automatics

Good question! It would take someone with a lot more mechanical knowledge than me to answer that, but Im going to assume no for one reason... I think the mid-engine configuration of the NSX would be a problem for any tranny designed for a front engine car.

Well, I am no mechanic, but a swap sounds like the best alternative. I am trying to think of any other mid-engined car with auto... hmm.. what about a 911 turbo auto tranny? (its rear-eng... close enough..)

Off topic, Spookyp... You could always sell your 2002 and pick up a 94 auto and use the extra cash to beef up the tranny and SC it. Then you get to keep the NSX and have money in the bank :)

NetViper said:
Off topic, Spookyp... You could always sell your 2002 and pick up a 94 auto and use the extra cash to beef up the tranny and SC it. Then you get to keep the NSX and have money in the bank :)

Ahem... 2003! :D

Actually, my budget for this "project" is about $110k, so I *could* mod the tranny and SC, I just dont trust these tranny guys :( Comptech knows what would have to be done to the 03 auto to install the SC and LarryB said it would be no problem, its just that everyone thinks/knows the trans will explode...

Buyout on my car right now is about $82k... Since these bastard dealers won't give me a penny over $61k, Im about $21k under (which still leaves me a healthy amount to work with though)

My main goal is to eliminate the lease payment in a little deal I made with my wife and "get a car and keep it for a change!" (thats a quote from her).

Of course I'd really rather not lose $21k unloading the car, but if I know Im definitely not keeping it, paying the $24k left on the lease over the next two years doesnt make much sense either.

The BEST solution would be keeping it and being able to mod it of course. Thats why Ive been so desperate to find a workable way to do it (even an expensive one). But there seems to be literally no way to do it with any measure of confidence... :(

spookyp said:
Ahem... 2003! :D

Actually, my budget for this "project" is about $110k, so I *could* mod the tranny and SC, I just dont trust these tranny guys :( Comptech knows what would have to be done to the 03 auto to install the SC and LarryB said it would be no problem, its just that everyone thinks/knows the trans will explode...

With your budget, you could get a new transmission when it broke, right? ;)

I was considering NOS since Level Ten seemed like they weren't going to pan out... has anyone know of Nitrous on an auto?

wilsonp said:
With your budget, you could get a new transmission when it broke, right? ;)

I was considering NOS since Level Ten seemed like they weren't going to pan out... has anyone know of Nitrous on an auto?

I could actually (and thats what NetViper wants me to do! :D )

But if you think about it, having a trans die really, really sucks. Im currently talking with both Larry B and John from Import Performance Transmissions in NJ and may go forward with a build of the auto and the Comptech SC.

What happened with you and Level 10? I hear so many mixed stories from there.

I would think that even a small N2O shot may be just as risky on the stock trans as the SC. Although N2O is on demand, so its not like youre constantly putting the strain on the trans. Interesting to consider...

1TITENSX said:
Excuse my inexperience here but what about taking an auto and doing an individual throttle body system mod :confused:

Chris (SoS) gave a general thumbs down to power adding NA mods as well :(

Basically, if it adds HP or TQ in a big way, it's going to spell trouble on the auto.

The biggest problem with the automatic transmission is not being able to hold the car in its optimal power band. Mash on the gas and you're into VTEC and onto the next gear way too soon. This coupled with no engine braking make the automatic frustrating
to drive on the race track. I don't think more hp would help much
on the race track, maybe on the drag strip.

JimK said:
The biggest problem with the automatic transmission is not being able to hold the car in its optimal power band. Mash on the gas and you're into VTEC and onto the next gear way too soon. This coupled with no engine braking make the automatic frustrating
to drive on the race track. I don't think more hp would help much
on the race track, maybe on the drag strip.

The Sportshift lets you hold gears pretty well. While by no means anywhere near a manual system, I dont find the Sportshift to be that bad in this regard. I dont personally track my car, but there are some auto owners who do who can speak more to this.

For the street though, there's no doubt that more HP would make an enormous difference. To me, .5-1.5 sec difference 0-60 is really noticeable.

To be honest, I think the biggest problem with the auto is a massive lack of power and a total inability of the tranny to take more power. The track is one thing, but most of these cars spend most of their time on the street/highway. The auto just does not keep up at all...

Nitrous on AT

I have a 91 AT with the RM Nitous kit and my car has been running fine. I use it fairly often and have not noticed any transmission problems--I also have I/H/E. I've had the mods for over 1 year now. I hope this helps in some way. And I hope my tranny lasts.

Re: Nitrous on AT

Montoe said:
I have a 91 AT with the RM Nitous kit and my car has been running fine. I use it fairly often and have not noticed any transmission problems--I also have I/H/E. I've had the mods for over 1 year now. I hope this helps in some way. And I hope my tranny lasts.

