Anyone with near-death experiences?

Could be anything, not just related to being inside a car.

The closest I got was when I was in my H.S. swim team. the entire pool is always covered with strips of tarp at the end of the day and removed first thing in the morning. The way it's set up is that the strips are laid on the surface right next to each other. So it's not just one whole piece. There are cracks in between each strip. There were probably a dozen strips used to cover the pool and were placed/removed one by one.

Well, I was early one day and decided to swim underwater while the tarp was still on. I didn't want to wait. Guys did this all the time for fun. They routinely swim underwater from one end to the other with one breath. If you can do this, you were the SUPER STUD MAN--even moreso if you went deeper down to the bottom floor. In the event that you run out of air, just stick your head in the cracks between the strips.

So I took a deep breath, held it and went for the other side. The pool is 25 meters from one end to the other. I was doing well until a little more than halfway, I started to run out of air. I thought, no big deal, just find the surface. I stuck my head up expecting to take a breath shortly but was denied by the tarp. Wide-eyed, I started to panic. To give you a visual on what this feels like, imagine being underwater in a frozen lake at dawn! I tried pushing harder to create a pocket of air underneath the tarp but that was a no-go.

It was 6am during winter and it was dark under there. Nobody was around when I went in the water. I started to feel light-headed. My lungs felt like bursting from lack of oxygen. The only thing I could do is paddle away frantically. Then I heard people talking above and behind me. I couldn't yell for help. I figured if there were people standing around the edge of the pool deck then a wall must be nearby! I followed the voices. And with the last bit of air in my lungs, I found the crack! I stuck my head out and inhaled a gallon of oxygen. People didn't even notice me. They were too busy laughing and talking. I sat there by the wall with my arms folded and forehead resting against the concrete. I've never felt so alone and so helpless.

I watched them take the tarp out and proceed with practice as if nothing happened. I never bothered telling anyone because I felt so stupid. Never again.

Whew! That was long. What's yours?

Thats a scary feeling. I have been shot 3 times in 3 separate incidents. No vital places hit. But wouldnt wish that on anyone. 1 time was deliberate, the other 2 were wrong place wrong time scenarios. Talk about bad luck. Makes you grow wiser to the saying:

"Live by the sword, die by the sword"

Hi

Not a near death experience but it felt very weird:

I was hit by a car when I drove my motorcycle back in 1993.

In the hospital I got a lot of drugs to ease the pain. Not sure if anyone know Petidin, Thoradol and Katogan but I got them all :)

The drugs made me fly out the window..well it felt like that when I closed my eyes and the colors and mountains was beautifull.

When I opened my eyes I could not feel the bed under my back and it also felt like I stood on the wall.

After that experience I have no trouble to understand that people see things that are not there when on drugs for one reason or another.

My dad visited me right after this experience and just shook his head and said "have they put money into you again"..meaning they had pumped me up with drugs again :)

Regards

Not nearly as dramtic as any of the above, but I have been involved in a few accidents and been hit by a motorcycle.

I don't remember much else about my childhood, but I have vivid memories of a near drowing experience as a toddler. My uncle and aunt (I was living with them then, long story) took me along with their own kids to a public (hot) bath, and left me alone for a few minutes. Somehow I fell beneath the water, which was heated and bubbling so it felt like I was in a boiling pot. I think I breathed in some water, but was pulled out before I fell unconscious. I had nightmares about drowing for years until adulthood, but for some reason I never developed a fear of water (or swimming).

you asked for it (long)

13 years ago (age 37) I had a heart attack, and thus began my yearly stress tests at the cardiologist. Ten years ago, after completing the stress test (level 5) 7 minutes into recovery (waiting while being monitored for heart rate to go to normal) I had a tachycardia (heart rate to 250), and then went to a V-fib arrest (flat line). My MD hit me 3x with the paddles, the police showed up and started to fill out my death certificate with my wife, the EMT's showed up and hit me 2 more times (the entire time I was being given oxygen) and I came back. I was flat line for 10 minutes (all the while on the ekg so they have the tape). I then was transferred to the hospital and ultimately ended up at Montefiore, where EPS studies were performed, I had a quadruple by-pass, and an implantable defibrilator was placed in my abdomen. I just had the 3rd one placed inside of me 3 weeks ago. None of them have ever gone off, I work out at the gym 5 days a week, I play tennis 2x a week, am on a strict diet (if you like it and want it, you can't eat it), and am the luckiest person that I know. They say you only live once, in my case, thank G-d that's not always true. Life is good, enjoy it, we will be dead a long time, it's how you live your life that really counts!!!

