly, if you rode in a car that had the Tein suspension and you liked it, why not just wait for them to come in?

Not trying to dissuade you from another coilover, but if you had the chance to experience a setup first-hand and liked it, why take a chance on something you haven't had the opportunity to sample (especially after the seven pages in this thread):confused:

Dave

Because for the same money I can get the BC and get some sways and I think it will be a better ride and better handling. All the negative comments on Tein have kind of persuaded me to change my mind.

I am still trying to understand the springs. Why do kw come with 6kg/6kg vs. nearly all the rest are 10/12? Is this the main reason people like the ride so much on kw? I talked to bc and they are 10/10 but could go 8/10. Is there a noticeable difference between 8 and 10?

Thanks

once again Dave for the nsx you want the stiffer springs in front not in the rear.Look at some of our many suspension threads,usualy started by the other Dave :wink:

once again Dave for the nsx you want the stiffer springs in front not in the rear.Look at some of our many suspension threads,usualy started by the other Dave :wink:

If that is optimum for the NSX, why isn't any coilover set up done that way? or OEM for that matter?

the jdm tuners have done this,and those in the know feel that they like a more prone to oversteer setup.but if you look at the oem spring rate tables on sos/wiki ect you will see that the stiffer springs are in front just like my type R.

Back