Approached by a C6 Corvette/NSX owner today

I was approached by a C6 Corvette owner who also have a NSX this afternoon.

As I was leaving, sitting in the NSX, turned the key and started the engine, a red car pulled really close next to me and greets me in such excited tone. I turned my heand and looked at the car from inside of NSX in such short distance. At first I thought its a Viper SRT-10 in Copper from the previous incident at CC. Then I come to realize it is a red car. I looked outside of the window scan through front and back, and realized that it is a C6 Corvette.

The gentleman asked "did you bought the car from Texas recently?" I said "no, I bought it in Costa Mesa 3 years ago". He said he also own an NSX:confused:. He didn't talk much about it though, other than that he paid $34k.

I am also a C6 fan so I step out too check out his C6 and told him he got a very fast car, 400bhp/400lb-ft of torque in stock trim. He replied, yes it is very fast, it will top out 180~190 mph, very much will handle anything on the street. Got incredible top end.....etc.....

He than asked "have I ran against Porsche 997s in my NSX". I replied yes. I didn't mentioned my runs against C6s at Irwindale speedway and Dynoxtreme. That would have been mean, I did gave him my prime nickname. I can tell he is more than super happy with the C6.

He then popped the hood and showed me the C6 6.0L LS2 motor. And allowed me to sat inside the C6, I was quite impressed. It looks like it got a door handle, but its actually not a door handle, you click and press, the door opens. To open the door from inside you press a button similar to the trunk button on NSX. The seats are very comfortable, sitting position also feels like a sports car. Head up display was cool, the digital display shows tire pressure, and all temperatures, no need for aftermarket gauges, cup holder that holds a super size drink, decent stereo. The material of interior is not bad for an American car. The car is an automatic, still rated at 400hp.

The C6 seems quite solid, with many little gadgets, powerful motor, would make a great daily driver or weekend car.

2.jpg

1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

btcog82 said:
What does a C6 go for now adays? I was considering a lotus for a second toy, but maybe I need to focus a lil' more on this C6...???!!!...????

Coupes generally range from 48-56, convertibles from 53-66. :wink:

The C6 definitely has good straight line performance. I really could never warm up to the styling (Definitely a few notches down from the C5) or all of the plastic, fake aluminium etc..

I just don't find the C6 to be that fun. Its the same reason I picked my NSX over a 996TT/997. I find this car to be a more fun car to drive.

Thats one quality you just can't quantify... it will never show up in specs.

If I wanted a daily driver, I'd get something more comfortable.. more of a GT car than a pure sports car. An Aston DB9, a Mercedes CL coupe, a BMW 6 for example... No need to jarr my teeth loose in a cramped 2 seater for daily driving.

AndyNSX said:
The C6 definitely has good straight line performance. I really could never warm up to the styling (Definitely a few notches down from the C5) or all of the plastic, fake aluminium etc..

While the C6 is good in a straight line, it is also very fast around a track. In fact, it is faster than a 997S around a track according to I think Motor Trend. Which would probably make it faster than a NSX. Of course, there is no head to head of these cars anywhere. The Zanardi NSX outhandled a C5, but the C6 is a pretty large improvement. I would wager the C6 Z51 is faster than a NSX with equal drivers. I could be wrong.

Personally I like the styling of the C6 over the C5, but the NSX is a better looking car without question. The NSX interior is also better, but the C6 is a HUGE improvement over the Cavalier quality C5 interior. Oh FYI, The C6 won some awards from JD Power this year for quality.

Could the C6 be better? Sure it could, but at $50K, it is a hell of a deal.

Last edited:
Any newer corvette is fast and they for the money the car is a great buy.

I still love the nsx over a corvette any day but I would not mind having a corvette as another toy to have. :smile:

^^Yup. I cant see myself driving one, but stock for stock there is little doubt which car, the NSX or a C6, is going to outperform the other (by a wide margin I bet).

And the interior of the C6 isnt too bad either.

But the NSX is still #1 in my books.

I think the C6 is a great "bang for the buck" car, although it is missing something in the feel of it compared to the NSX. The Z06 I have not driven, but maybe another 100 HP would cover that!:biggrin:

Corvettes have definitely progressed and improved over time. The back of the C6 looks too stubby like they chopped it off too soon. It is a very nice sports car, nonetheless.

The C6......Talk about a major depreciating asset! Last year a friend was looking at a new '05 and the negotiations started
at dealer invoice and went down from there.

Hothonda said:
The C6......Talk about a major depreciating asset! Last year a friend was looking at a new '05 and the negotiations started

LOL... I forgot that aspect... certainly true.

I would probably be more into the vette if I didn't see 10-15 per day on the way to work and back.....

Bleh ya it's nice to have 400whp..but who wants an automatic corvette...oh well. I'm not too big on the c6's interiors, they look so plain..and it's made out of creme cheese and we're not even talking philadelphia.

Hothonda said:

I used to think like you, until I saw the resale value on the 05's. They are STRONG.

the vette is a great car for the money...a bang for the buck! but i just couldnt stand driving a car that i couldnt drive more then a 1/4 mile and see atleast a few of them! they deffinetly have great performance outputs but as far as the make and quality iv never been impressed, to me its an american piece of plastic and fiber glass.... sorry, i just always see the steroptypical vette owner, some slick back middle aged guy that thinks the vette is gods gift and he's gods gift to women.

Jeez,

I live in Northern new Jersey, tavel about 30-40 miles round trip each day to work and I hardly ever see ANY....... :confused:

Of course I don't think I've ever seen an NSX around here :wink:

dlynes said:
sorry, i just always see the steroptypical vette owner, some slick back middle aged guy that thinks the vette is gods gift and he's gods gift to women.
I have to agree with this point. The gentleman is about my dad's age, super nice but I can only see the Vette in his eyes.

SFMarine0311 said:
Bleh ya it's nice to have 400whp.
Its actually 400bhp:wink: , which is approximately 335~350rwhp. With basic bolt on E/H/C it will be well over 400rwhp:frown:

I think they look good especially in Black, Blue, white. While they are common, I honest can't think of too many nicer brand new cars that cost under $50k. I would take a C6 over 350Z, EVO, STI anyday.

The gentleman mentioned he paid $43k.

my1stnsx said:
I agree!!! Their everywhere!!

It must depend on where you live. I think I have seen maybe 4-6 in Savannah in 2 years. I have probably also seen about 5 NSX's here in that time.

I would guess in a large city they would be everywhere, just like P-cars.

They are increasingly common here. I have only seen 2-3 Z06's here, but the normal ones are what I would consider nothing that makes me take notice any longer. Unless you are a car nut, you likely would not notice a Z06. I think resale values are holding up better than the C5, but I think at the end of this year you are going to see that start to slide. Dealers actually have been "holding the line" on pricing for new ones, which has propped the used resales up accordingly, but now that dealers are whoring them out in force I think the prices for the preowned market will start to fall.

Back