Aspirator fan fix

mine didnt make any sounds all it did was waste 12V power.

so I removed it threw it away
it is useless inless you use auto mode
and even then its kinda pointless if your fan speed is set to medium

I say unplug it and be done with it.

SOS doesnt have the cut out in their console for a reason.

being anal comes to mind.

Hey you can do that with your home thermostat, the wife just spends too much time fiddling with it and its a eye sore on the wall so just toss it in the garbage and be done with it. I am sure your HVAC unit can figure out what it needs to do with out it. :rolleyes:

wasnt tring to upset anyone BrianK LOL

I was just saying that the thing is useless.

My AC blows Ice Cold. since I never have it on Auto/FULL mode it was
a few ounces of weight saved after i removed it.

just sayin.

wasnt tring to upset anyone BrianK LOL

I was just saying that the thing is useless.

My AC blows Ice Cold. since I never have it on Auto/FULL mode it was
a few ounces of weight saved after i removed it.

just sayin.

So if you are weight conscious, why did you add the NAV and other stuff?

I think it is ridiculous to remove a fan, designed by Honda to be part of your system, because it weighs two ounces.

the weight thing was a joke

man tough crowd today.

I to had a rough weekend.

no worries

Just thought I would bump this. If you are having any issues with the aspirator fan, this is the fix.

I removed mine, disassembled and cleaned it. I loosened the jam nut, lubricated the point of the shaft. Then reconnected it to the electrical connector. Don't reinstall it in the dash front piece yet.
Turn on the key and climate control, slowly tighten the small screw until the fan runs smooth, snug the jam nut. You may have to do this a couple times since tightening the jam nut changes the pre-load on the fan shaft.
Brad

Last edited:
If it's clean I would try a little 3 in 1 oil on the bearing first. My fan was clean, but still made noise so I tried a tiny drop of 3 in 1 oil rather than playing with the locknut, which worked great.

I'm going to need to do this at some point but the thought of tearing apart my dash really scares the hell out of me (15 year old Honda plastic). I'll wait until the late spring 2016 when the plastic won't be so cold and brittle.

If it's clean I would try a little 3 in 1 oil on the bearing first. My fan was clean, but still made noise so I tried a tiny drop of 3 in 1 oil rather than playing with the locknut, which worked great.

Having done the aspirator fan fix, I have two observations to raise about your suggestion. The first is that the aspirator fan motor looks like its a low torque pancake style motor. 3 in 1 is sae 20 oil and as such is fairly viscous and is probably more suitable for larger motors like furnace fan motors and the like (1/4 hp or larger). A more suitable oil might be the oils used by the model railroad guys for lubricating the motors in their model locomotives. The second is that accumulated 'crud' is the primary cause of the dreaded aspirator fan clicking. Oiled surfaces have a nifty way of collecting dirt. If you decide to lubricate the bearings, less is better in this particular case, otherwise you may be repeating the fix sooner than expected.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm going to need to do this at some point but the thought of tearing apart my dash really scares the hell out of me (15 year old Honda plastic). I'll wait until the late spring 2016 when the plastic won't be so cold and brittle.

I did the fix on my 2000 NSX without breaking anything. The hardest part was popping out the parts without scratching the dash surface. The service manual shows a screwdriver with a cloth to cushion the dash. I used two layers of wide heavy masking tape along the edge of the dash plus the cloth, just in case I slipped. Definitely wait until the temperatures are warm. I suggest at minimum 20 C.

Having done the aspirator fan fix, I have two observations to raise about your suggestion. The first is that the aspirator fan motor looks like its a low torque pancake style motor. 3 in 1 is sae 20 oil and as such is fairly viscous and is probably more suitable for larger motors like furnace fan motors and the like (1/4 hp or larger). A more suitable oil might be the oils used by the model railroad guys for lubricating the motors in their model locomotives. The second is that accumulated 'crud' is the primary cause of the dreaded aspirator fan clicking. Oiled surfaces have a nifty way of collecting dirt. If you decide to lubricate the bearings, less is better in this particular case, otherwise you may be repeating the fix sooner than expected.

- - - Updated - - -

I did the fix on my 2000 NSX without breaking anything. The hardest part was popping out the parts without scratching the dash surface. The service manual shows a screwdriver with a cloth to cushion the dash. I used two layers of wide heavy masking tape along the edge of the dash plus the cloth, just in case I slipped. Definitely wait until the temperatures are warm. I suggest at minimum 20 C.

I probably agree on the oil, but it's what I had on hand at the time and I was in a rush to button it up. I also used a drop stuck to the point of a needle. It wasn't difficult to do so I have no problem taking it apart again to clean, if necessary. I'll be taking the dash apart again anyway to add some gauges so I'll probably redo it then. I used pieces of soft plastic putty blades that I cut up and use for all sorts things. Buy them in any auto parts store in the paint and body repair section or at HD.

Last edited:
Thank you. It worked perfect. I gave your instructions to my NSX master tech. He followed them and the fan is super quiet. Acura has the replacement part on back order with no restocking date. AND it costs about $500. THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

Back