Approached by a C6 Corvette/NSX owner today

nsxsupra said:
I have to agree with this point. The gentleman is about my dad's age, super nice but I can only see the Vette in his eyes.

Its actually 400bhp:wink: , which is approximately 335~350rwhp. With basic bolt on E/H/C it will be well over 400rwhp:frown:

I think they look good especially in Black, Blue, white. While they are common, I honest can't think of too many nicer brand new cars that cost under $50k. I would take a C6 over 350Z, EVO, STI anyday.

The gentleman mentioned he paid $43k.

Thanks for the correction! he

I don't know if I'd go as far to call the Corvette a good "bang for the buck". Look at the price you pay, and the quality you get.

AndyNSX said:
I don't know if I'd go as far to call the Corvette a good "bang for the buck". Look at the price you pay, and the quality you get.

The Z06 is the best bang for the buck on the planet, the C6 isn't far behind.

You bought a viper and you are talking about quality?

We often trash other sites because they say crap about NSX's when most don't know what they are talking about. Funny how we do the same thing here so often.

I think you misunderstood my post. Yes, the Z06 is a wonderful "acceleration bang for the buck". The general term "bang for the buck" means that you are getting a great product compared to the price you pay for it. Having body panels fall off, transmissons break, plastic body, fisher price interior etc. etc...is not what I would consider great value for a $70,000 car.

If you want to talk about my viper, the quality and reliability was better than the Z06 that I owned before it, but it still left a lot to be desired for compared to Japanese / German cars. Yes, quality is important to me, thats why you see (sold) in front of the viper in my signature.

AndyNSX said:
I think you misunderstood my post. Yes, the Z06 is a wonderful "accerleration bang for the buck". The general term "bang for the buck" means that you are getting a great product compared to the price you pay for it. Having body panels fall off, transmissons break, plastic body, fisher price interior etc. etc...is not what I would consider great value for a $70,000 car.

If you want to talk about my viper, the quality / reliability was better than the Z06 that I owned before it, but it still left a lot to be desired for compared to Japanese / German cars. Yes, quality is important to me, thats why you see (sold) in front of the viper in my signature.

Did you have a C5 Z06 or C6 Z06? Sorry if I misunderstood.

No problem, I think different people think of "bang for the buck" in a lot of different ways.

I had a C5 Z06, which I only owned for 5000 miles. It was always having issues, rattles. The Viper RT/10 was actually trouble free for the first 30000 miles I owned it believe it or not, then only a few minor issues. The removable top was designed extremely poorly, always letting wind in, making noise, couldn't store in the car-one of the main factors in selling it. Needless to say, I am happier with the NSX than anything I've previously owned by far.

nsxtacey said:
no wonder he didn't want to race, thats an automatic, u would have won

The new 6-speed auto's are pretty sweet. It is a shame Honda didn't throw a 6-speed auto into the NSX in the final years with the full 290HP.

Last edited:
In this case I was saying "bang for the buck" meaning performance for the price. It can mean different things to different people I guess, but I always think of performance, and not value or other features. I do not think saying an Acura RL is a good "bang for the buck" car because of the features and luxury, I would say it's a good value for the money. Also, people love friggin Elises and other cars that are not exactly high water marks of quality, just like the Corvette, because of the numbers that they can put down on the track. Hell a NSX is not a good "bang for the buck" car if you buy one new, but I think they are a better car than a C6, it's just that the numbers do not reflect that. To me good "bang for the buck" cars would be C6, EVO, STI, MX-5, and to a lesser extent cars like the Elise and Viper (as they offer great #'s on the track compared to most other cars in their price range).

If you're talking about bang for the buck, you'll totally get floored when the '08 Nissan GTR is released. Z06 pricing, Porsche 911 Turbo-crushing power, Japanese quality. I am in line for one.

:cool:

Oyagi said:
If you're talking about bang for the buck, you'll totally get floored when the '08 Nissan GTR is released. Z06 pricing, Porsche 911 Turbo-crushing power, Japanese quality. I am in line for one.

:cool:

Has there been anything concrete with regards to performance/pricing? I have heard the $70K /faster than a 911 around the 'Ring rumors, but not much that is really direct from Nissan.

Shumdit said:
Has there been anything concrete with regards to performance/pricing? I have heard the $70K /faster than a 911 around the 'Ring rumors, but not much that is really direct from Nissan.

Last I read they still had not said if it was going to be a V6 turbo or a V8.

I doubt this car is going to have "911-crushing" power regardless of the powerplant.

NetViper said:
Last I read they still had not said if it was going to be a V6 turbo or a V8.

I doubt this car is going to have "911-crushing" power regardless of the powerplant.

I have read a number of "rumors" suggesting it will be a Twin Turbo V6. I might say 911 crushing (possibly), but not necessarily agree it would crush the Turbo variants (GT3, GT2 included).

Here are the latest info from my sources (and I have good sources):
-bored VQ 3.6L TT engine developed by Cosworth
-twin IHI bb turbos
-Chassis developed by Lotus, exclusive to the GTR, though infiniti might use it for a future supercar some time afterwards
-stock 20" wheels
-7 speed sequential tranny with paddle shifters
-curb weight under 3500 lbs dry
-ATTESSA awd (electronically controlled awd, rwd biased)
-No Super Hicas 4WS

The design is pretty well a done deal and will look like the GTR Proto that was revealed at last year's Tokyo Motor Show

They are very tight lipped about most facts, and are carefully getting this car ready for world release in late 2007 as a 2008 model. It will be at the cusp of Nissan's motorsports program for the next 5-7 years. It will exceed the performance of target cars that exists today (Z06, 911 Turbo, F430, etc) as well as pending future offerings from Honda and Toyota (both are currently working on supercar projects).

