BC Racing Coilovers - Comprehensive Review

My BC Coil overs are now on. Drove the car last night and noticed an immediate and significant improvement in handling. The car feels much more "planted" around a corner. I don't think the car looks like it is the right height though. I thought we had it lowered 1" from stock, but, once we put the wheels, seems like we could drop it another 1" to 1.5"...... pic
below.... open to thoughts!

What size wheels do you have. I have BC coilover and lowered 1.25" seems lower than yours. I have 17 and 18

image.jpg

I have 17/18 too. 215/40 in front, 275/35 in back. You are right... your car looks tons lower.

We're did you take your measurements to determine the 1" drop. And did you measure before and after or just after and compared to OEM height listed somewhere.

just had these installed .. swift springs 10/10kg .. question about settings .. right now i have it set at -20 from max hard which would put it at +12 from soft? all four corners.. its still on break in period so have not yet had an alignment since the install.. how long should i wait before i do the alignment? how long does it normally take for the shocks to settle?.. so far car actually drives better and no issues with it pulling to one side or other and steering straightend itself out before it was just a tad off..

I'm thinking about going with this setup instead of the Bilstein & spring combo. Great write up by the way.

Any suggestion on who to order them from? I know eBay has a few for sale, but I want to see if there's someone in the NSX family who can help me out with an order. Any help would be greatly appreciated

I'm thinking about going with this setup instead of the Bilstein & spring combo. Great write up by the way.

Any suggestion on who to order them from? I know eBay has a few for sale, but I want to see if there's someone in the NSX family who can help me out with an order. Any help would be greatly appreciated

I would suggest Ravi at Umbrella Auto Design. He's an NSX guy. http://www.umbrellaautodesign.com/
Best price and service. Supposedly it's best to get the Swift springs upgrade as they're better quality and will yield a better ride. I ordered them with the Swift 8kg/8kg spring rates instead of the standard 10kg for a less jarring ride since the roads where I live suck. I love it. Keep in mind that upgrading to Swifts or changing the spring rates may delay the order process from a week to maybe 3-4 weeks depending on the level of stock.

Last edited:
I am surprised so many people actually like these coilovers. I have them on my NSX, and I have never liked them. I LOVE swift springs, but the coilovers themselves are definitely weak compared to other coilovers that I have used. The rebound is not terrible but the bump range seems small and not good at all. Outside of smooth roads I find it bouncy like cheap coilovers, and the suspension seems to give easily under aggressive cornering. I am currently in contact with Vorschlag to see if they can make me a set of AST 5100s for the nsx. Some of the best monotube coilovers you can buy for the KW Variant 3 price range usually.

Surprised to hear this. I now have 5 hard track days on my BC's and almost 2 years of daily driving and haven't had this experience. I turned a 2:10 at HPR on street rubber on this suspension. Very confidence-inspiring under hard cornering and not bouncy at all under any conditions. Maybe you got a bad unit?

I am surprised so many people actually like these coilovers. I have them on my NSX, and I have never liked them. I LOVE swift springs, but the coilovers themselves are definitely weak compared to other coilovers that I have used. The rebound is not terrible but the bump range seems small and not good at all. Outside of smooth roads I find it bouncy like cheap coilovers, and the suspension seems to give easily under aggressive cornering. I am currently in contact with Vorschlag to see if they can make me a set of AST 5100s for the nsx. Some of the best monotube coilovers you can buy for the KW Variant 3 price range usually.

Indeed Suprised as I too am going on my 2nd year with them and love them!
No issues at all taking corners hard and certainly rides just fine / not bouncy!
I concur with Honcho that you may have received a bad set by chance.

They are bouncy if on full soft but not at all in the mid to full hard.
snicker snicker

I have a question about durability. Stock shocks and springs still going strong after 24 years. If I buy a coil over set and I get it all dialed in, can I expect 10 years of trouble free usage or do people typically experience shock leaks at 2 years, etc.

I've never owned an aftermarket set of shocks so I'm not sure what to look for. I know not using the factory top hats could lead to some noise issues, but it seems people here are happy with the spherical mount on these. Any advice from the guys running these for 3 years?

Last edited:
If you are still running your original dampers(shocks) and you think your ride is still "fine" then you probably don't even feel the loss of spring control your shocks have lost.For you anything new would sharpen up the car nicely.If you want durability and don't want to have to fiddle with damper settings then just get bilstein/oem spring combo.

No, I'm sure mine are degraded but they are not leaking, squeaking etc. They are maintenance free... I have no issue adjusting damper settings etc I just want to make sure after 5 years the shocks won't be shot and leaking and need to be replaced...

Basically, how long do people expect to run a set of coilovers before having to replace them due to wear and tear?

I owned 2 sets of koni yellows over a span of 8 yrs and I had one leaky shock.I've owned the type R showa units now for 8 yrs and have had no issues.I have not heard of anyone complain of shock leaks on the KW units.

best of luck.It can be very rewarding to have a fully adjustable suspension setup correctly.

Daily driving in all seasons for 2 years. 6 hard track days. My BC monoball mounts are still silent.

I have a question about durability. Stock shocks and springs still going strong after 24 years. If I buy a coil over set and I get it all dialed in, can I expect 10 years of trouble free usage or do people typically experience shock leaks at 2 years, etc.

Not to sidebar, but my KW v3's had a leaking shock - OUT OF THE BOX.

My advise....put them on an drive the crap out out them while they are under warranty. Make sure they fail while under warranty.

Have you guys without the Swifts noticed a significant decline in the understeer the car has? Ultimately my goal is to try to reduce it between replacing the factory coilovers and then putting aftermarket anti-sway bars on it and tinkering with the settings on those as well as corner balancing the car.

I think, however, I can attribute some of my understeer to the wearing tires on the front of the car from when I purchased it. The car still handles amazingly, but when diving into the local roundabouts (50mph speed limit, technically), I can feel the car push a little in them. I'm not after a track monster, just trying to tone that down a bit.

Just an update on my coilovers. They've started to make some noise, creaking sounds when there is any shift in weight. Mainly coming from the front, but there is a bit of sound from the rear as well. Installed back in June 2011, now have 30k miles on them. Will update when I figure out what is going on.

Just an update on my coilovers. They've started to make some noise, creaking sounds when there is any shift in weight. Mainly coming from the front, but there is a bit of sound from the rear as well. Installed back in June 2011, now have 30k miles on them. Will update when I figure out what is going on.

Any updates?

Everyone still a fan of this setup?

Back