• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Battery is Dead...

Hi!

It's been a long time since I've been on this board and a long time since I drove my car. I have a 2001 NSX-T that has been sitting for a while. I only managed to drive it less than 1000km last 2 years. The battery is mostly dead now. I went down to the garage and the indoor lights wouldn't even turn on. There are no outlets down there. What's the best way of juicing her up? Is there a cheap battery/trickle charger that I could plug in somewhere, then bring down to the car to charge or should I just push the car out of its stall and jump it?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Sounds like its completely flat dead... your battery is probably gone bad from sitting for a long period of time? If your really lucky you could try charging it (disconnect it from the car entirely, bring it up to room temp then charge it) with any standard battery charger on low 1~2amp to see if it comes back to life?

I got lucky a few weeks ago and mine wasn't all the way dead I was able to revive it with no problems, I have a Challenger battery maintainer (which is talked about on the forums here) which cuz I'm too lazy to put it in, I think after this I will. You could also try jump starting it from a jump pack using the "Jump-Start" terminal in the located at the rear engine bay in the Fuse box, its got a plasic cover over the terminals you'd have to lift off to access...

If not might be time to buy a new battery... I had an Yellow Top Optima before which you can completely let die and recharge a few hundred times and not have it go bad. Also Interstate is a good replacement choice for a standard lead-acid.

or a flux capacitor!

Batteries only last 5 years or so anyway. So yours is more than likely dead for good. If you get a bit of a charge into it, it won't hold and you may be looking for a jump when you take it out.

Go buy a new one.

Interesting side note - when I replaced mine 3 years ago, I could hear the sub on the stereo for the first time. I guess the original battery couldn't provide the current for it.

Hi!

I keep forgetting to check back here because I haven't gone down to look at my car in a while. Anyways, it seems like the consensus is get a new battery. So the next questions would be what brand/model should I go with, where is a good place to get it (I'm in Edmonton), and do you think I can do it myself? If it's a simple matter of unattaching the leads and something simple I can do it, but if it's a bit more complicated, I might need to just jump it and limp off to the mechanic.

Dave

I have used Canadian Tire brand batteries for some time (please withhold snide comments :redface: ). They have something like a 10 year warranty, with the first three years being total replacement and the remainder being prorated. I had one die after a winter discharge and it was replaced for free.

You can definitely do this work yourself. You'll find the battery behind the spare tire in the front. Remove the spare, and you'll see how the battery is clamped in place. It's pretty straightforward. If you have back pain you won't enjoy the job as much...

DAVE, just call me and I will come over with the battery charger for you.
I got a few settings on it to get you going, or not.
Trev
468-1110
953-1744 cell evening.

You don't drive it much. I am in Edmonton as well.

Ever think about selling that car??
:biggrin:

Let me know....

PS... I'll supply the battery!!

I gave him my number first, he is my date.
Leave him alone you Vulture!!!
lol
Trev

Ok, now I remember this dude and the guy riding shotgun.
I saw them as I was driving by my Sat guy a couple years ago.
Nice car, just needed a gasket around the removable top.
Nice to see you out and talk to you again.
You got to do some meets and trips with us this year for sure.
Let the wife look after the little one and let the wind blow through your hair!!!

I just set him up with Robin at Rockys Battery on the southside.
Robin has a Black 95 Nsx-t!
Maybe I can get Robin to donate a battery for a prize on the Kelowna Trip.
Even if he might not come down, we'll still take his battery!
Trev

y didnt u have the car on a trickle charger?
i do that when in storage for a long period of time

If i were Magictooth - or anyone replacing a battery - I'd go with a deep cycle! Best thing since they are designed to recover from being dead discharged and staying that way for months - since we all store our cars for extended periods the Deep Cycle is the thing to do!

I almost can't wait to replace mine so I don't have to worry each spring! :)

Deep cycle optima yellow top @ costco best price $184.99 for top/side combo post ,just snagged 2.

Red top regular is $168.99 for top/side combo also the cars battery holder I have is a custom alluminum top/bottom and only will fit a optima so I had no choice ,and haveing a large stereo its recommended to use a deep cycle also but looseing crank amps which find the nsx does not use alot therefore its no big deal there, and as Red said if the battery drains alot, which it does (due to not useing it),will not harm it because deep cycle batteries can be charged often without harming them.I read theres onl 2 maybe 3 battery companies out there, tha make them all and stamp them to the company that sells them, like diehard, or motomaster. Johnson Controls makes many of them includeing the optima I believe.

Maximumyield

ive had the Optima Yellow Top's in a lot of previous cars, and Id say they are by far the best battery I have had... you can leave a car in a cold garage for months and it will start right up.

Do you guys typically disconnect your battery for long term (ie > 1 month) storage? I do and I've been able to start the car after a long winter sleep no problem.

Yes. I did. My car had boomerang which would kill the battery if it sat for a prolonged period. Boomerang became active again when it started, so I never worried about it.

bump ^_^
need to know what yellow top model is good for the nsx i saw model 35 which the 350z used before too, could this fit the nsx as well?/

thanks everyone

there is no Optima battery good for nsx - or any car for that matter - gey an odyssey -

Back