• ***AVOID MARKETPLACE SCAMS!!***

Scammers are using compromised Prime member accounts to pose as a trusted seller in the marketplace. Before you enter into a deal with any seller, follow these tips to keep yourself safe. If you encounter one of these scammers, please report them immediately and we will lock their account.

Caveat Emptor!

AP-X NSX turbo system (angus turbo kit)

Re: DIY Turbo kit !

No one came to take pictures last weekend. Once my car is complete I will have someone local do it and post some pics. Frank

Frank , take the pics and email to me , I'll post them.

Wil, I will be calling you in a few hours to make my final order on the rest of the parts I need, intercooler is mounted. It is amazing the way that you and Shad communicated, the intercooler is a perfect fit to your charge pipe. Guys like I have stated many times before this kits fits perfect. I can't tell you how it runs yet, but from other members post it sounds like that is top notch as well. Frank

Thanks for the compliments Frank , Shad is a great person to work with. I can't wait to see how your kit looks with all the parts polished / ceramic coated.

msged again .. hopefully this time it'll work :cool:

msged again .. hopefully this time it'll work :cool:

Dan , I hope you will bite the bullet soon and turbo your car , you have been wanting this for a while now.

Dan , I hope you will bite the bullet soon and turbo your car , you have been wanting this for a while now.

we will know very shortly :cool:

Just placed the last order a couple days ago with Wil for the few parts remaining that I need to complete my kit. I would say we are 3 weeks away from tuning. :biggrin: Shooting for 400 hp. Thanks, Frank

Latest to get a turbo kit - yoojeankim ! Your kit should be ready by next week , hope you can get it installed right away so we can see your hp#'s Dan!

Latest to get a turbo kit - yoojeankim ! Your kit should be ready by next week , hope you can get it installed right away so we can see your hp#'s Dan!

Great news Dan! Can't wait to get a ride when your finished. May convince me to drop more cash in the X:mad:

thanks angus ! i know it took me awhile to finally get them funds :cool:

Frank - was great that you called me , when i saw that area code i was thinking "oh no not another sales rep" but it was a very nice/informative nsx member helping me and answering all my questions (made me realize how great nsxprimers truly are) thanks again

dawk - our altitude really kills the beauty of our NA nsx's... thats been my opinion since i bought one. Im so anxious i keep thinking about it. :biggrin:

Is it possible to run just water rather than methanol?

Cheers,

AR

You can run water , a lot of people also run windshield washer fluid , it has to be the kind with 50% alcohol , NOT glycol , this stuff sells for less than drinking water.

I want to make it really clear that methanol is NOT mandatory , it is an option to increase power and safety.

Tuning set up for next Tuesday. I have decided to keep the boost at around 5.5lbs for now which matches the springs in the waste gate and the BOV.

I will run the Meth. as another layer of protection to avoid detonation etc. rather than pushing the boost higher because of having it.

I updated my web page to add a few pics and will probably put together a how to slide show at some point.

Rich

Rich,

Can you confirm your BOV spring? This should not be matched to your WG spring, rather, it should be matched to your peak vacuum reading.

In my case, I am running a -12psi spring on my tial BOV, with an 8psi WG spring.

Regards

Rich,

Can you confirm your BOV spring? This should not be matched to your WG spring, rather, it should be matched to your peak vacuum reading.

In my case, I am running a -12psi spring on my tial BOV, with an 8psi WG spring.

Regards

While this is true on a mass air flow car (to keep the bov closed at idle) , on a speed density application , it really does not matter as long as they are in the same range so the bov will not leak under boost.

Last edited:

While this is true on a mass air flow car (to keep the bov closed at idle) , on a speed density application , it really does not matter as long as they are in the same range so the bov will not leak under boost.

It will work, but it is not ideal; the correct sizing for the BOV spring, to prevent a vacuum leak, is not related to your boost pressure. The fitting on the end of the BOV is what keeps the valve from leaking boost when under pressure, the spring is matched to your vacuum level.

The emphasis on keeping the BOV closed on MAF cars is to smooth out the idle, this doesn't mean a vacuum leak is not also a problem on cars which idle fine, it just means it's not as noticeable under partial or WOT.

To verify your spring level try watching the BOV to see if it actuates when the car is being run on the dyno; if it's a tial BOV, it should be easy to make sure there is no significant leak, as it will be readily visible. If your spring is dramatically off, simply revving the car at idle will cause the valve to actuate and create a vacuum leak.

WHy do the turbo kits come with a magnaflow exhaust mostly?

I have never seen anyone having fitted one on a na car- an aftermarket exhaust seems to have everyone making their choice quite meticulously, and there seems to be great diversity in choice- why is it so simple with turbo, ie everyone uses magnaflow?

Is it a good exhaust?

PS7

I have never seen anyone having fitted one on a na car- an aftermarket exhaust seems to have everyone making their choice quite meticulously, and there seems to be great diversity in choice- why is it so simple with turbo, ie everyone uses magnaflow?

Is it a good exhaust?

PS7
Cant run a big turbo and expect it to breath freely with 1 of those expensive spaghetti looking exhaust.Exhaust gasses need to come out without having to do 100 loops and turns 1st.

Is it a good exhaust?

PS7

Magnaflow is a good exhaust, it has a nice sound, and flows well.

One of the concerns with nsx turbocharger layouts is you will only have one exhaust source, the 3"+ downpipe, while most people prefer a dual exhaust layout - the solution to this is the 'Camaro' style muffler, which has a single inlet, with dual outlets - magnaflow produces a full 3" version of this layout in stainless steel, at an attractive price.

With NA cars, there is a large variety of options, because people are looking for a better sound - there is minimal flow difference between available exhausts, limited power difference, but a large variety of sound pitches and decibel levels. On an nsx, with a turbo, and a magnaflow, the result is a pretty quiet system.

On my nsx, I removed the magnaflow in favor of a 3" y-shaped system with two small glass packs installed - I did this to produce a more-aggressive sound:

turbo4.jpg

alleykat said:
Exhaust gasses need to come out without having to do 100 loops and turns 1st

This is true on turbo applications before the turbo; you want short headers, a nice quick entry into the turbine to improve response and reduce lag. After the turbo it's less important, but still a concern, as with any car.

Actually , on any turbo application , any backpressure after the turbo will impede the flow of exhaust through the turbine wheel , in turn slowing spool time.

As far as the bov being open at idle , on a speed density car (like the nsx) it makes no difference whatsoever , it is not a vacuum leak .

For the nsx , you could run any spring in the BOV , as long as it opens when you lift the throttle.

Is it a good exhaust?

PS7

With this turbo kit , the magnaflow is standard , the borla is optional . the main reason is these are the two companies that make the transverse muffler layout , dynomax makes one too but it is low quality IMO , as scorp said , the problem with the turbo nsx is that it only has one outlet that needs to be split in two .

If you look at my earlier pics , you can see that I did make another exhaust with burns stainless mufflers.

I think that the magnaflow is just a decent solution - simple and effective. If you are looking for something more aggressive or high HP application , there are other options - more $$ too

just got to comment that angus has SUPERB customer service.

Thanks Dan! , your kit went out to you today , please le me know what you think once you see it!

I met up will Will at his shop late last week and he showed me his car.:smile:
We went for a short drive in his turbo nsx and all I have to say is
WOWWWWWW!!!!!!
I thought my buddies new BMW M5 and my old E55 was fast but the turbo NSX really impressed me.
I can't wait till I can get my hands on a turbo Kit from him and take on my buddies M5...lol (on the track of course)
keep up the good work and I will let you know when I am ready to get one installed from you.

Back