Hey! This helps a lot! Thats a 70 shot right? So you're adding 70hp with the spray and probably another 15-20hp with I/H/E. Thats quite similar to the SC scenario.

How often/under what circumstances do you give it the juice? Finding you is big news for me :D

After reading all this stuff about automatics, I thought I would leave my thoughts (I've got a 92 auto myself).

NSX is a great and beautiful car. My first exotic and I love every moment I drive it. I've gone though a few manual cars (mr2 turbo/300zx/3000gt/SupraTT) and I can say there is nothing like a turbo charged manual car. Especially the Supra TT. It pulls like crazy. :eek: :eek:

I bought the NSX auto for class and style. I push the car here and there, but I don't often race it even when ppl pull next to me. In my opinion, if a person was REALLY serious about racing and true preformance, get a MANUAL. But, it's still fun to push an auto here and there. :D :D

Last edited:
Well, I obviously disagree with the above. I like fast cars. Period. I want the car to be fast no matter what the transmission is.

I don't make excuses for autos and say "well, I should buy a manual if I want it to be fast". I've had and been in too many fast, fast automatics for that nonsense.

Of course this is all a personal thing, but I dont think theres anything wrong at all with someone with an auto wanting it to get to 60 quicker than 6 seconds :eek:

There's "serious about racing" and then theres just "I want a sportscar thats quicker than a sedan".

The auto is starting out really, really, really slow compared to any other quick car on the road today. My BMW 330XI was very close in acceleration to my 03 NSX. ANYTHING with an AMG badge will decimate it. Not good.

My Vette, on the other hand, was rocketing through the 1/4 mile in the low 12's with an auto (torque converter, headers, exhaust, power loader, cold air induction, 3.42 rear diff) I test drove a 911TT tip that was a rocketship and felt easily as quick as my Vette bone stock.

If I could get the NSX auto at least down into the 13's, I think I'd be happy.

I know the NSX isnt a drag racing car, but drag racing performance, in the end, equates to on ramp and highway merge performance. Having nice, linear, power and acceleration available on the highway is something that ANYONE who pays $88k for a sportscar wants to enjoy... Auto or not...

Look at it this way... One of the hottest topics here on the Prime is how underpowered the NSX is in general. Well, with the auto, its about 30% WORSE of a problem. The auto still is produced and still carries the NSX look. If Honda is going to continue with an auto option on the HSC (sequential or traditional auto), they'd better make sure it can actually deliver. Doing what they've been doing (and what Mazda did with the RX8) and saying "real performance enthusiasts dont want an auto" just delivers marketshare to BMW, Mercedes and Porsche on a silver platter.

Spookyp.. you could always try a basch Boost ... ok, that was just wrong :D

You know my thoughts. Give it a shot. If the tranny has trouble, get it rebuilt right, if not, you saved 5 grand.. It sucks to be the first OBD2 auto with an SC, but someone has to blaze the path for others. ;)

Spookyp-
You are correct--it is the 70 shot. I also have the Taitec H/E and RM intake. I use it almost every other time I drive. When I use it from a stop it really pulls hard. Not as much as a turbo, but it pulls. I am comparing this with my 1G Eagle Talon that is heavily modded. I don't race on the streets or track so I can't say I'm faster than xxx. But it is definately fun. I have been told by everyone not to use nitrous on an AT NSX but things have been good and I keep my fingers crossed. I got a great deal on the car and I love it. After I'm done with my residency maybe I'll upgrade the transmission, but for now I'll enjoy the extra power and accept all the redicule. I hate to admit it but people made me feel almost ashamed to have an AT NSX. Now I can hold my head up not because of the nitrous but because I just enjoy the car. I say enjoy it and love it. Sorry for going on.

Dont be sorry for going on! This has been the most useful exchange on the topic for me to date! If I lived near you, Id buy you a beer!

Ive contacted LarryB and have decided to go forward with the "NetViper plan"

CTSC, I/H/E as a stage 1...

Head to IPT and at least get a high performance torque converter as a stage 2...

Feel out the tranny given my typical driving habits and see if it starts acting up...

If something seems out of sort, head back to IPT for the full tranny build...

spookyp said:
Ive contacted LarryB and have decided to go forward with the "NetViper plan"

I wish you the best and I hope that works for you. I just drove a CTSC NSX last night.... man.. it is freaking amazing.

Thanks man! I plan on starting a thread in the FI section once the project is underway. Ill try to get some pics too...

spookyp said:
Thanks man! I plan on starting a thread in the FI section once the project is underway. Ill try to get some pics too...

You can pave the way. I am sure others will follow. I bet druby here in savannah would love to know how it works out :)

correct... auto has the old 3.0L engine

Back