Authentic 2004 Type R for sale !!

I have a buddy in Dallas that knows a guy in Japan that brought an NSX-R to England several years ago. Very wealthy individual. The shipping arrangement included a stop in TX. The owner lives in Dallas and London w/ most of the time being spent in London. During it's undetermined time in the US, the owner brought it out to Motorsports Ranch and my buddy got to drive it around the track. Said the car had a very stiff clutch.

All of this is third party and I can neither confirm or deny it's veracity as I wasn't there. However, I have no reason to believe that he wouldn't tell me the truth. So I wonder if this specific example isn't the press car, if this is the one my buddy got to drive.

I'll ask him again if he remembers any specifics.

I had the pleasure to play with a few NSX-Rs in Japan. Lud, Ben and I combed the car bumper to bumper. All NSXs are great cars. The NSX-R is special but it is not THAT special that one could not match its performance by a few nice mods. In a way, the R is somewhat flimsy with thinner interior materials and a few panels. The clutch pedal is no stiffer than my NA2 coupe, or any NA2 Ts. Every NSX owner should just enjoy his/her NSX as if he/she is driving a NSX-R. Afterall, a plain NSX is really already 90% as capable as an R. It'll already take a REALLY good driver to squeeze out every drop of performance from the regular NSX. Having a NSX-R likely does not add much speed or driving pleasure over the NSX. Sure, Gan san can tell the differences but most are no Gan san. Afterall, the R has stiffer suspension that is less comfortable.
Steve

Last edited:
I was going to mention that, I mean, lower you na2's weight by 150-200 lb's, do some real bolt-ons and a proper more raw suspension + tires and you can be as close as a Type-R as you can get ...

Our cars when pushed right, can be surprisingly rewarding ,, and I can't even imagine FI ...

I was going to mention that, I mean, lower you na2's weight by 150-200 lb's, do some real bolt-ons and a proper more raw suspension + tires and you can be as close as a Type-R as you can get ...

Our cars when pushed right, can be surprisingly rewarding ,, and I can't even imagine FI ...

Agreed ^, I find that out everytime I take it out for a late nite thrashing!!! It never fails to delight! I would like it to have a little more rear end stick but it's probably balanced about as good as can be. I think though, as subtle as it is, the Dali racing sway bar I put on the front has made it just a little bit unbalanced - I feel like I need just a bit extra bite in the rear. I wonder if going from 245s on my 17" rims to 255s would help. I have 16s on the front and want to keep the 215s there. Coz told me you need 40 points of difference between front and rear and that would do it. Then I may just opt for the bilsteins on the lower perch but I'm still cogetating on that.

....but take a civic cx, add a turbo and you can make it faster than a NSX straight line. Everyone knows it's not too hard to match performance. It's just something about a special model that makes it intriguing.

Also Tbromley, your comment on why don't we get those kinds of models over here is an active topic from time-to-time on the Subaru forums. Cars such as the Impreza Spec-C we never got over here. The general consensus is that americans don't like to pay more for "less". Meaning why would they pay $10000 more for something that has no sound deadening, no stereo, less usable trunk, manual climate controls but has 1mm thicker sway bars, lighter wheels and a $3 Spec-C sticker. It's just not the american way. In my opinion the NSR-R would be a complete failure over here. Lots of hype but I don't think many people would spend the extra arm/leg.

One thing you can't duplicate - the balanced and blueprinted engine from the factory for the R! Funny that we get that kind of stuff from other manufacturers - ever heard of the Porsche 964 RS America? Well what they did to make it a little more palatable to the US audience was to offer the AC, stereo, electric windows, etc. as an option. So there are ways that really market wise manufacturers can sell cars like the R if they're thinking. Just one more thing that makes Honda the manufacturer you see today! They are just not quite with the true sports car thing anymore - and we all know it's just too damn bad - right!

....but take a civic cx, add a turbo and you can make it faster than a NSX straight line. Everyone knows it's not too hard to match performance. It's just something about a special model that makes it intriguing.

Also Tbromley, your comment on why don't we get those kinds of models over here is an active topic from time-to-time on the Subaru forums. Cars such as the Impreza Spec-C we never got over here. The general consensus is that americans don't like to pay more for "less". Meaning why would they pay $10000 more for something that has no sound deadening, no stereo, less usable trunk, manual climate controls but has 1mm thicker sway bars, lighter wheels and a $3 Spec-C sticker. It's just not the american way. In my opinion the NSR-R would be a complete failure over here. Lots of hype but I don't think many people would spend the extra arm/leg.

When I was researching to purchase my 05, I took a trip to Japan to visit some of those NSX exclusive shops. One of the NSX dealer in Japan had a NA1 Type-R with 30,000 km for 1.5 million yen. So 190k looks like a fair deal to me. However, the Japanese NSX market is really really really crazy. If you look here: http://www.carsensor.net/catalog/honda/nsx/. You'll find out that the used NA2 NSXs are priced higher than they were brand new.

1.5 million yen is all of ~$18K.

Don't know if I would spend that on a jap sports car, just my .02

I thought someone might catch this, but I was lazy to corrected it. I figure with the link I provided, most knew I meant 15 million yen, which is 180k.

I can't view the link so I saw "1.5 million yen" and thought ":eek: heck I'll just get a Type R!!!!!" :biggrin:

There have been more than a few R's to get out of Japan. About two, maybe three, years ago I was looking at a green NA1 in the UK. I think it was going for 40K UKP.

That car needs to stay either in the UK or Japan or wherever else there is rhd on the roads required. We've had long discussions about getting approved to have a car like that brought in. I'd be careful - but then - who's got the 190K anyway. :rolleyes:

If they had just made some LHDs then you'd have something - matter of fact - why the hell didn't they? Why is it that us LHD guys are left out?

RHD are Legal in Canada, but like you said "good to dream" price, if you ar ethe seller.

RHD are Legal in Canada, but like you said "good to dream" price, if you ar ethe seller.

Subtle nuance, RHD are legal in some Canadian provinces, Quebec for instance recently suspended the registration of imported RHD automobiles pending a study of the safety issues associated with RHD driving.

I just came across this NSX-R, at 800km it must be one of the most pristine examples in the world. This is what our dreams are made of. http://www.carsensor.net/usedcar/detail/CU0054261947/index.html?TRCD=200002

Back