Anyone recognize this? JH4NA1151NT000077

Here is the car I am looking at getting.

It is a 1992 NSX with 79K miles.

Does it look familiar to anyone?

nsx1.jpg

nsx2.jpg

nsx3.jpg

------------------
NetViper -= 100% Stock EBP 2000 Civic Si =- Still looking to get an NSX, but at least I can live life at 8,000 RPM!

just noticed something else,front air-dam on bottom edge has a crease?left of center.

Uh.. headlights are not aligned. Hood does not align with nose. Bottom half of nose looks slightly bent. Missing chin spoiler. Turn signals looks extremely new and clean for a car with 79k miles. Want to bet lunch that this car has been hit in the front and not repaired so much as bandaided?

P.S. The rear wheels are recessed about the same as stock but the fronts stick out from under the fender. Probably not the correct offset for an NSX.

Originally posted by Lud:
Uh.. headlights are not aligned. Hood does not align with nose. Bottom half of nose looks slightly bent. Missing chin spoiler. Turn signals looks extremely new and clean for a car with 79k miles. Want to bet lunch that this car has been hit in the front and not repaired so much as bandaided?

P.S. The rear wheels are recessed about the same as stock but the fronts stick out from under the fender. Probably not the correct offset for an NSX.

Would the car not having the correct offset in the front cause any problems with this car?

------------------
NetViper -= 100% Stock EBP 2000 Civic Si =- Still looking to get an NSX, but at least I can live life at 8,000 RPM!

Originally posted by NetViper:

Would the car not having the correct offset in the front cause any problems with this car?

The wheels appear to be the least of the problems with this car, and the most easily fixed.

Originally posted by Nsxotic:
Dave, I gotta tell ya to spend the extra few bucks and buy a clean, non-repainted NSX. You'll be so glad you did. This one has definitely had some front end work. AND this can be seen blatantly from a couple pictures; I can imagine it in person.

To be honest Todd, the thing the intices me about this car is the financing. (96 months). That is why I was looking at it. If I could find a nicer car and still be able to get that kind of financing, I would be very happy.

Now, my logic is probably flawed, so please correct me if I don't make sense. If I get this car at 460 a month/96 months, I plan to sell in 2 years. So I really am not building any equity - more like just paying financing. Still, I do not plan to keep the car all 8 years. Does it make sense to me to try and get a low monthly note, try and put very little down and then sell the car in 2 years? ( the price should be similar to current NSX prices -- and for this example, lets say I get it for 26 and sell for 23-24 in two years).

Thanks

------------------

Originally posted by Lud:
$450/mo over 96 months = 14% interest. That is not good at all.

He quoted the rate at 10%.

------------------

Bad car. Bad financing. Bad deal.

I agree with Todd - spend a little bit more and get one that's in great shape. If your finances don't permit that, then keep saving until they do. Don't get something that you're likely to regret - especially when you know the difference between a good one and a bad one.

NetViper,

Is the hood really that misaligned in person? That photo makes it look pretty extreme, but Im wondering if that photo is deceptive. It seems they couldn't have been *that* off, although you never know...

On a side note, your post got me curious so I went to check mine and yikes! The right-side "margins" of the hood are about .5mm (I measured) wider than the left
frown.gif

The car feels fine and really doesn't look like it's had any work done to it, or has had anything replaced. The front spoiler is actually ready for a repaint thanks to 50k miles of scrapes and rock chips.

Anyway, it's too late for me, but not for you! Bring a ruler
wink.gif

[This message has been edited by spookyp (edited 22 February 2002).]

Originally posted by NetViper:
He quoted the rate at 10%.

Did you do the math? For a typical car loan (straight line amortized) $26k principal over 96 months with a $450/mo payment is about 14%. At 10% the payment would be just under $400/mo.

Either there is something else included in that monthly payment or there is confusion about the terms of the loan.

here goes:

I just went by there this morning and got back a few minutes ago. I was going to Private email you about the findings but I wanted to let everyone see it so they can know about his specific car and also help with coming up with a REAL price for it.:

1992 NSX VIN# JH4NA1151NT000077 Red ext. Black Int.

79,483.5 Miles (before we drove it a couple)

Cosmetic

Wheels: TSW 17" back w/ 245/40/17
TSW 16" front w/ 225/40/16 (stick out way more than stock= wrong offset?)

Trunk was clean and had an after market Alpine 6 disc CD changer that looked a little banged up. Had a strange smell too, like they shampooed the hell out of it for some reason.

All hydraulic lifts (arms for engine cover/trunk) worked fine.

Engine:

Looked clean and stock except for after market Cone type Intake/Filter added

Interior:

All trim; Dash, doors...the finish was rippling a little bit in key areas and the passenger side door trim and vents were cracked and broken in places.

The Clock button cover was broken off and missing

Leather was all in better than average condition for this year/mileage NSX and there was no visible wear through on the side bolsters.

The Drivers seat worked fine in all positions, however the Passenger side seat failed to move front to back on 95% of my tries. Even with the floor mats removed it felt like it came off track or was grinding a gear in the seat motor on one side.

Passenger side sun visor vanity mirror cover was torn off but held in place.

Dash was cracked slightly near the center on a small 1.5 inch plastic piece closest to the windshield.

The rest of the interior "seemed" well maintained and pretty clean.

Exterior Cosmetic:

The Passenger side door had a huge ding. Although it did not have any paint damage as wasn't very DEEP...it was about 4 inches or so long and would bother me.

