AP brakes

sup all i was looking at buying a 99 nsx it had Ap brakes 4 piston on the front and rear i believe i did my research didnt' find anything but they are quite respected i wanted to know much this setup cost and the labour thanks guy the person is using the brakes as a thing to increase the cost of the car t

thanks everyone

Quy

I need to phone AP to get a price for their full kit... i know some members are after this.

If you don't mind holding on i have a second hand kit for sale in the coming months.

6 Pot Front, 4 Pot Rear, 330mm discs (strap drive) incorporating Brembo handbrake mechanism.

All done by AP Racing in the UK a few years ago, no bodging. Other kits on the market are old tech.

I will also have available 6 pot AP caliper as used in the Le Mans GT1 car next year. They are the daddies. Come with 355mm discs. Not for road use...

cool thanks for the help guys, i dont know if ap has different levels of brakes on the sos website there is only one option its the 4 piston one and thats the one on the car, i have brembos on my 350z from the factory and it would be nice if my future nsx would have nice brakes :)

AP brakes are one of the best brakes you can get. they are real race car applications and are used in nascar also.
the price of the brake kit depends on which model and level they are.

check out www.scienceofspeed.com to see how much they sell their kits for.

you can also refer to some used calipers on ebay.
I'd have to argue Performance Friction "PFC" is the best stuff you can get :wink: and THEY are in NASCAR, won ALMS, LeMans, Grand Am, 24 Hours of Daytona, Champcar, Atlantics, JGTC (IN AN NSX) two years in a row, etc... :biggrin:

Don't get me wrong. AP has some of the best products out there, just not the 'best brakes you can buy' ;) And you should be stoaked on your AP system on your car!

Hmm, PF are more well known for their pads than full kits. AP is used for the majority of F1 teams, F3, DTM, BTCC, Le Mans and Super GT too...

Ultimately Brembo are the biggest brake company in the world, and they own AP Racing. There are certain pads and discs that suit different types of car, but when it comes to caliper technology nobody has more money or resources available to them.

and it would be nice if my future nsx would have nice brakes :)

I dont know, but Id say that the brakes on my 02 are really good. Id put them up against the stock brembos on a 350Z all day long. Not saying that theyre better, but the stock brakes on an NSX ARE nice. They dont say Brembo on them though, if thats what you mean by nice :wink:

(also used in nascar, IRL, blah blah blah. they make liquid cooled rally car brakes also)

fact of the matter is, all of them make awesome brakes - so long as you have a sponsored race car budget. i'm sure every big manufacturer has the same bragging rights (used in all racing organizations; won ___ championships....)

btw, i think SoS's AP kit replaces only the front calipers, while keeping the stock RR nsx brakes. apparently it's very well balanced tho.

I'd have to argue Performance Friction "PFC" is the best stuff you can get :wink: and THEY are in NASCAR, won ALMS, LeMans, Grand Am, 24 Hours of Daytona, Champcar, Atlantics, JGTC (IN AN NSX) two years in a row, etc... :biggrin:

Don't get me wrong. AP has some of the best products out there, just not the 'best brakes you can buy' ;) And you should be stoaked on your AP system on your car!

The Only reason PFC are on Cars in Most of those Championships are because the Series Rules dictate so, Or the Chassis Manufacturers have a Exclusive deal to keep costs down. (Champcar, Atlantics & Panoz ALMs are built by Elan/Panoz) PFC just put in the Cheapest bid for the Contract.

The Only reason PFC are on Cars in Most of those Championships are because the Series Rules dictate so, Or the Chassis Manufacturers have a Exclusive deal to keep costs down. (Champcar, Atlantics & Panoz ALMs are built by Elan/Panoz) PFC just put in the Cheapest bid for the Contract.
Hmm, I could have sworn Atlantics were built by Swift down the street from me in San Clemente :wink:

Hmm... I don't know if its a spec caliper manufacturer for champcar or atlantics... could be. But I wonder how they got on a championship winning JGTC car, ALMS (not just Panoz cars), Grand Am prototype/GT/GS cars, a lot of the Nextel cup and lower NASCAR series cars (they're not on all the cars)....:confused:

Nice theory though.:smile:

whrdnsx used to work for a Champcar team, and is now with ALMS. He probably is correct.
I'm not 100% sure, but he is probably right about Champcar and Atlantics -since they are pretty much spec series now -all the same chassis, motor, etc...

