• ***AVOID MARKETPLACE SCAMS!!***

Scammers are using compromised Prime member accounts to pose as a trusted seller in the marketplace. Before you enter into a deal with any seller, follow these tips to keep yourself safe. If you encounter one of these scammers, please report them immediately and we will lock their account.

Caveat Emptor!

Attention RM Exhaust Owners...

Has anyone had experience with repair/replacement of their RM exhaust?
I have had mine for about 5 years, since which Randy has decided to move on. Since mine now has a crack and is buzzing at resonant points and only getting louder, I am curious what options are available. I believe that they were built by B&B in Phoenix, and that they had a lifetime warrantee. But I am not certain of this. I would appreciate hearing from individuals who have pursued this route, assuming it is available, as I still love the exhaust and do not feel like getting a different style, especially if it is covered under warrantee. Thanks in advance.

If you are unable to get it replaced under warrenty perhaps you could take it to a muffler shop for repair? It would certainly be less expensive than replacing the entire unit...

Yeah it all depends how much if any you are willing to spend. I have had my RM DTM's for about 5 years now as well, but its still in good shape. however if it ever decides to crack, I might just replace them for another brand. i love the sound, but the low end resonance gets old after 5 years. :smile:

I had the RM exhaust on my first '94 NSX and it went bad....the muffler cracked open. I called B&B (Billy Boat) exhaust and they offered to remanufacutre mine. I sent the complete cat-back sustem and they rebuilt it to like new using all of the bends and tips. Since I wasn't the original owner and had no receipts, they charged me something like $500. It came back shining like with a brand new muffler. B&B manufactured the RM exhaust.

I was very happy with the remanufactured unit.

I was the original owner of a RM exhaust that developed a hole in the canister some 3 1/2 years ago. I sent it back to B & B and they replaced the canister and refinished and polished the exhaust to almost brand new. All no charge.
I then sold it. Good luck you you

Steven and SMYLDOC: Thanks for the input! I had the unit removed for $30 at the Midas shop, and will be sending it out Monday to B&B...
I don't know how they will handle it in this case. Larry, thanks for the input, but it the link does not address the repair of cracks, I believe only B&B can handle this, but in the meantime, I am having fun with the 'new sound'.
Smyldoc: are you a DDS also?

My B&B exhaust cracked and Greenlight Honda was able to weld and repair it. I was in contact with B&B and they said that if I had shipped it to them they would have done the same thing. But since you and B&B are both in AZ, sending it to them may be your best solution. Good luck.

On a side note, from my brief conversation with B&B I found them very customer friendly.:biggrin:

brickdds said:
Larry, thanks for the input, but it the link does not address the repair of cracks, I believe only B&B can handle this, but in the meantime, I am having fun with the 'new sound'.
Smyldoc: are you a DDS also?

Reread the post, Jerry at Greenlight had it welded, and I have done this on cracked exhausts too, my last weld repair for a crack was $33, not even worth sending it in the mail IMO.

HTH,
LarryB

I am no expert on this, but I assume the crack will certainly cause the exhaust volume to increase, but the resonant buzz is indicative of internals that are damaged or defective, but I could be wrong. At any rate it is off the car and will be shipped to B&B tomorrow. Thanks for all the help guys.

UPDATE:
The folks at B&B are repairing the exhaust for $400 plus shipping.
That will essentially give me a new exhaust.
They believe that the crack was caused by a backfire, I don't remember that but if so, I wonder why.
At any rate $400 is a crapload less than any new available design, and I really love the RM/B&B design.
Works for me.
Thanks guys

what i did was buy a borla 2.5 muffler and they cut off the RM muffler and welded the borla onto the RM pipes with tips..
love it..
only cost me $150 all together lol...

Last edited:
brickdds said:
UPDATE:
They believe that the crack was caused by a backfire, I don't remember that but if so, I wonder why.
At any rate $400 is a crapload less than any new available design, and I really love the RM/B&B design.
Works for me.
Thanks guys

Good to hear it was $400 for replacement. This seems reasonable for a new muffler. Mine will be shipped there soon! I may PM when I get my quote from them to find out exactly what parts they replaced!

brickdds said:
UPDATE:
Works for me.
Thanks guys
what happened to the lifetime warrentee? I am in the same boat I have a couple cracks on the pasenger side end cap of the cannister and anyone got the B&B PHONE NUMBER

I also had an RM exhaust crack on me. Although this was several years ago, randy honored my "lifetime" warranty and had it fixed for me, but I had to pay to have it removed and reinstalled plus pay for shipping from Oregon to Arizona. I remember reading other complaints about these B&B manufactured exhausts cracking open and I believe Randy even mentioned it was "too common". I think it was due to a type of stainless they used that was too brittle.

Loved the sound and I was happy with it ever since.

They look great, sound great, and are priced great. The older ones did seem to have a problem cracking though, I had the oval on my '91 and it cracked in a couple places. It was able to be welded no big deal like others have said...IMO $400 to reman doesn't seem worth it compared to the cost of a new one.

Back