Auto or Manual Trans?

Hi Everyone,I would usually always drive a manual car but today I have seen the best NSX I have seen in 4 months of looking.I test drove it today and was quite impressed.The NSX is a 93 model.What do you guys think of Auto's?

My advice, if you think you might be even the slightest bit sorry later, don't buy it. IOW, don't settle.

Also, I assume you've driven a manual for the experience. If not, DO IT!

Finally, keep in mind that resale values tend to be less for automatics (since they're not as desirable), if that's of any concern to you.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum!

[This message has been edited by PHOEN$X (edited 04 December 2002).]

Get out of that "gotta have this one" mode, and be critcal of your purchase. I personally would not have this type of car in an auto. When I drive my NSX, I drive it. I don't sip a latte or talk on my cell phone. That's just my .02 cents.

Resale value is less for automatics, but the depreciation rate may not be more substantial. IOW, you would buy and sell the car at a discount relative to a manual.

It may, however, take longer to sell an automatic.

This should be moot, though, if an automatic isn't what you want.

Good Luck

I thought you posted you bought it and the D is flashing. Not good.
There is nothing wrong with an Auto, all the MS's here will tell you otherwise.

I'm guess that I'm one of those 'social pariahs' with an automatic NSX (newly acquired). In short, I love it. Do I miss downshifting around a turn? On occasion, yes. Will I miss ultra-expensive clutch jobs? No. Will I worry about previous 'boy racer' owners shifting at redline? No. Will I ever have a potential snap ring problem? No. Do I hate start and stop traffic? No. Do I dread clutch wear on the hills around Seattle? No. But perhaps most importantly, do I worry about those minor differences in acceleration that everyone seems to fixate on? No...because I realized a long time ago that in the real world people don't usually shift as quick as those 'published' 0 to 60 times, but, ironically, an automatic can (and does) with ease. I say, if you like it, and it's in verifiably good condition go for it...

Thank's for all the advice guys.I am definatly in the gotta have it mode.Have thought about nothing else for three days.

Tony Montoya,I did do a verbal deal on the car yesrerday.The only thing what stopped me completing it was a flashing D light on the dash.The garage said it's a faulty speed sensor.If anybody knows any different your input would be helpfull.
Another thing that put me off was when I asked them to replace the cambelt when they give the car it's 6k service,they declined.It was just for my peace of mind realy.I would of thought that if I was spending £20,000.00 at a Honda main dealer that they would have done this to clinch the deal.But all I got was a big no!!

Thank's for settling my mind guy's.Think I will wait a bit more.

I would still go for the manual still. There are many NSX's out there that have been kept well and if you can resist the urge to buy now, you'll probably thank yourself later. For me, driving a manual tranny car adds to the experience and makes a car more fun to drive.

Originally posted by Dwright:
Hi Everyone,I would usually always drive a manual car but today I have seen the best NSX I have seen in 4 months of looking.I test drove it today and was quite impressed.The NSX is a 93 model.What do you guys think of Auto's?

I have an early auto and I like it, but I really miss the manual shift mode I had in my Eclipse. The auto in the NSX isn't as aggressive in down shifting or holding lower gears as I would like, though I've come to realize it is more aggressive once the engine warms up. Sometimes I've manually shifted it just to hold gears.

At this point, I think I would say get a 95+ auto if you are interested in high RPM driving and an auto.

And if you can drive a manual, definitely try one out before getting the auto. The manual transmission on an NSX is one of its highly rated features.

wink.gif
If there is even a "remote" possibility that you may want to take the NSX to a road course... hold out for the manual trans. The auto is a "cruiser" and if you never plan on tracking your car, you will remain happy. Once you take it to the track, disapointment will rear its ugly head.

As far a resale goes, I think there are exceptions. Automatic NSXs are alot rarer than the manual. There was a couple willing to pay a premium for a used automatic NSX that was in red/black at my local dealership. From what my service advisor told me, this couple have been searching for months for the perfect automatic car! There are exceptions!

------------------
2001 NSX-T
- Bilstein Shocks
- '02 OEM Wheels

I am definatly in the gotta have it mode.Have thought about nothing else for three days..

This is dangerous and I am sure that they know it. Be relax and IMO you must absolutely convince them that YOU ARE MAKING THEM A FAVOR in buying the car not the converse...

It is not everyday a dealer is selling an NSX... especially an automatic one.

Maybe you don't realize it but YOU have the advantage...

The only thing what stopped me completing it was a flashing D light on the dash.The garage said it's a faulty speed sensor.If anybody knows any different your input would be helpfull.

Doesn't sound great...

At least they should be able to warranty you cost free repair about this ( it must be written on your purchase contract... ) and being able to fix that "simple faulty speed sensor"! If it is that insignificant, why isn't it fixed yet????

Another thing that put me off was when I asked them to replace the cambelt when they give the car it's 6k service,they declined.It was just for my peace of mind realy.I would of thought that if I was spending £20,000.00 at a Honda main dealer that they would have done this to clinch the deal.But all I got was a big no!!

Thank's for settling my mind guy's.Think I will wait a bit more.

About the cambelt replacement ( if you mean the timing belt ) there is also a time factor, not only a mileage one. If they are really aware of selling a perfect condition NSX it should be replaced if needed...otherwise you got a real good point for a discount.

Overall it is like they don't seem to care about giving you a perfect condition NSX, so it is really wise to take it easy and IMO you should go for a manual one...and all they should got would be a Huge no from you!!!
smile.gif

Seriously, I do not want to take a decision at your place but I feel very uncomfortable with this dealer's attitude and it is not confidence inspiring. Looks like they want to make easy money...

Go for a manual one...unless you intend driving it most of the time in heavy traffic...

Good luck Dwright.

One day I will visit your country, and I hope it will coincide with a visit at Mc Laren Ltd. in Woking for my F1 buying...

Back