I noticed and area on the stock exhaust where in the center of the main housing it seemed like it had been dented, then fixed and sanded down. (Don't know what this is all about...I have seen very few STOCK NSX exhausts up close)

From the nose back the car seemed in nice condition from my POV. Nothing seemed misaligned or out of place. From the nose BACK.

The nose was where the most questionable area lies, as most of you can tell from the pictures above. There has definitely been a repaint that much is obvious with slight spider webbing in the paint as it is now. So it may not have been a very good job, although the color seems to match well. The Bumper fits the fenders well and the fenders seemed to be the correct proportions, but the hood was definitely damaged in some way. I do believe it was a minor collision of some sort but enough to where the hood had to be straightened a little and rubbed up against something black and plastic underneath. There was still some evidence of the rub when opened. This looked to me like the original hood but you can tell that it was bent as the under side support structure doesn't quite fit the shape of the hood now in some areas.

The blinkers are definitely NEW and must have been replaced. But due to what...is up in the air.

The chin spoiler is missing all together but I don't know if it had been ripped off or LEFT off.

The Lip is also BENT at the bottom edge of the air intake in the nose. It is slightly visible in the pictures above as well.

Under the front hood, everything looked very clean. The radiator looked NEW, but might not be. The original SPARE tire was in place and none of the fittings looked to be molested or moved. The BOLTS holding on the front bumper were actually LOOSE and could almost be hadn tightened. The washers between parts could be spun freely on the drivers side of the assembly leading one to believe a new bumper has been put on but not very well. I couldn't tell if it was due to parts not lining up correctly or careless work.

The Passenger side head light goes up slower than the driver's side, and also makes a terrible rattle noise and vibrate horribly when going back down. (Also consequences of collision)

Driving

The engine seemed to run pretty strong and the engine pulled smoothly with no strange noises or problems. The Clutch and gearbox engagement was good and also felt very smooth with good pedal play and no signs of abuse.

The front end however, was a bit twitchy and seemed to pull. I don't know if this is due to the tire/wheel set up in front, or air pressures (which LOOKED good) or alignment. I just know, it felt a bit light and twitchy compared to other early year NSXs I've driven. The Turn in seemed normal though and there were no noises that made me think the steering or suspension was out of whack. (?)

VTEC worked ok too... ^_^ However, the sales guy was white knuckling the door handles at 7000 PRM in 2nd...barely going highway traffic speeds. But, there was no problem with the engine's ability to rev up and make power.

And that nearly concludes the inspection I was able to give. I was not able to get tranny number to check for snap ring range...and the sales guy had no idea either. This led to the most interesting bit about the car's history though. In his search for whatever records they had on the car, he brought me a recent repair sheet that listed some things of note.

I don't remember the exact wording but I will put in quotes what I DO recall exactly:

"water damage shorting"...the ECU or something

"Ignition coils" replaced or worked on due to shortage

other various little things listed...but the scariest part was the mechanics comments at the bottom of the page. It went something like this:

"Due to CARELESS actions on this car"...(then some more words I don't remember exactly)..."there could be more problems yet to occur"...something, something...blah blah.

When I asked the guy to make me a copy so I could send it in email...he just said he would send YOU (net viper) a copy himself and quickly policed it up and put it back in the file. It was a yellow repair sheet and once I think he read what I was reading he wasn't too eager to let me have a copy to show you.

I asked about price too and he said 29K. I would think with a CLEAR history on what this car has been through and based on the visual cues this is a 25K$ car at most. The parts I'd be most worried about are the things I have the least info about regarding their recent repairs. Words like "shortage", "water", and "CARELESS Actions" raise big red flags to me.

Oh and BTW, the A/C worked ok but never got super cold. I also noticed that there was something on the repair sheet about the A/C as well.

So there you have it.

Hope this helped. ^_^

------------------
Got dat ol' vee six cilnder inder?

http://www.nextestdrive.net

Scott did a great job. Thank you so much for your help!!

------------------

I wouldnt buy- NetViper- Im looking in the same range as you, but I'm always remembering to be patient as possible, dont buy someone else's headache...the mere fact that the forum can tell just by pics about damage should say something. If you do buy, good luck, but I know there are many early "garage queen" NSX's out there =)

------------------
93RX7TT-(4sale for NSX!)
95 Legend LS Coupe
89 Mazda MPV-Daily Beater

Originally posted by flaminio:
So you're gonna buy it then
smile.gif
?

-Bob

No, I meant scott did a great job pointing out that this NSX is a money pit and not worth near what they are asking.

I will still inspect it myself while I am there, but chances are I will pass on it.

------------------

I just found out that this car is a theft-recovered vehicle. The front end damage done must also have been significant, as the ABS accumulator and pressure switch had been replaced when the damage was "repaired".

I'd also stay away from this car.

EDR

Wow.. this car is like a death trap. Does Lud have an area to post VIN #'s of cars that have failed our inspections? If not, It might be a good idea to start making one. We can really help save someone the headache of buying a "bad" NSX.

------------------

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
How do you determine "pass" vs "fail"? How do you update the information if problems are repaired?

I would say when a dealer is hiding information about a car that is found out by people on this site who inspect the car, I would say that NSX should be flagged. We don't have to give them a pass or fail, more like a "Here is what we know about this NSX ..." And the potential buyer can make the call.

Don't you think this would be helpful?

------------------

Back