Apple and BMW...

http://www.apple.com/ipod/bmw/

Very cool.

I've been holding off on the Dennison unit for my MINI because I heard a rumor about this.

Now all we need is for Apple to work with Honda next. And that might happen!

:D

-Jim

:D You are such a loyal Apple user Jimbo.

How about Jonathan getting iRiver to work with Acura/Honda??? Now I'd be very happy with that. Oh wait... those are fighting words! :D

peace. ;)

Nah, those aren't fighting words. Support for iRiver doesn't negate support for the iPod. The more the merrier.

It's just nice to see such a close direct alliance between the two companies.

Having the direct connection means I can control my iPod directly from the buttons on the back of the steering wheel.

Very cool.

-J

I hope it works with more than just apple. That would be reason enough for me not to get a bmw..

That is slick. It’s about time someone came up with something other than the hack of cigarette lighter adapters, FM modulators, and cassette adapters.

They say you can listen to one of the 5 BMW playlists or your entire library. One downside seems to be that you will need to setup your BMW playlists at home on iTunes. Another is that I doubt there is a user-friendly interface to play from your entire library (other than just play randomly). Maybe down the road they can work on duplicating the iPod interface on the navigation system’s screen.

Still, very cool. I’m sure we can look forward to similar interface devices in the future. Perhaps once standards are in place, these interfaces will work a number of devices, not just iPod and not even just MP3 players. Considering the 2004 Acura TL already has HandsFreeLink, I can see how this would be a possibility.

For those of us without BMWs, Alpine’s iPod-ready interface kit looks promising.

Attachments

• alpine-ipod-ready.jpg
    alpine-ipod-ready.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 196
First the Beetle, now the Beemer. When will the madness end??

new_bettle.jpg
btn_hero.gif

NetViper said:
I hope it works with more than just apple. That would be reason enough for me not to get a bmw..
:D:D:D

I guess you can always install the audio system from a BMW/MINI into your car...

:D

-J

PS: The VW - Apple promo was kind of lame. No real integration. Just a cup holder mount. But at least VW provides an aux input.

Back