Hike the canyon.

Closest I've ever been to death was when a buddy and I hiked down the Grand Canyon from the south rim to the river... and back... in one day (with a fairly late start)... clothed only in shorts and a t-shirt... without water. That's nine miles down, nine miles up. We were young and stupid, but my buddy was Navy-trained and in much better shape than I. We separated on the way up, and he made it out OK. The hike up was brutal -- I was so exhausted I could only manage five or ten steps before I had to rest. It became overcast with occasional showers, and after the sun went down it was almost pitch black. The only light source was from the lodge on the north rim. At the 3 mile house I called up to the ranger for help -- but they talked me through and convinced me to keep on it. Still clothed in only shorts and a t-shirt, I was wet, freezing, and completely exhausted, but I pressed onward. At the 1.5 mile house I wanted to call again, but I couldn't find the phone. It was absolutely black of night, and I had to feel my way around the shed looking for the phone, but I never found it. I slept awhile on the floor, and then awoke (still in darkness) and pressed onward. At around 3:30am, I finally reached the south rim. I then realized -- I had no idea where my buddy was staying. I stumbled into the lodge, my shoes completely encased in mud and mule piss, and summoning all the dignity I could muster, calmly ask the desk clerk for my buddy's room number.

The next day we drove to Vegas. I drank two gallon jugs of water en route, and didn't pee any of it out.

Well, it was an incident that still send shivers up my spine every time I think about it.

I was in high school and I car pool with my neighbor. He was a senior and I was a 15 year old sophomore.

1 day for some weird reason I just didn't want to wake up and go to school. I pretended I was sick and my mom bought it.

Woo hoo! No school!

That morning my neighbor got into a serious car accident. The passenger side was totally ripped away. The seat that I was suppose to be sitting in was totally demolished. :eek:

If I did not pull that stunt to skip school I would have been instantly killed that morning...

Shiver... shiver....

Re: you asked for it (long)

RPM217 said:
13 years ago (age 37) I had a heart attack, and thus began my yearly stress tests at the cardiologist. Ten years ago, after completing the stress test (level 5) 7 minutes into recovery (waiting while being monitored for heart rate to go to normal) I had a tachycardia (heart rate to 250), and then went to a V-fib arrest (flat line). My MD hit me 3x with the paddles, the police showed up and started to fill out my death certificate with my wife, the EMT's showed up and hit me 2 more times (the entire time I was being given oxygen) and I came back. I was flat line for 10 minutes (all the while on the ekg so they have the tape). I then was transferred to the hospital and ultimately ended up at Montefiore, where EPS studies were performed, I had a quadruple by-pass, and an implantable defibrilator was placed in my abdomen. I just had the 3rd one placed inside of me 3 weeks ago. None of them have ever gone off, I work out at the gym 5 days a week, I play tennis 2x a week, am on a strict diet (if you like it and want it, you can't eat it), and am the luckiest person that I know. They say you only live once, in my case, thank G-d that's not always true. Life is good, enjoy it, we will be dead a long time, it's how you live your life that really counts!!!

I HAVE to ask. Bright light at the end of the tunnel?

