Best Car For 4K

eg9

Contributing Member
My sister is in college and looking for the most reliable car under 4K that would last her for the next 4-5 years. looks do not matter nor does the type of car (2 or 2+2) since I'd be the one paying for repairs. Any advice for her would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Honda Accord no question. I would go for an A/T, less abuse normally.

Thanks guys for the advice.

DeNguyen-

One would have to know my sister to truely understand the meaning of your statement. Things just don't last too long in her hands....

I second the Accord. My 1995 Accord Coupe 2.2l (paid 5300$, 58k miles) has been bulletproof.

You can find higher mileage 1994 for 4k$.

PS: and it also looks quite good for a beater!
acc5cp.jpg

1957 Toyota Land cruiser

it's reliable and you need a nuclear bomb to destroy it

:D

Yeah, the 94-97 Accords are hard to beat. They look nice/sporty, and aren't that big(unlike 98+ accords which are trying to be sporty camrys).

the other choice would be 95-96 Altima- The are fairly reliable, have a little more grunt(2.4L 150 HP motor), are pleasant appearing. My 95 was sold with 110k miles on it. I had to replace the front CV joints, otherwise, it ran perfect.

AndyH said:
94-95 Prelude

I would second that...but maybe even earlier and an Automatic S model with the F22a, same motor as the 90-93 accords just as indestructible but better suspension and handling, and looks.

Nissan

My choice would be Nissan Maxima. Engine can rival anything made by Toyota and Honda and the build quality is superb. If you want something economical - Sentra or Toyata Tercel both are cheap and good. I would advice against any sporty cars or wanna be sports cars. Stay away from Preludes, SE-Rs, and other cars that might have been owned by FF crowd. They are abused beyond means and not worth the hassle. Also popular cars get stolen more often so it might just happened that your sister's shiny civic will be the flavor of the day, plus insurance could also be higher for cars that are FF prone.

im in the same boat myself

im looking for a commuter for around 5 gizzles.

im leaning more towards a 95-98 subaru imprezza or legacy..AWD so i can go to the snow..

i have to get rid of my 98 RL and my 98 pick up..to make room for the 'snow' car.. dont want a big suv

91-95 NA MR2. That way she will get hooked to a mid-engine sports car and want to move up to an NSX. :D On-topic, i've heard NA MR2 are good for over 200k. Being its equiped with the old camry-4 and all.

I would have to consider a 94 or 95 Integra. Mine has 206K miles on it now. Runs like new, burns no oil, 30-36MPG. Outside of regular maintenace, it has only needed a radiator (New England winters) and a brake caliper. This thing will definitely make 300K miles no problem.

Thinking about a commuter car myself as I'm racking up the miles on the NSX (about 20k per year).

Anyone here any good/bad about the Honda Civic HX? It's not the hybrid, but the high efficiency vtec inline 4, it's rated at 44mpg highway. I know they have some issues with the CVT automatic, but I would get the manual.

Last edited:
Back