Att store demo iphone streams video better?

So I've been tossing the idea of getting an iphone lately. When I have time, I'll go into one of the official Att stores and play with all their phones and the iphones they have on demo. I also conduct the same experiment with all the phones at the same time to compare.

What I do is, goto youtube.com and play the gtchannel spoon nsx r gt @ macau video. You know which one, where it crashes and fixes it right up over night. A good 7+ minute video. Anyhow, I'll play the same clip at the same time on all the phones.

My results show that the iphone's ability to play and stream video on youtube are SUPERIOR compared to all the other phones and blackberries etc.

I mean their demo iphone is fluid and SMOOOOOTH, like how it plays on my laptop.

However, the other night I was messing around with my bestfriend's iphone 3g. The same exact phone direct from att, NOT jail broke. I played the same video and it's choppy, all pixely the way all the other non-iphones played. It wasn't the same quality shown on the att demo model. It is the same gtchannel youtube video....

Has anyone noticed this? Maybe apple and att pump up the demo iphones???

I googled but found nothing so far.

I just realized something..... maybe it's because their iphones are set up to run on the wifi instead of 3g????? And the blackberries and all others are not?????

Environment sir. Don't forget at the store, to look their best, they will try to make sure their local wireless network is as good as possible so their products look as good as possible.

Once you take it outside, you are subject to any and all kinds of potential interference. You might experience slowdowns based on poor signal, competing signal, or just a glut of users in the local area.

Same concept as why in some areas certain service providers work better than others. In my neighborhood for example, At&t is a joke, while Verizon is king. While I have heard the opposite in other areas.

2 cents.

I just realized something..... maybe it's because their iphones are set up to run on the wifi instead of 3g????? And the blackberries and all others are not?????

I work for att and its the WiFi that makes the videos super clear. When you use the iphone on the 3g network the videos are not as clear.

I think one point to take from this is that it IS pretty cool that the iPhone YouTube client automatically pulls down the high bandwidth video if you are on wifi.

Youtube videos are not really the best way to benchmark the iphone IMO....

When you are on EDGE, most videos will be very pixelated as youtube automatically adjusts the bit rate of the videos to suit the connection speed so it doesn't take forever to download the video and view it.

On 3g it will be less pixelated and on wifi it will be pretty high quality. :)

Try switching between applications on the iphones in the store and your friends and see how that goes... like viewing SMS messages to mail to safari etc....

Actually, I'm being REALLY tempted by the blackberry bold. Just not sure what I want, iphone or blackberry bold. I like the iphone, just hate it being so locked down.

Actually, I'm being REALLY tempted by the blackberry bold. Just not sure what I want, iphone or blackberry bold. I like the iphone, just hate it being so locked down.

um, the iphone is the least "Locked down" phone there is out there dude..

You can unlock the 3g, and even the beta 3.0 software is unlockable, and jailbreakable, and you can load this thing called "mobileinstallation" that will allow you to load paid apps on the phone... not condoning this activity but its very easy to do even on the latest and greatest.... but of course there is a method to all this....

Find a 3g iphone on ebay... i just bought one for $375 and was able to unlock it... :)

Just to add a little bit to this.

If you decide to jailbreak the iPhone, you can install a program called MxTube. With this program, it will actually allow you to choose the quality of the video being played back (EDGE/3G or WIFI). Choose WiFi and you'll get the best quality no matter where you are at. You can also download/save the video for quick playback at anytime.

It's awesome!

--Conrad

Last edited:
That sounds pretty cool.

I also asked the att store about it recently. I'm told the iphone is connected through wifi while all the other phones are NOT, even if they have wifi capability. So that explains the video situation.

I'm gonna stick with my old phone for a while though. The $99 iphone deal and free blackberry bold deal is only for NEW customers, not customers like myself who have been with them for 10+ years.

Just get the damn phone. It will be the greatest phone you will ever own!!!

um, the iphone is the least "Locked down" phone there is out there dude..

You can unlock the 3g, and even the beta 3.0 software is unlockable, and jailbreakable, and you can load this thing called "mobileinstallation" that will allow you to load paid apps on the phone... not condoning this activity but its very easy to do even on the latest and greatest.... but of course there is a method to all this....

Find a 3g iphone on ebay... i just bought one for $375 and was able to unlock it... :)

That's hardly what I'd call 'least locked down phone out there', especially with Apple continuing to try to stop exploits and saying your warranty is voided. Grab any AT&T Windows Mobile based phone and you can install any app you like. This is one of the two reasons I won't buy an iPhone. The other is lack of hardware keyboard.

That's hardly what I'd call 'least locked down phone out there', especially with Apple continuing to try to stop exploits and saying your warranty is voided. Grab any AT&T Windows Mobile based phone and you can install any app you like. This is one of the two reasons I won't buy an iPhone. The other is lack of hardware keyboard.

yea right man... with a few simple software modifications, you can load PAID applications, unlock the phone, and load 3rd party custom applications to further increase the functionality of the phone... how do you call that locked down? Apple will never be able to lock us out of doing whatever we want to with these phones... Oh and windows mobile sucks ass.. :biggrin:

Does anyone have the E71x yet???

I still can't break down and get myself to buy an iphone.

I've narrowed it down to either E71x, Bold or Epix lol.

Last edited:
I am getting sick of T-mobile because they have no 3G BB phones and they don't even have 3G in Jacksonville yet. I would like to get a BOLD and run it on T-mobile, but the 3G won't work. :(

I might have to switch to AT&T, but then I have to decide between a BOLD and iPhone.

Back