RyRy210 said:
That morning my neighbor got into a serious car accident. The passenger side was totally ripped away. The seat that I was suppose to be sitting in was totally demolished. :eek:

If I did not pull that stunt to skip school I would have been instantly killed that morning...
On the other hand, maybe if you had been in the car he wouldn't have gotten into an accident! ;)

Joel, what promped you to ask this question? I have had several close calls, but here aer two:

When I was an Infantry officer in Viet Nam we were ambushed one day and I was shot in the chest. (That being one of three of my being shot) It was the strangest experience in the world. I remember being hit and then everything went into show motion. I was knocked backward and as I was falling I could see the sky, the clouds, and everything. It was really wierd. In reality it took seconds, but in my mind it lasted minutes. Everything was in slow motion. I remember landing on my back, or in reality, my back and sholders. I could see the dust coming up and it seemed liked minutes as the dust moved about me.

What really pissed me off was that I had just gotten a new uniform with all of my new patches in place. We would usually spend 30 to 45 days in the jungle and then be sent in for a day to get a shower and and a new uniform and boots. I sat up and started checking my uniform and bitching about bullet holes in it. Everyone in my group was yelling to me to get down so I wouldn't get hit again.

On another occassion, I was driving down the street about a mile from my home. It was a great Saturday morning and the weather was fantastic. Two lane road and driving about 40 in a 35 zone. All of a sudden, an older lady turns into her driveway in front of me and I T-BONED her. I broke my neck, all of my ribs, my arm, and lots of facial injuries. Since I worked in the healthcare environement, I had lot of my buddies take care of me. What was most troubleing was that one of my doctor friends explained that they really thought it was great that I made it through the crash to begin with. ( The dash came back 14 inches into the interior) It really was remaracable that I would not be a quadipurlic (sp) and the was no reason in the world why I sould not spend the rest of my life in a wheel chair with a bag on my lap. It was also the same type of situtation, very slow motion. I don't know if I said, "Oh shit" of if I thouth, "Oh shit", but that was what went throught my mind as I hunkered down in my seat prior to the crach. Again, it seemed like a long time, and was in reality a split second.

In reality, I have always said, I am the luckiest guy in the world. I have had a fantastic career. I am married to the most fantastic person in the world. I have live all around the world. Companies have paid me stupid amounts of money to work for them, but I always remember how luck I am to have been in those situtation where my life was on the edge.

Doug

I was hitt by a car twice as a youngin....both times i walked away with only black n blues.I was also involved in a multi Car accident on a three lane road . I was in the fast lane about to pass a tractor trailor when the car in front of me decides he need to get off at the next exit and cuts the truck off....this causes the truck to jack knief into the center divier block me in .... i hitt the cab of the truck right where the gas tank is. .... this sparks off a chain reaction and several other cars collide across the three lanes .... 5 cars in total involved... this shuts down the highway for three hours and makes the news..... i walk away with a cut on my forhead....they take my father away on a stretcher...and he cant feel his legs. he spends the next 8 months in physical therapy and is lucky to be walking again. As for the driver who caused the accident he just drives away ... i ask the police what happens if they catch this guy and they say not much...that they could only give him a ticket for a illegal lane change. Ok enough about that... last one i had was a few years ago...my friend and i decide to go jetski during a storm with these girls....it wasnt too bad as we started out .The swells were about 4 to 6 foot high .. my passenger is riding in back while my friend decides to ride his pasenger in front for obvious reasons ...both jetski's belong to me but my friend is a new rider with only a few months experience from the last season.Well to make a long story short ...we loose sight of each other in the bay because the swells are getting higher now and while i was coming across one he comes up across the front of my jet and hitts me and my passenger....she suffers a broken arm while i had three broken ribs and internal injuries ... i was caughing up blood so we rush into the marina after getting back to the jetski and my friend rushes me to the hospital ... they work me up fast and keep a watch on me ...... Intensive care unit for 8 days and four weeks in the hospital ... they finally let me go home. The doctor said i was lucky to be alive. Three broken ribs,callapsed lung and lacerated liver.....i didnt think id ever be a 100% again. I thank god everyday for not letting me perish in those choppy waters off city island that day.

Re: Re: you asked for it (long)

Joel said:
I HAVE to ask. Bright light at the end of the tunnel?

