Battery cut off switch...

Any ideas on where I can/should mount this on a street car that sees some minor track duty?

e67285382f6be2102d09460f86ee3e65_zps29638f6f.jpg

next to your "senna inside" sticker.....

That would be a long ass battery wire going there, kind of defeats the purpose.

Isn't the whole battery cut off idea on a track car that someone could shut it off... I mean, you could do the front valance easily as well. Very short cable and tons of room there. Or if it is just for yourself then just put it under the hood.

That would be a long ass battery wire going there, kind of defeats the purpose.

not if you run it off from the cable to the starter which is right below the rear valence. This was how I had mine but overtime, the switch would intermittently causing a mis-start until I give it a little love. It was a good theft deterrent.

not if you run it off from the cable to the starter which is right below the rear valence. This was how I had mine but overtime, the switch would intermittently causing a mis-start until I give it a little love. It was a good theft deterrent.

So where did you have it mounted?

I've seen people mount it to their license plate. seems to work well and you don't have to touch any body parts, or tail lights that people generally do.

in all my years at the track i have seen 1-2 guys with this on a street car..both were M3's......may i ask why dave.

honestly.I just think dave wants to add all these "racy' parts to his car so that he can wax poetic about how he "races" the car at the track when asked by a hunky cowboy.....

honestly.I just think dave wants to add all these "racy' parts to his car so that he can wax poetic about how he "races" the car at the track when asked by a hunky cowboy.....

May I just point out that you are the one that has started to use the word "hunky" and that I had simply posted a picture of what I thought was some dude on a fence.... LOL

Anyway.... The reason behind this, is that if you see my lightweight battery thread, I have invested in a 4.9 pound lithium iron battery from shorai. Being its costing me about $400 to mount and purchase, I want it to last as long as possible. Because my car sits for weeks at a time, I wanted to disconnect it from the car's electronics so that I do not deep cycle and kill it. Hence the switch. But.... Since I do now own this kill switch, and since I DO track the car once in a blue moon, I figured it can also act as a safety device. So I was asking about a proper mounting location.

- - - Updated - - -

i removed it. it was causing more hassle on the street than its worth.

How so?

Dave - digressing from OP but since you have removed your spare tire, and now gone with a battery that saves you some 40 lbs over a regular one, aren't you concerned about changing the balance of the car's weight distribution front/rear? Surely you haven't reduced net weight from the back with CTSC/header/exhaust .... or have you?

When running without the front spare and a lighter battery, I felt the front to a bit light at the steering. YMMV.

Hrant:

OEM exhaust to ARC titanium, minus 30 pounds.
2 cats, minus 20 pounds or whatever they weigh
CD changer at rear end with brackets, minus 11 pounds.
Rear spoiler to carbon type are, minus 3-5
Tool set, minus 12 or whatever
Power antenna, minus 2-3
Future bumper beam, minus 10 or so

All off the rear as far as you can get.

Plus I will corner balance the car. So I think it should be fairly balanced still.

May I just point out that you are the one that has started to use the word "hunky" and that I had simply posted a picture of what I thought was some dude on a fence.... LOL

Anyway.... The reason behind this, is that if you see my lightweight battery thread, I have invested in a 4.9 pound lithium iron battery from shorai. Being its costing me about $400 to mount and purchase, I want it to last as long as possible. Because my car sits for weeks at a time, I wanted to disconnect it from the car's electronics so that I do not deep cycle and kill it. Hence the switch. But.... Since I do now own this kill switch, and since I DO track the car once in a blue moon, I figured it can also act as a safety device. So I was asking about a proper mounting location.

- - - Updated - - -

How so?
Sometimes the key does not engage properly but you can't really tell so you have to jiggle it, take it in-and-out and give it a little love to insert it again even though ALL the connections look clean and tight. I am not sure if its because its made in China or if there is a higher quality available. Overtime it became a pita failure mode and its hard to look cool going back and forth trying to start the car in a parking lot.
I lost ~10lbs. by removing it cuz the gauge of the xtra cables. And if you got caught in the rain practicing like Senna.....you will look more silly w/o a rain coat trying to start your car w/ all the JDM race queens looking at you!

Now I look like everyone else starting my car but at least I don't wear out my bucket eat that much.
OTOH, you may have no problem at all and its not an expensive mod to reverse....and you will look cool but I will be 10lbs lighter than you = faster.

thx for the Shorai tip.
When my 5yr old 15lb. PC680 bites the dust I will try it. - there goes another 10lbs.
Voltpeake was too$$$$$.

Sounds like you used it a lot more often than I plan to. I suppose it can work as anti-theft of some sort. I guess I should forget about it as a track safety device.

What I really wated was this:

c3cd7cc40e8c6a8644bb6a70a2c18e82_zps92896722.jpg

This will cut power off below a certain voltage automatically and then as soon as it sees a load like lights or brakes, something YOU DO, it immediately reconnects. But that threshold is set to 11.7 volts, and is good for lead acid batteries. When the shorai hits 11.7, it is essentially at under 10% and dead. I need this item with a higher threshold. That would would perfect and a nice addition to this battery.

I've got mini batteries on both my cars, the RSX sees the track but I didnt want a bright red external battery toggle thats screaming for some joker to play with while im parked in a public lot somewhere. I got a mini toggle that mounts under the hood (or in the car) that you hit a little button and it swings a leaver over effectively disconnecting the battery. Its awesome to have these when doing things to the ECU or working on you car, especially in the NSX where I have to remove a ton of stuff just to get to the terminals to unhook them. Ive never had a problem with them losing contact and they are extremely light. Heres a couple pics of my RSX, i cant remember who makes it, ill check tonight and post back.

its the toggle with the blue buttons on the right side of the bay attached to the top of my fuse box

Dave, don't you think that you may be spending a little too much time with Ferrari owners? :)

Since when do NSXs catch on fire?

Back