BAD SHAPE 91 NSX

Hi all. I was wondering how much would be a good price to pay for a1991 nsx with 130k miles in a terrible shape. The intired interior need work. Needs new seats center consule, steroe, odometer+speedometer consule missing, very poor shape. The outside needs new paint job, missing the exost, needs front lower lip. What do you guys think i should pay??? Also does any one know how much for the odometer consule? thanks alots .

If you don't have any idea how much it would cost to fix the car up, then you shouldn't even THINK of buying it.

Typically the value of a poorly maintained / theft recovery is mostly to either the racer type who was going to tear everything out anyway or a recycler.

A good place to judge prices is ERZ Motors

If you go to the Acura section at http://www.erzcar.com you will find several vehicles of various condition. There is a 96 in awful shape for about $17. I would gauge it by things like this as it is hard to set an established market.

Also - your insurance agent should be able to tell you what the salvage title is worth for your year and mileage.

Good luck.

------------------
Nick M

91' Red/Black with Many Mods
99' Honda Odyssey with Many Kids

[This message has been edited by matteni (edited 26 August 2002).]

Originally posted by [email protected]:
Hi all. I was wondering how much would be a good price to pay for a1991 nsx with 130k miles in a terrible shape. The intired interior need work. Needs new seats center consule, steroe, odometer+speedometer consule missing, very poor shape. The outside needs new paint job, missing the exost, needs front lower lip. What do you guys think i should pay??? Also does any one know how much for the odometer consule? thanks alots .

my guess, it would be worth 10K. Plus mucho dinero to fix it up, just so that it will be marketable in the future.

Originally posted by matteni:
...If you go to the Acura section at http://www.erzcar.com you will find several vehicles of various condition. There is a 96 in awful shape for about $17...

I would buy ANY NSX in ANY condition for $17 (I think matteni meant $17k).
wink.gif

------------------
'91 Black/Black

Originally posted by matteni:
Typically the value of a poorly maintained / theft recovery is mostly to either the racer type who was going to tear everything out anyway or a recycler.

A good place to judge prices is ERZ Motors

If you go to the Acura section at http://www.erzcar.com you will find several vehicles of various condition. There is a 96 in awful shape for about $17. I would gauge it by things like this as it is hard to set an established market.

Also - your insurance agent should be able to tell you what the salvage title is worth for your year and mileage.

Good luck.

At other dealers I have come across almost all the exact cars that ERZ Motors has offered for sale. It would seem to me that ERZ is a broker of sorts. I would think that that any car ERZ is selling could be bought for cheaper if one were to find the source.

Originally posted by steveny:
At other dealers I have come across almost all the exact cars that ERZ Motors has offered for sale. It would seem to me that ERZ is a broker of sorts. I would think that that any car ERZ is selling could be bought for cheaper if one were to find the source.

ERZ is in several lines of business. They specialize in buying NSXs that are in poor shape, particularly those that have been in accidents. They part some of them out, and they restore and sell others.

Yes, you can probably buy one as cheap as ERZ does. But the question is, do you know what you're doing enough to make it worthwhile to restore? You have to know in advance how much it will cost to fix up, in order to know how much to pay when buying it. If you don't know what you're doing, you could easily lose money on it...

I will not buy the car if I were you. sooner or later you will be annonyed to restore it or feeling weird about your fixed up car is not as good as a "good condition" one..

Erz is great.. I emailed them regarding some parts I want...

Simply make a list of all the parts you know it needs and get a proper quote for them from a dealer. You can get 25-30% off those, but don't calculate it that way so you have a little headroom for things you missed. Then multiply by 2 if you aren't sure you have the whole list.

If you will do all the work yourself then it may add up, but chance are if you plan to have it done the labor will kill the deal, which is usually why such a car is sold as-is (except directly from the insurance company).

If you decide it's not of interest to you I'd like to know more about it. I've been tinkering with the idea of an NSX race car and that sounds like a decent start.

Back