Are Paddle Shifters less fun for the street?

Thought I'd post something to see how others feel about this.

Personally, I think they're great on a race car, when quick shifts help to win, but there's just something about the feel of a foot clutch and a standard shifter that increases the joy of driving for me.

I tried out an SMG M3 and was totally hopeless with it. However, I was amazed at the performance it had when I switched seats with an Italian who could drive one. Weeeeeeeeeeee blib blib blib blib as he went through the gears.

Afterwards, I hopped back into my NSX, low and sleek, still happy there's nothing sedanish about it. And drove away more like Whaaaaaaaaaaaa, click pause, whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, click pause, whaaaaaaaaaaa....
love the notchy feeling from a good solid shift as opposed to flicking a limp switch.

When the day comes that the new NSX arrives, if they decide to tech it up with paddles, hope they offer an optional regular type standard with a shifter knob that I can push around.

I've driven the 360 with the paddle shifters and the 6 speed. I can not stand the F1 style paddle shifting. It's not smooth in traffic if you're trying to get going slow and smoothly. It jerks if you drive it too easy. Once you're going, it's fine, but boring. The manual is just fun to drive. I like it much much more.

Maybe on a track the F1 shifting has an advantage, but if I wanted to buy a sports car for the street, I'd get the 6-speed.

I feel the same way as you. My dad has the maserati with the paddle shifters and it just takes the fun out of it. Theres nothing like getting a perfect heel toe downshift to brighten your day.

Im personally love the true manual trans but the paddle shifters are OK. Im driving an SMG m3 and my room has a 6 speed M3 and he never pulls away from me. Ive driven the 360 F1 and found it very enjoyable. I like the fact that you have shift gears with your foot completely down on the the throttle. :biggrin:

NSX-Racer said:
What the hell has this discussion to do with "General NSX discussion/stay on topic!"???

Please read the rules before you post - this belongs to "Off topic" or maybe in "car comparisons".

He did say "When the day comes that the new NSX arrives, if they decide to tech it up with paddles, hope they offer an optional regular type standard with a shifter knob that I can push around."

That makes in General NSX discussion :smile: Don't be such a hard a$$!!

I've yet to drive a car with paddle shifters...however I think I'd prefer the clutch. It just gives you more of a feeling like you are in control of the car. You decide what gear to be in, you can engage the clutch at any time.....and downshift 2 or 3 gears..... just more control. i used to drive my old automatic vette like it was a manual. Just go from 2nd up to 3rd then Drive. Not as fun as a manual, but better then the auto it was... :smile:

I've own/owned/test driven :

Lexus GS 400 with sterring wheel switches. Boring. Too slow to shif and didn't let you push it. It would prevent downshifts if you were too high in the RMP's, not just redline.

Chrysler Prowler - The drive stick worked very well. A little slow, but you could work with it. Plus you had complete control of shifing except when you forced red line.

VW Phaeton - It's got the selector on the shifter, never use it.

05 Boxster - They was actually surprisingly good. Quick and complete control.

My point ... each implemention is different with various comppromises. But give me a stick anytime.

There is a big difference between a automatic with manual control and a true sequential gearbox.

Sounds like SMG is what needs to replace automatics - so you have SMG and manuals. With it around is there any advantage to a traditonal auto? Cost perhaps?

ky650 said:
Sounds like SMG is what needs to replace automatics - so you have SMG and manuals. With it around is there any advantage to a traditonal auto? Cost perhaps?
Unclear if it would cost any more/less, particularly with the right production volumes. The main difference between an auto-manual SMG type tranny (or Ferrari F1, Maser Cambiocorsa, etc) and a traditional shift-able "slushbox" is that the former retains the efficiences of a true manual, without any of the parasitic losses of the torque convertor components in the auto.

An interesting emerging alternative is the DSG (direct shift gearbox) technology that Audi is offering in some of its cars. Seems to maintain all the mechanical advantages of the F1/SMG, but has the smoothness of the traditional automatics.

Back