But as far as JGTC, ALMS, Grand Am, NASCAR Nextel Cup (and lower levels), none of those series have a 'spec' brake system. Some people use Alcon, AP, Brembo, PFC, etc... Again their is no mandatory caliper unlike a spec series which (like he said -and i dont disagree) that won the bid and require their products on all the cars in that series.

Which Champcar team and now ALMS team do you work for?

FYI - Sort of on topic, but in this month's issue of Automotive Design & Production, There is a good article about AP Racing. It has to do with rethinking its entire approach to caliper design, developing what it calls the "Radi-Cal" caliper, which is expected to provide superior performance to the existing caliper design of the competitors.

If may scan if anyone is interested.

Cheers

I'm not 100% sure, but he is probably right about Champcar and Atlantics -since they are pretty much spec series now -all the same chassis, motor, etc...

But as far as JGTC, ALMS, Grand Am, NASCAR Nextel Cup (and lower levels), none of those series have a 'spec' brake system. Some people use Alcon, AP, Brembo, PFC, etc... Again their is no mandatory caliper unlike a spec series which (like he said -and i dont disagree) that won the bid and require their products on all the cars in that series.

Which Champcar team and now ALMS team do you work for?

I worked for Dale Coyne racing for 2 Years & RocketSports for 2 Years.
This year I worked for Panoz GTLM.

Don't know what rules are for Nascar, Don't care really

I haven't worked in Grand Am for a while but when I was Building the DP's almost everything was Spec. Including Brakes.

I'm not putting down PFC, In actual fact I think some of their products are better than the other manufacturers. (ie Floating Rotor bobin design is the best design I've seen)

I just don't think their Caliper's are better than AP's or Brembos. in my experience.

I have PFC Rotors & Pads on my NSX. Calipers are Brembo.

FYI - Sort of on topic, but in this month's issue of Automotive Design & Production, There is a good article about AP Racing. It has to do with rethinking its entire approach to caliper design, developing what it calls the "Radi-Cal" caliper, which is expected to provide superior performance to the existing caliper design of the competitors.

If may scan if anyone is interested.

Cheers

No need to scan...

http://www.autofieldguide.com/columns/1207euro.html

T.J.

I haven't worked in Grand Am for a while but when I was Building the DP's almost everything was Spec. Including Brakes.

I'm not putting down PFC, In actual fact I think some of their products are better than the other manufacturers. (ie Floating Rotor bobin design is the best design I've seen)

I just don't think their Caliper's are better than AP's or Brembos. in my experience.

What was your role on DC and RS as well as Panoz? Was that team PTG-Panoz?

Their are a few things that are spec for DPs but brakes definitely aren't one of them. Heck, their are different chassis, engine, transmission, and brake manufacturers for the DP field... Their are parameters to follow, but not 'spec' for many components...

What was your role on DC and RS as well as Panoz? Was that team PTG-Panoz?

Their are a few things that are spec for DPs but brakes definitely aren't one of them. Heck, their are different chassis, engine, transmission, and brake manufacturers for the DP field... Their are parameters to follow, but not 'spec' for many components...

Yes, It is probably the case now for DP. was 2002 when I helped build the first Ford/Multimatic DP.

I was a Crew Chief/Outside front Tire changer at DCR.
Lead Mechanic/Outside Front Tire changer at Rocketsports.

I have Brembo Gran Turismo's and need new rotors. Where can I purchase PFC rotors in the US?
Thanks,
Ryan

AP brakes are one of the best brakes you can get. they are real race car applications and are used in nascar also.
the price of the brake kit depends on which model and level they are.

check out www.scienceofspeed.com to see how much they sell their kits for.

you can also refer to some used calipers on ebay.

Science of Speed is where I get most of my stuff, great site.

I have AP Racing's on my Supra. Plan to do the same with the NSX

The best brakes i have encountered were the AP Racing setups on my brothers Lotus V8 350 Sport. It may have been the precise balancing but the car's braking potential was phenomenal. The rotors held up for a very long time. In comparison to the standard V8 Brembo package, it was night and day where the APs were far superior all around. i know this doesnt apply to the NSX but just stating it for reference compared to the infamous Lotus Brembo setups. However the pads and fluid used were factory so these may have been the limiting factors between the two. Rotors for the APs were indeed lighter than for the Brembos utilizing the same dimensions.

Back