Barrett Jackson

Any car nuts wanting to see what other car nuts will spend on cars, Barrett Jackson is on right now.
Speedvison.

Last edited:
Been waiting for this for months. Actually some good buys if you do some homework and have stratagy for muscle cars given the market is soft. There is some big upside with the economy turning.

A 98 Viper GTS went for 48k w/o the commisions....go figure! Then right after a 98 Hennessy GTS w/600hp went for 60k

I saw that Tom, It (Hennesey) only had a reported 1500 miles on it. The hot rods were going pretty cheap as well, for what you were getting.
I wonder what day two will bring.

I would love to buy a GT500. The prices have skyrocketed in the past few years. Damn "Gone in 60 Seconds"

I also look fwd to this all year. I will be watching all weekend.

Syonara said:
I'm goin on Saturday:D
Saturday should be a good day to go. Didn't see much last night that interested me much, but yes the two Vipers suprised me. I would have thought the Hennesy would have brought more. Lenny Kravitz took a bath on his w-32 442 vert. They said the same car brought over 90K last year at the auction, and sold for 60K.

www.barrett-jackson.com

Just go to the Scottsdale link and you can get an inventory of every lot # in the show and bid prices from lastnite I think.

I found it interesting that I noticed some younger faces than normal on center stage bidding. Perhaps were seeing a re-generation of such w/cars we grew-up with.

My top if I were looking.

1)GT350
2)396 Chevelle SS
3)427 Vette "Any"
4)63 XKE Jag
5)69 Mach 1

Tonight is 5 hours of coverage so I told my wife to go shopping, and the kids can stay home in video land in the play room, pizza, cokes, cookies....just don't bug me!! ;)

I'd like to have a ~70ish muscle car to toy around in. So, if looking my top 5 :

1970 SS LS6 Convertible
69/70 GT500 Convertible
1970 AAR Cuda Convertible
1970 Boss 302
1970 Judge Convertible

KGP:

My neighbor just listed his 1969 Camaro RS/SS for sale - it is cherry, a frame-off restoration, gold with black hockey stripe, 425 hp, black and white herringbone interior...awesome look, great sound. However, for the $40k he wants, I would much rather have an NSX!:)

Driving those old muscle cars is an entirely different experience - you have to be okay with squeaks and rattles, weird steering, strange suspension.....I prefer the precise and mechanical feel of newer cars, maybe because I didn't grow up in the muscle car era, and I don't like to work on them myself. I do, however, enjoy looking at outstanding examples of any type of car, especially when you can tell how much love has been showered on them by their owners.

LeftLane said:
KGP:

My neighbor just listed his 1969 Camaro RS/SS for sale - it is cherry, a frame-off restoration, gold with black hockey stripe, 425 hp, black and white herringbone interior...
Yes, I saw the pic you posted a short time ago. It made me ill becasue of an opportunity a had a long time ago. In 1979 a guy with the exact same color RS offered to trade me even up for my Ford Pinto, LOL. I didn't pull the trigger and was sick about it. Also sick I ever gave up my 442 W30 back in 78. :(

I wouldn't want to give up the X for one, but I'd like to have one to tool around. One of my partenrs (just up the highway from you) has 4 Cuda's/Challengers, all of them quite rare.

I wish I had not sold and still had some of these to auction off.

1971-240z, 1972-240z, 1973 Mach 1, 1969 boss 302, 1981 firebird, 1973 RS camero, 1970 baracuda, 1988 reatta, 1979 308, 1975 911 rsr, 1987 911, I am sure there are other I have forgotten.

steveny said:
I wish I had not sold and still had some of these to auction off.

... 1988 reatta...
No flame intended, but what was/is special about that one?

My dad had a 1972 240z that he had restored, new paint, perfect condition - owned it for a long long time, and sold it 2 weeks before my 16th birthday.:(

That was my first experience with a broken heart.

I'll be in big trouble if they ever find his body.:D

If you guys are watching, some insane prices today.
Mr. Gateway computers just spent about 270k on a 67 Shelby GT500. Old Vettes are getting big dollars as well.

autobody tech said:
FROM WHAT I CAN TELL FEW OF THOSE CARS ARE REALLY WORTH THE MONEY. iTS LIKE THEYRE TRYING TO BOOST THE MARKET OR SOMETHING. THAT OR IM GETTING OLD. wHY AM I YELLING? "oh god"

I hear what you are saying, but it's moot. They are worth what was paid by the person who wanted them. They are bringing what that market would bring, as a small of a sample as it may be. Then you see a historic race proven Z06 (vintage) roll across and bring only 70-80k. If you look at their website and look at the sold reports, you'll see that most of them are going for what would be inline prices. What we are seeing on TV is pretty much for production value... Unfortunately, I didn't get to see what the Ruf Turbo (Beddors car) went for.
The Vettes were inline for what they were.
JAO

KGP said:
I'd like to have a ~70ish muscle car to toy around in. So, if looking my top 5 :

1970 AAR Cuda Convertible

FYI, there was no convertible option on the AAR cars. ;)

They made 1 hemi cuda convertible that sold for about 440k+_ a year or two ago. I have seen clones made to look like AAR Cuda convertibles. But never a racing version.

len3.8 said:
They made 1 hemi cuda convertible that sold for about 440k+_ a year or two ago. I have seen clones made to look like AAR Cuda convertibles. But never a racing version.

There were seven '71 Hemi Cuda convertibles made - five autos, two 4-speeds. One of the 4-speeds was on eBay last year which drew bids of over $1 million, but it didn't meet the reserve.

I think there were 13 '70 Hemi Cuda convertibles made.

Autophile, I stand corrected. You were right it was at 1.1 when it rolled off, and it's not listed as having been sold.
However, they were saying the true production number was 1, was it that there was only one yellow?
I know a convertible from Don Johnson went for $148k, I think it was just plain jane.
Obviously you would know more, you have one so I would have to assume you follow them.
Let me know on the #'s on the Hemi though.
13 or 14 Converts, I just checked the registry.
Still would like to know how many were yellow, because I am stuck on the number 1 for some reason.

Len, you didn't specify who the "they" was in your text, but perhaps there was only one yellow 71 HemiCuda droptop manufactured. I don't believe anyone short of Galen Govier would know the actual count by colors, however. I'm not a statistics fanatic, like many car guys I know, so I don't believe I can provide any other useful detail to help you.

The car from Don Johnson was made by Ultimate Rides in Florida, who can make a duplicate 71 HemiCuda convertible to order for around $110,000.

They as in to the commentators, (not experts) and some of the Media oulets that printed the story on the auction.

I understand on the Stats, I usually don't pay attention to them much either. I try not to babble inaccuracies, that's why the fact that I stated as 1 being made is bugging me. Ohh well .....

I love the Barracudas as well. I would love a Cuda with a 440, in convertible trim. I want it in orange, with black accents.
Got any pics of yours?

Well, I'm having some trouble getting my pics to show up. Let me practice, and then I'll try again a little later.

Back