Autoweek: Lexus' LF-A Spied - NSX? What NSX?

Dude - a lot of guys on here have been waiting for YEARS. Doug Hayashi was writing about the "new NSX" back in 1998.

Zanardi 50 is spot on. I'm particularly bitter about the "current" NSX at the moment though.

Ahh... so true. When I first started looking for my NSX 10 years ago, I debated whether I should wait for that "new NSX". Good thing I bought one back then because otherwise I'd still be waiting for it to come out...

-- Joe

My new Road and Track (Light vs. Might issue) has a pic of the S2000 test mule and says that's the new NSX. I hate subscribing to inacuracy!

I hate when people misread/misquote information. that car around the 'ring is a TEST MULE, you might want to look up the meaning of it.

Huh? It is the test mule.

And that's what I said... but THEY said it's the NEW NSX! They are not aware that's the test mule for the new motor...

Toyota/Lexus can design and sell a $150k GT car with outstanding performance.
Aston Martin/Bentley/BMW/MB can design and sell a $150k GT car with good or great performance.

Honda can design a $150k GT car with outstanding performance. But nobody will buy it. Why? 'Weaker brand' you say? Yes, obviously.

But the weaker brand isn't a result of fickle consumers or lame marketing. It comes from a decade of increasingly mundane products. It also comes from (I know all too well) management's failure to maintain its customer base. How many new NSX owners were interviewed to understand what THEY want in a flagship replacement. None that I'm aware of. Instead, Honda spits out this atrocious ASCC. That's a management failure. In my quick-n-dirty "Acura dealership service quality" poll, about 50% of respondents were VERY unhappy. That figure, for NSX owners in particular, should be like 5%. That, again, is a management failure.

A worldclass automotive engineering company, with tremendous customer loyalty, has been run into the ground over the last 10 years. It shouldn't come as any surprise that its brand is noncompetitive.

I would have to disagree in part with your statement here. You do have a legitimate point regarding the dealership service issue. Although I have been treated with nothing by kindness from my local dealer, the level of 'customer service' itself is not up to par versus, say, BMW or MB. This is a definite short-coming.

However, look at the price tag of the NSX during its introduction of $80k+. This price was back in 1991. Time value of money should play a small role in this figure, and to re-introduce the car at a similar (and yes, $100k is relatively similar) price point should produce steady sales. The 2007 consumer will pay the extra money. People pay $250+ for a pair of jeans these days. It's all about branding. The American consumer knows Honda makes an outstanding product. We, as NSX owners, are a bit more discerning(sp) and we seek a higher caliber automobile for performance reasons. If Honda posted the numbers, you mean to tell me you wouldn't be willing to purchase it (especially with the reliability that Honda offers...second to none I would argue)?

I think we put too much emotion into this topic sometimes. Think about it from a logical stand point. Unless anyone here on the forum has built a bigger brand than 'Honda' I'm not sure how we can be so quick to judge. BTW, I was speaking to my NSX tech here, and met with some Honda/Acura service exec's and the things he saw from them were very encouraging. Give them time, you have a great car to drive until then. My only hope is that with the new model, they don't let it remain stagnant like they did in the first 14 years.

Tony (Autovation), I think you may be on to something. Great points. It will be interesting to see what they can do with fuel economy/alternative fuel source compatibility. We all know this is undoubtly the future of the automobile.

Okay, I'm done. Off to "warm up the tires" on my 1994 NSX that still turns heads at every stop light!!!

However, look at the price tag of the NSX during its introduction of $80k+. This price was back in 1991. Time value of money should play a small role in this figure, and to re-introduce the car at a similar (and yes, $100k is relatively similar) price point should produce steady sales.
The NSX was actually in the low-$60k range when it was introduced, not $80k+. The price increased steadily and quickly year after year, topping out at just shy of $90k in '97 or so.

This LF-A is going to kick some ass. I know it. Toyota will not screw this up. I may put a deposit down on one soon.

The NSX was actually in the low-$60k range when it was introduced, not $80k+. The price increased steadily and quickly year after year, topping out at just shy of $90k in '97 or so.

My apologies. What year was it then, when the sticker price reached $80k+? I own a 94, and I recall finding a quote somewhere in that range. Either way, a $60k+ Honda (consumers know Acura's true owner) in 91 was unheard of. The point I was trying to make, while not entirely correct in the historical data, is that the price was not even close to any other automobile in the line. I just don't agree with the argument that consumers won't pay a considerable amount more for an exotic Honda/Acura. They did (in 91) and still do (resale values of a 05 versus Honda/Acura's other vehicles). We just all need to hope that Honda sets the benchmark high...again.

Back