Don't remember a thing, this happened at 8:30 in the morning, the next thing I distinctly remember is waking up in the hospital at 12:30 in the afternoon. I didn't see a light, didn't float, and Shirley Maclaine and I have never discussed it!

About 8 years ago I was in I-95 South heading home from the Thruway Diner with my best friend. It was raining and visibility was low.

I passed an 18-wheeler on the left, then proceeded to the middle lane (3 lane highway).

About 5 seconds after I moved to the middle lane, a car driving in the WRONG DIRECTION ON I-95 flew passed us in the left lane.

My friend and I just looked at each other..................... weeks passed before we even spoke about the incident.

Great thread!

It was about 10 years ago, I just got a 300Zx and my best friend had a 3000GT VR4. We had a couple of drinks, and were heading to meet some friends in a different town. Naturally a race was going to happen on the back country roads!!!! I took off first, and he passed me at around 120 or so. I was pissed that his car was faster than mine! There was a stop sign coming up. I knew the roads better than him, so when he stopped for the sign, I rolled the sign, and passed him seeing that it was clear. I knew there were twisties ahead, and I figured I could out handle his heavy VR4. Sure enough, I was pulling away. I came into this sweeper, and I hit the brakes and my ass end stepped out (at around 115mph) I countered, but ran out of road. I just held on, and closed my eyes. I felt a few bumps and then a few sec later the car stopped. I am like cool! I didn't wreck my car too bad whew. I noticed I was in the front yard of a house in the grass. I figured I better get the hell outa here fast. I drove and got stuck in the ditch. I got out of the car, and thats when I realized what had really happened. I rolled my car. Every panel was toast. The glass t-roof was gone. the back 3 windows were gone! The passenger window was gone! I DID NOT HAVE MY SEATBELT ON! I found out after further review, that I snap rolled the car on the road. I was drivers door down vertical as I slid through the gravel at the roads edge. It continued to clear the ditch and landed on the roof in the grass. I came out of my seat and ended up with grass stains on my back of my shirt! I hit the back of my neck on the t-bar (my only scratch) and when the car flopped back onto the wheels I landed in my seat again clueless.
Thank God. I could have easily been ejected and died, or seriously injured. I realized after that to take the racing to the track, and use safety equip.

When I was in high school (as now) I enjoyed driving the back roads. One night I went out with a couple of girls and let one of them drive my Dad's 91 Honda Accord. We were rocketing down a straight two-lane doing about 95-105 MPH, when the road suddenly disappeared as if we had fallen off of a cliff. The speed limit on the road was 45 MPH, and it had a rather abrupt and steep descent, unbeknownst to us. We were airborne for about 20 feet and probably got about 3-5 feet off of the pavement. The car landed in the opposite lane of travel, skidded for about 100 feet, and came to rest on the shoulder. The resting place was a few feet from some rather large trees, and the road dropped off about 30 feet on either side of the shoulder, no guard rail. Had we encountered a car going the other way, we would have been in a world of hurt at best, as with hitting a tree or falling off the road.

We were very lucky to walk away with four flat-spotted tires and paid homage to that spot for several years thereafter.

2 experiences. One was my fault, one wasn't.

1) I was involved with a married woman (bad boy!). We were at her house while her hubby was away at hunting camp. He came back early, and walked into the bedroom where his wife and I were. We heard him coming and I rolled off the bed and onto the floor. His exact words were "Caught ya". I was freaking, but he was referring to catching his wife naked in bed (we hadn't done anything yet). She coaxed him into the shower, which gave me time to get dressed and get out of the house, and enjoy a nice four mile run back to my car. I honestly thought I was gonna die. This was about 5 years ago. That woman is now my wife. I guess I went about getting her the wrong way, but she approached me first. She says she is thrilled to be out of that relationship (which was VERY emotionally abusive), and into one much more loving and stable. I figure when i get around to picking up an NSX, she'll never be able to leave me... :o