-John

I should also add that they plan to have this car come to showrooms at a price comparable to the Z06 (minus the dealership markup!)...

Spent nearly one month roaming california. Even drove from colorado through vegas to california to get there. The count? ABUNDANT C6's, that el camino looking thing, porsche 911's, but ZERO NSX's. The vette seems cool, but too damn many of them!

nsxsupra said:
He than asked "have I ran against Porsche 997s in my NSX". I replied yes. I didn't mentioned my runs against C6s at Irwindale speedway and Dynoxtreme. That would have been mean, I did gave him my prime nickname. I can tell he is more than super happy with the C6.

Great photos and write up. Thanks for sharing.
My question is, how does your car with the 3.0 supercharged motor do against C6's on straightaways, and 997's ?

Oyagi said:
Here are the latest info from my sources (and I have good sources):
-bored VQ 3.6L TT engine developed by Cosworth
-twin IHI bb turbos
-Chassis developed by Lotus, exclusive to the GTR, though infiniti might use it for a future supercar some time afterwards
-stock 20" wheels
-7 speed sequential tranny with paddle shifters
-curb weight under 3500 lbs dry
-ATTESSA awd (electronically controlled awd, rwd biased)
-No Super Hicas 4WS

The design is pretty well a done deal and will look like the GTR Proto that was revealed at last year's Tokyo Motor Show

They are very tight lipped about most facts, and are carefully getting this car ready for world release in late 2007 as a 2008 model. It will be at the cusp of Nissan's motorsports program for the next 5-7 years. It will exceed the performance of target cars that exists today (Z06, 911 Turbo, F430, etc) as well as pending future offerings from Honda and Toyota (both are currently working on supercar projects).

-John

Sounds great, but I still highly doubt it will touch the cars mentioned in performance - especially for $65K.

BUT, if it does, I am buying one! :biggrin:

Modernceo said:
My question is, how does your car with the 3.0 supercharged motor do against C6's on straightaways, and 997's ?

Funny you asked this question, C6 was what I used as a general benchmark expectation for the CTSC prior to installation. I have a lot of respect for the C6. 997S only have 355bhp, however its straightline performance is same as the more powerful 400bhp C6.

I have ran against bone stock C6 on both dragstrip and street, no problem. The regular 325hp non S 997 is not a problem what so ever. I do not have any actual run with 997S yet. I would imagine the 0~60mph probably the same. Then I should have the edge from 60mph and up. 997S is definitely no joke. The C6 with basic bolt ons will beat me.

I only have been SCed for 2.5months, so my experiences is still limited, I
almost never initiate runs. I have been defeated a few times by other more powerful cars as well, I have no problem with that at all. Usually the more powerful cars pull away from 60mph and up.

My nsx running CTSC at 7.5psi is making approximately 410~420bhp, 300lb ft of torque (12% drivetrain loss from dyno #s). Car weight approximately 2900lbs (very conservative estimate). Tire/wheel combo is lighter than the oem 15/16 wheels.

Here are some videos of my nsx and other cars, for a rough comparison
2~3rd gear acceleration 50mph~120mph
0~60mph run, run starts 7sec into the video, took off without even a proper launch, depending on your stop watch, 0~60mph in 4.0sec~4.33sec
0~60mph with no launch

Similar in car acceleration videos of other cars:
C6 Z06

515rwhp SVT Cobra running 10+psi SC

Mercedes AMG E55

BPU Supra

E60 M5

C5 Z06

NetViper said:
I used to think like you, until I saw the resale value on the 05's. They are STRONG.

Give it a few more years grasshopah :biggrin:
Heck you can get a C5 Z06 for the price of a clean 91 NSX, the C6 pricing will be down there in several years :wink:

Nsxsupra, I work with several German car fanatics...C55 AMG, 996 TT, 645Ci, 996 C4's, Cayman etc...This 997 wants to run me :biggrin:
e8016546.jpg

spartan2-3 said:
Give it a few more years grasshopah :biggrin:
Heck you can get a C5 Z06 for the price of a clean 91 NSX, the C6 pricing will be down there in several years :wink:

Nsxsupra, I work with several German car fanatics...C55 AMG, 996 TT, 645Ci, 996 C4's, Cayman etc...This 997 wants to run me :biggrin:
e8016546.jpg

It is interesting because the 05's are still going for what I can get a 07 for with the GMSD. The Z06 resale vaule is acutally higher than MSRP on new cars. Infact, GM raised MSRP by 5K for 07 because the demand is there. It was not that way with the C5 - at least not that I recall.

If we are compaing a CTSC NSX to a stock C6 for performance it is not exactly apples to apples. A C6 can get a procharger for 5K and put 500+RWHP down.

As for racing a 997S, they are a lot faster than a NSX, but I think the CTSC should be faster. It will be very close. The 997S is a lot faster than I think it should be with only 360HP. I wonder if it is underratted.

I would like to see that race.

I wish Honda had put a 3.5L 350HP motor in the NSX in 2002. It would have been a really sweet ride and easily compete with the 997S.

Hothonda said:
The C6......Talk about a major depreciating asset! Last year a friend was looking at a new '05 and the negotiations started
at dealer invoice and went down from there.

I'm not sure what the resale value is anymore, but when I sold my C5 in 2000 it had one of the highest resale values of any car that I have ever owned. Of course there was not as many of them back then too. :smile: Mercedes is the worst by the way.

Back