Battery Quick Disconnect

I've always been a little paranoid about electricity and now with almost 20y old car especially. I know it's not ferrarri or fiat but still - I'd like to be able to pop the hood and cut the circuit in a few seconds.
Back to when I was a kid my dad had quick disconnect right under the glove box. At the time there was not ecus or fuel injection on that car and I remember he always disconnected the battery leaving car overnight in the garage.

So anyway from what I see one can get the simplest plug and play one like this:

$T2eC16dHJGIE9nnWrcswBP++2WMW)g~~60_12.JPG

which seems fine to me since I can reuse the ground cable without cutting it. Hence easy roll back to original.
There are other options drawn from race car setups.

Wondering if anybody has one and which one exactly. Thanks.

This is another option if you want to mount it not directly on the battery

This is a Taylor kit

taylor_1037.jpg

We installed one of these for customers as extra security devices. It can be wired to a hidden toggle switch or button, doesnt have to be the kill switch.

painless_30205.jpg

or if you want to get really fancy..do it via remote....

I really like what you posted though because you can leave all wiring factory.

Last edited:
Two things to keep in mind. First, it's not all that easy reaching down to the battery terminals in the NSX. Second, if you disconnect the battery, you lose various functions, like the security system, any diagnostic codes that have been recorded, the memory on the clock and radio presets (I'm not sure but it also might include whatever the ECU "learns" from your driving), etc.

I really like what you posted though because you can leave all wiring factory.
Seems like this is the best for what I need.

Two things to keep in mind. First, it's not all that easy reaching down to the battery terminals in the NSX. Second, if you disconnect the battery, you lose various functions, like the security system, any diagnostic codes that have been recorded, the memory on the clock and radio presets (I'm not sure but it also might include whatever the ECU "learns" from your driving), etc.
Right. Reaching to the battery is not a problem since I don't carry spare tire. And you're right about what happens if you disconnect it - ecu would have to re-learn etc. My intention is though to use it only if I would have to leave the car for few weeks or in case of short circuit when I would have to kill it quickly.

Will get one I posted and report back on build quality and fit as I read very polarising reviews on these.

I have a brass quick disconnect on the negative pole of my NSX’s battery and am very happy with it. The one I have looks exactly like the one in your picture. You can also see it on the bottom right of this page: http://www.limora.com/clickable/gross/Bilder/8544.jpg or here: https://www.trabantwelt.de/images/product_images/popup_images/1105_0.jpg.

If you disconnect your battery you lose your radio presets and your clock forgets the time, as has been mentioned. Your PGM-FI probably also forgets the short and long term fuel trims but in reality, I have never noticed any difference in how the car runs after hooking up the battery again. What I’ve noticed is that I didn’t have to modify the car’s wiring in any way, the negative lead doesn’t seem stressed or twisted at all, the green thumb screw is very easy to reach (at least as long as the spare tire isn't in the car), and if I disconnect the battery, I can put the car up for the whole winter without the battery draining.

I was so happy with that battery quick disconnect that I put it into my other cars as well.

the only time would be a bad stereo install like from best buy or side shop audio etc.

but cool idea where do I buy one with the red switch

the only time would be a bad stereo install like from best buy or side shop audio etc.

I have the stock stereo in my NSX and if I let it sit too long, the battery drains so far that the car won’t start anymore. And it’s always been like that. My daily driver is the same. Both cars have factory alarms that are activated as soon as you lock them and maybe that’s what drains the battery. Or maybe it's the clock and OEM radio. Don’t know. In any case, with a quick disconnect like the one solidol pictured on the negative post of the battery, the cars start quickly and easily even after sitting for several months.

Last edited:
Weird… when I bought my battery quick disconnect in Germany, there were no different sizes to choose from, just one size fits all. And that size fit between the OEM ground cable and the negative post of the OEM battery in my NSX without difficulty.

Instead of worrying about disconnecting the battery I would just get a good battery tender and leave it hooked up whenever you not driving the car.

The car has many fuses to stop a short circuit don't worry about that.

Weird… when I bought my battery quick disconnect in Germany, there were no different sizes to choose from, just one size fits all. And that size fit between the OEM ground cable and the negative post of the OEM battery in my NSX without difficulty.
US cars often have different size terminals in Europe/Japan we all use the same.
Anyway it's a nice feature to have as nsxtasy pointed out they aren't the easiest battery's to get too.

Just put this in. Had to nicely bend original clamp to make it nice and tight. There is 15amp fuse to have tickle.

IMG_7929.JPG

+1 for the trickle charger. This will keep the battery fresh and ready to use when the time comes. I see no reason for a disconnect as it will lose all the memory stuff. To be safe, i would hook the charger to a GFI plug, so if it senses a problem it will trip.

Received this from amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001HSBW74/ref=oh_details_o00_s01_i00

Fact #1 : battery terminal is too small for connector to fit on tight. Need to use padding.
Fact #1 : receiving terminal on the connector is even smaller to be able to snap oe neg cable on. There is a hole there which makes me consider buying new cable to attach to and removing OE one.

Will see what I can find to make it good.

I ended up in the same boat, except I only have to deal with the 2nd Fact #1 - the receiving terminal on the connector is too small to get the cable on. Has anyone found a good battery switch that doesn't require modification of the car from stock?

Pretty sure I have the same one. It is great and only downfall IMO is having to set the clock again. I have had cases where if I stalled the car, the car would not turn on again unless I unscrewed and screwed the disconnect back on again. Luckily this has only happened when I was about to park... and not somewhere on the road. I attributed it to condensation/dust building up between the disconnect and the battery terminal, but it could be something else (main relay)?

Anyway, I plan to get this on my Sienna as well which I will not be driving much.

That's something that I need. However accessing the neg terminal is always a pain since I keep my spare tire/wheel (am I the only one?).I would need to go remote

Back