2) I was on my way to work on Wednesday, October 8th, 2003. I was heading westbound, and had just gone through a green light when a 73 year old woman in a Ford Taraus heading east turned left, and directly into my lane. I was traveling at about 60mph, and only had time to slam on the brake and scrub off about 10mph, and say a VERY quick prayer. After impact I checked my limbs and found I could move everything but that my right lower leg felt funny, kinda "rubbery". As it turns out, the force of my body weight being slammed down on my leg going from 50 to 0 almost instantly broke both the tibbia and the fibula in my right leg at about ski-boot height. I now have a rod in my leg, and am on the slow and painful road to recovery, but I really thought i was dead just before impact. I honestly believe that I had a gaurdian angel watching over me. I havn't seen the car photos yet, but everyone I have talked to who has seen the car said it looked fatal. At least it was a company car (Suzuki Verona), and not my Sebring.

I was in Nags Head, NC at the beach when a woman came running up saying that her children were stuck in the ocean. Being a former lifeguard, I immediately went in to pull them out. I was able to push both children up onto a sand bar, but could not make it on to the bar myself. I was being pulled further and further out from shore. I started to swim parallel to the shore, thinking that I could break out of the rip. I was starting to swallow some water and became somewhat disoriented. I started to swim the other direction parallel to the beach. I was quickly becoming exhausted. By this time, I knew that I was going to drown and I was thinking that this was really a f*ing, stupid way to die! The Fire Department arrived at about this time and sent 2 swimmers out to me. They approached and asked how I was doing? I replied that I would be doing better on the beach! They drug my water-logged ass out and put me into an ambulance. No light at the end of the tunnel, no life flashing before my eyes, just the thought that this was a stupid way to die.

I haven't had anything quite as dramatic as poet_x's near-encounter, but when i was younger I was very veru ill with a virus. Any flu/cold triggered my asthma. This one time i started getting shorter and shorter of breath until everything went white & peaceful for what felt like eternity. I lost awareness of the room I was in. I suddenly realized what was happening, so i thought i should force deep breaths & the whiteness gradually faded.

It felt like such a vivid dream, and these days i just play it down as insignificant, but i often wonder if I hadn't of forced the deep breaths whether i'd be here today. I doubt it. It gives me a strange empathy with people who have died and come back. :confused:

<B>JOEL</B> : i'm glad you're still with us man...

Last edited:
In 1987 I was quite envolved in trying to make a go at a career in racing. Driving most anything I could to tune my skills I started in karts and stayed w/them to gain exposure and experience while running other open wheel cars. Before sit-up gearbox stuff became popular as most here are familar with doing the laydown or "enduro" racing was the thing. Road racing and high speeds laying flat @ 2" off the pavement.

At a race on a 2.7 mile course that was a temp set-up on a county park. Fast and smooth, I would compare it to the "Isle of Man" not your modern saftey standards if you know what I mean. I'm running in a lead pack of 3 karts with skies above that appear to be ready to rain. With a track this large I'm aware that it could be raining on one section and not another, however no one is slowing down as the corner workers are SCCA folks and we know there good a what they do and of course I think nothing is going to happen. The short of this is, that one portion of the track gets hit by a downpour while myself and another driver are coming over a crest of a hill the leads into a downhill sweaper. I can hear him behind me untill the rain pounds the helmet as I lift off the gas w/o hiting the breaks. So while its pouring I stay on it the best I can w/o breaking the slicks loose until the pavement goes from wet to dry. I realize that Rob isn't behind b/c I can't hear him... then as I approach the crest in the hill again I see red flags and workers heading to area off the side of the track. I see split hay bails and the damage to small trees where Rob left the track into a wooded area. I will spare what then happened as a result of this accident, but it took his life. Near death for me, yes it could have easily been me that slid off in the rain. I thank the Lord it wasn't and won't ask why.

I have never spoken about this to anyone but my wife. I only share this as a reminder that we need to be thankful for the time we have. Be safe, have fun, but be safe!! Remember what Xmas is and why. Tell those that are close that you love them, hug your mom & dad more often. You never know..:)

Back