Anyway to brighten up the instrument gauge cluster?

I'd pull the cluster and check continuity on all the bulbs in the cluster. As pointed out by Drifter, check the ones above too.
If you have one or more blow it will start looking dim.

Better yet, does anyone have instructions on taking the dash cluster out? Thank you.

I've looked everywhere and still can't find a single picture of someone's updated LED gauge cluster.
People who have done this, can you post a picture please.

The problem with LED is you may not be able to dim it. My car is an 05 and I find the cluster dim

I rarely drive the NSX at night. When you do get nailed by the authorities, maybe you could point out the hard to see gauges, and they would cut you some slack.:apathy:

I have my passenger hold a led flashlight aimed at the dash at night.

Doc after 10 years your yellow accents have grown on me.

a busted clock tells perfect time twice a day.Everthing is cyclical my car was fodder for bad taste jokes back when the car was still new...now look.... you like a the juice...

An indirect way to boost dash lighting is to install polished aluminum trim rings around the gauges. I just did this and I was really surprised by the new "bling". I actually had to dial the rheostat down!

The problem with LED is you may not be able to dim it. My car is an 05 and I find the cluster dim

Correct.

LEDs without an internal control circuit tend to go from fully off to fully on once the forward voltage of the diode is achieved. Increasing the voltage above the forward voltage of the diode (turning up the rheostat) may result in a slight increase in brightness. Get the diode voltage too high and it goes up in a puff of smoke. If you want to regulate the brightness of a LED, you need to pulse width modulate the supply current (essentially turn it on and off really quickly) which introduces a whole new level of complexity into a 'simple' retrofit.

Last edited:
An indirect way to boost dash lighting is to install polished aluminum trim rings around the gauges. I just did this and I was really surprised by the new "bling". I actually had to dial the rheostat down!

that's very interesting, increasing the brightness by reflecting light instead of getting brighter bulbs.did you get the sos ones? i have seen those on their site in the past,but looked today and didn't see them.

They are the SoS bezels but no longer produced. I got mine used on Prime and there seem to be some around for sale. Post in the WTB forum

thanks-how hard are they to install?

Last edited:
thanks-how hard are they to install?

Not bad. Getting the cluster out is more of a pain than it is difficult. There is a good how to video in the DIY forum. If you have an aftermarket steering wheel it is easier but doable either way. Getting the OEM rings off is easy to do with a small jeweler type blade screw driver - you can just kind of pry them out from the rear. I used silicone to bond the new rings in place.

I have a set of rings I haven't installed.... I maybe will update to LED and do that at the same time.

- - - Updated - - -

Dimming is not that important because it's already dimmer than a Kardashian at a physics convention.

I second that. I keep mine at half brightness at night with the cluster rings. If you really want brighter looking dash lights buy a new car.:tongue: Our cars are such old tech, enjoy it.

Back