Aspirator fan fix

I finally dug in and fixed the infamous aspirator fan. In fixing it, I think that I found a new way to make it stop that obnoxious noise. The first step in pulling apart the dash was helped a lot with previous posts where a driver's license was used to release the air conditioning vent clips. This was the most nerve wracking part of the whole process.

After pulling out the aspirator fan I found that the fan did have a lot of gunk built up in the bearings and housing. I cleaned it all out, reassembled it and tested it before putting everything back. The bad news was as many others have posted - it still made the same rattling sound as before!

That's when I noticed an adjustment screw right behind the temperature sensor. It had an inner screw with an outer lock nut. To get at it, you need to gently pry off two star washers (like the ones used to hold kids toy wheels on). This separates the assembly into the sensor part and the fan part. Now you can get at the adjustment screw while it's running - very important to be able to do this. I then plugged the fan assembly into the connector in the dash and loosened the outer lock nut - a 1/4" socket fit it best (non-metric in a Japanese car?). Then I tightened the adjustment screw until the fan stopped running then backed it off a tiny bit (just like adjusting a bicycle axle). Tighten the outer lock nut and reassemble. The star washers are the toughest to get back on - I used the 1/4" socket to push it on.

It's so quiet, I kept checking to see if it was still turning. A great way to save a $400 part!

I'll try to attach a picture of the adjusting screw. This picture is after separating the fan part and the sensor part.

Attachments

• fanadjust.jpg
    fanadjust.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 2,654
Had mine apart a couple of weeks ago, the inlet was completely packed with crud, hair and fuzz mostly. It was also noisy and I tried to loosen the lock nut with out disassembling it but no luck so I just greased each end of the shaft and it quieted right down. Will see how long it stays quiet.

I know this sounds stupid but I thought if you could hear it running then that was good. Granted it is just a gentle whirring sound nontheless. I will certainly take it out now and clean it up though.
Thanks for the tip and suggestion.

Taking mine out next week-end...
Sounds like a turbine spinning up... only missing the smell of kerosine
:cool:

Just fixed mine, too.
Thanks for posting this.

While the dash console was open I lubed the gear shift lever with some synthetic chain lube -- Shifts like a dream now :)

Does anybody have a part number for the aspirator fan? I can't seem to find it in the parts catalogs online. I can find the console, cigarette lighter, etc, but no fan.

I'll take another stab at silencing mine (already tried just a lube job but will try adjusting the screw) but it'd be nice to know the part number just in case :-)

I'm bumping this because recently my fan defied a fix and mocked Larry and I with a return to insesant buzzing:rolleyes: so I got a new replacement...but what I wanted to let you all know is that Larry's supplier said mine was the last new unit in the US as of 3 months ago, so take heed and learn how to repair these pesky critters....

Had mine apart a couple of weeks ago, the inlet was completely packed with crud, hair and fuzz mostly. It was also noisy and I tried to loosen the lock nut with out disassembling it but no luck so I just greased each end of the shaft and it quieted right down. Will see how long it stays quiet.

It lasted about 3 years and got noisy again. Removed it and did the proper adjustment and it has been good ever since. I have also done this for several other NSX owners. http://nsxe-repair.com/aspirator.html

I did mine 3 years ago. I did not adjust the screw (could not get the star washers off) but I cleaned all the gunk out and lubed the tip of the fan axle with teflon/moly grease. It has been completely silent ever since.

I'm bumping this because recently my fan defied a fix and mocked Larry and I with a return to insesant buzzing:rolleyes: so I got a new replacement...but what I wanted to let you all know is that Larry's supplier said mine was the last new unit in the US as of 3 months ago, so take heed and learn how to repair these pesky critters....
I would have thought a little buzzing would have been appropriate for the bee :wink:

I would have thought a little buzzing would have been appropriate for the bee :wink:

lol...I guess I want a mute bee...except for my gtlw...that is a much more pleasing sound.

I have been told the a/c will run fine if the fan is unpluged.
The new console from SOS does not even have a place for one to mount as they usually just unplug the aspirator fan. Honda over engineering is what chris said.

does it help to keep the fan from getting gucked up if you vacuum the front sometimes (without taking it apart?)

does it help to keep the fan from getting gucked up if you vacuum the front sometimes (without taking it apart?)

Can't hurt. With my '91 I was able to completely quiet the noisy fan by hitting the vent holes with compressed air and following with a shop vac which sucked a nice chunk of fuzz through the vent. On the '95, no so lucky, it needed some TLC. Opened up the fan and found a fuzzball wrapped around the shaft. Cleaned it up and put a tiny drop of oil on both ends of the shaft, now it's totally silent. Did not need to adjust the bearing. Finally, I can cross "fix NSX aspirator fan" off my bucket list.

Last edited:
What I did was load it up with wheel bearing grease and its been dead silent for years.

Thanks for this post. When I got, my nsx there was this ticking/whirring sound coming from my console. I finally had the time to remove the fan to clean and adjust the bearing. Silence is golden...until the engine starts. Then high revs and exhaust tone is king.

mine didnt make any sounds all it did was waste 12V power.

so I removed it threw it away
it is useless inless you use auto mode
and even then its kinda pointless if your fan speed is set to medium

I say unplug it and be done with it.

SOS doesnt have the cut out in their console for a reason.

being anal comes to mind.

mine didnt make any sounds all it did was waste 12V power.

so I removed it threw it away
it is useless inless you use auto mode
and even then its kinda pointless if your fan speed is set to medium

I say unplug it and be done with it.

SOS doesnt have the cut out in their console for a reason.

being anal comes to mind.

Wastes 12V power? That fan probably draws 1 watt, like a small computer fan. Perhaps by leaving your A/C fan on medium, you are using more 12V power than using "auto" on climate control which will often leave your main fan on minimum.

Back