Ball joint separator puller

Hi,

I'm trying to remove my left rear driveshaft for a rebuild and I'm stuck because I don't have 28 and 32mm ball joint separator puller. Is there an alternative tool to use w/o damaging the ball joint booth ? or do I really need to folk out over $450 to get these tool ?

Thanks
Tae

My CV booth is leaking grease and that's why I need to remove my axle. Is there any way to remove the axle w/o removing the ball joints ? I'm seeing in many previous posts advising not to remove tha ball joints.

you dont need the to.

depending on what rims you have or year. you need to remove the rear axle nut 36mm if i remember correctly. so bend the tab on the nut with a strong flat head screw driver. then remove the nut.

then take the nut off the rear stabilizer bar which is connected to the shock.

and remove the 4 bolts holding the upper control arm to the frame.

use a floor jack to hold up the rotors/and upper control arm. then lower it a little,
you will notice you can now slide the axle in and out. but it will not come out yet. you need to get a metal hammer and bang the axle one or two times, real hard hits. should free the rust and now the whole knuckle will wiggle free.

then take a crow bar and wedge it where the crow bar is between the axle and the tranny, and push it will click and probably fall on the ground LOL
depending on what side of the car your doing it should be kinda the same procedure. any question PM me

Last edited:
Thanks Shawn,

I've been searching the forum and I think I got most of the parts except for "marking the camber adjusting bolt"

- Do not separate your ball joints to do this. If your boots are only leaking then you can just loosen the clamps (they're easy to reuse) and repack them.
- If you're going to do this anyway just buy a new replacement axle. Go to O'reily Auto Parts. They have a new, quality axle for about $79 US (they only stock the drivers side).
- It helped me to remove the strut when I replaced that axle. Also, get a new axle seal at a dealer as they are easy to damage and should be replaced anyway.
- That axle nut is a PITA. Don't even try to use 1/2 drivers, they'll almost for sure break. I had to soak that nut for 3 days with PB Blaster and it finally came loose with an impact wrench. Be careful not to damage the wheel speed sensor, they're not cheap.
- Good Luck!

Last edited:
Hi all,

This was one of the easiest job ever !! It took me less than an hour to remove everything. I followed Larry B's advise and remove the two bolts holding the lower control arm along with 2 lower strut bolt..etc With a little help from impact gun/PB blaster...all out in prob 40 mins :biggrin:

I should so make a DIY on this

Thanks for all the help guys !!

Tae

Attachments

• 0708011931.jpg
    0708011931.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 110
  • downsized_0708011930.jpg
    downsized_0708011930.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 90
Back